[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's april(almost)

Randall

And by the way, Swerski, Paxil and other psychotopic drugs are not necessarily a final solution for chemical imbalances, especially for anxiety which can be regaulated but not elimated with drugs.

They're much better solutions than Josh Gordon, which compromises one's judgement and many scientists claim to be psychologically-addictive.

I've gotten a good chuckle out of the "pot is a harmless drug" statements here. You don't have to be a pampered pro athlete with psychological issues and little common sense for pot to mess up your life. A good friend of mine (and one of the most intelligent people I've ever known) smoked heavily from about his junior year of high school through college. He decided that it would be a good idea to not cut his hair and go to his med school interview sporting dreadlocks. Better yet, he also decided that it would be a good idea to bring a nickel bag with him on the plane (not addictive, my ass). Security busted his ass and he ended up in jail.

And you should at least see Ricky's lifestyle choices and know he's not putting a lot of 'roids or amphetamines in his system to "get it up" every weekend.

I don't support steroid or amphetamine use, either.

And speaking of Ricky's lifestyle choices, why isn't he being a father to his illegitimate children?

Ricky's a phenominal talent and I wish him the best, but you'll have to excuse me for not joining in on the Ricky knob-slobbing.

Edited by Bill Swerski

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're much better solutions than Josh Gordon, which compromises one's judgement and many scientists claim to be psychologically-addictive.

I've gotten a good chuckle out of the "pot is a harmless drug" statements here. You don't have to be a pampered pro athlete with psychological issues and little common sense for pot to mess up your life. A good friend of mine (and one of the most intelligent people I've ever known) smoked heavily from about his junior year of high school through college. He decided that it would be a good idea to not cut his hair and go to his med school interview sporting dreadlocks. Better yet, he also decided that it would be a good idea to bring a nickel bag with him on the plane (not addictive, my ass). Security busted his ass and he ended up in jail. I don't support steroid or amphetamine use, either.

And speaking of Ricky's lifestyle choices, why isn't he being a father to his illegitimate children?

Ricky's a phenominal talent and I wish him the best, but you'll have to excuse me for not joining in on the Ricky knob-slobbing.

Intelligent? :D

Part of me agrees with you Bill, but part of me wants to see someone who made a mistake turn their life around and succeed. I'm not gonna join the love fest either, but will be happy if he does stay clean and is a positive role model to those in a similar situation.

Edited by The Wolf

Intelligent? :D

Yes, this guy is smarter than $hit. He's a neurologist now. But years of heavy toking obviously compromised his decision-making.

Part of me agrees with you Bill, but part of me wants to see someone who made a mistake turn their life around and succeed. I'm not gonna join the love fest either, but will be happy if he does stay clean and is a positive role model to those in a similar situation.

Then we agree completely, because I'd like to see Ricky ditch his irresponsible lifestyle and live like an adult as well.

But I'm sick and tired of the excuses that people are coming up with here ("he has a disorder", "it's not his fault", "pot's a safe drug"). Everybody has problems. Mature adults deal with them in a proactive, constructive manner. People like Ricky don't. Hopefully that's changing now.

Then we agree completely, because I'd like to see Ricky ditch his irresponsible lifestyle and live like an adult as well.

But I'm sick and tired of the excuses that people are coming up with here ("he has a disorder", "it's not his fault", "pot's a safe drug"). Everybody has problems. Mature adults deal with them in a proactive, constructive manner. People like Ricky don't. Hopefully that's changing now.

OK...we are on the same page. I have empathy for those with disorders, but I can't deal with excuses like..."it's not his fault." Our hand ls dealt by life...how we choose to play our cards is up to us.

OK...we are on the same page. I have empathy for those with disorders, but I can't deal with excuses like..."it's not his fault." Our hand ls dealt by life...how we choose to play our cards is up to us.

I don't think anyone here is saying "it's not his fault." I can only really speak for myself in saying that I think it is his fault and we all agree that he seems to be taking some steps to takesome adult responsibility.

I can only hope he turn out like your "neurologist friend." But if I ever need some brain work done I will PM you so I can stay away from that hospital.

So... um Bill... you drink at all?

Let's not make this a question of legality 'cause I am well aware one is illigal and one is not. You've made it it an issue of addiction, decision making and the crap you put in your body.

Just wondering from what direction the stones are coming

Edited by Duchess Jack

I don't think anyone here is saying "it's not his fault." I can only really speak for myself in saying that I think it is his fault and we all agree that he seems to be taking some steps to takesome adult responsibility.

I can only hope he turn out like your "neurologist friend." But if I ever need some brain work done I will PM you so I can stay away from that hospital.

Not my friend...the doc is a friend of Swerski.

So... um Bill... you drink at all?

Of course. I also drink about four cups of coffee a day. Do I fail drug tests at work and father children out of wedlock? No.

:D

Hey, he's good. I remember this guy getting baked before taking the AP Calculus test back in high school and getting a 5. He also scored in the 90th percentile on the MCAT and was probably high then as well.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Come on now Swerski, you were making this an issue of addiction. You also sited your buddy and how he grew out his hair and - like an idiot - tried to take herb on a plane - like that's somehow standard for pot smokers.

Hate to break it to you, but smart does not equal good decision making. I've known quite a few people with PhDs - and by and large - they're more clueless on average than all the pot heads I know.

Chances are your friend may have had an issue with the former rather than the latter.

So - between your throwing of stones, answer me this...

Do you think that Herb or Alcohol is more addictive?

Do you think that a drunk or pophead is more likely to make bad decisions.

fwiw - I've never forgotten the night prior when hitting a bong.

I am not saying that smoking pot is right - but rather that (outside of laws that make no sense - which wasn't the foundation of your argument) a guy who drinks knocking a guy who smokes, mixes a 'holier than thou' mentality of Blitz proportions with a level of hypocracy reserved for one of spains half hearted fishing expiditions.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Hate to break it to you, but smart does not equal good decision making.

No kidding. I see it at work every day.

Chances are your friend may have had an issue with the former rather than the latter.

Nope, he didn't make bad decisions until he started smoking tree several times a day. It almost cost him his career.

Do you think that Herb or Alcohol is more addictive?

Oh, definitely alcohol. But I also believe that pot is a lot easier to abuse.

Do you think that a drunk or pothead is more likely to make bad decisions.

That's difficult to say.

fwiw - I've never forgotten the night prior when hitting a bong.

So you've hit the pipe before, eh? No wonder you're being so defensive. :D

a guy who drinks knocking a guy who smokes, mixes a 'holier than thou' mentality of Blitz proportions with a level of hypocracy reserved for one of spains half hearted fishing expiditions.

You sound like one of those NORML morans scrambling to defend your habit. :D

This has nothing to do with me being "holier" than potheads. I drink responsibly, maybe once or twice a week. I also drink a ton of caffeine and had a two-pack-a-week smoking habit in college. That said, none of these bad habits have gotten me suspended from work, resulted in children out of wedlock, or landed me in jail.

I realize that many people smoke tree responsibly, just as many people drink alcohol responsibly. One could even argue that pot is a "healthier" vice than drinking. However, the "pot is a harmless drug" crap that I've heard in this thread is complete garbage. Like alcohol and tobacco, it needs to be used responsibly. Ricky Williams does (or did) not use pot responsibly. It cost him a year's paycheck. And I strongly suspect that at least a couple of his illegitimate children were the result of Ricky being too high to bother putting on a rubber.

Edited by Bill Swerski

So you've hit the pipe before, eh? No wonder you're being so defensive.

I am most certainly a pot head - but have no reason to be defensive about it. I just hate to see people crusified when they've made positive changes in their life.

Doesn't Ricky have to pay back a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus if the NFL doesn't reinstate him? Sounds to me like Ricky cares more about not owing money that he's undoubtedly already spent than playing football again.

This was the quote that pissed me off. Sounds to you because....um.... ?

You sound like one of those NORML morans scrambling to defend your habit.

Never even looked into the group - but I am all for legalization.

I drink responsibly, maybe once or twice a week. I also drink a ton of caffeine and had a two-pack-a-week smoking habit in college. That said, none of these bad habits have gotten me suspended from work, resulted in children out of wedlock, or landed me in jail.

Its sucks that people can get suspended from work for a habit that is less harmful than one they promote at Christmas Parties, picnics and HoeHoes. Whatever though - testing is their right. At the end of the day though - falling afoul of an assbackwards policy does not make somebody a bad guy. Funny that you think to know what Ricky's motivations for coming back to the NFL are - and the manner in which he fathered his children. This is all based upon?

I realize that many people smoke tree responsibly, just as many people drink alcohol responsibly. One could even argue that pot is a "healthier" vice than drinking. However, the "pot is a harmless drug" crap that I've heard in this thread is complete garbage. Like alcohol and tobacco, it needs to be used responsibly. Ricky Williams does (or did) not use pot responsibly. It cost him a year's paycheck. And I strongly suspect that at least a couple of his illegitimate children were the result of Ricky being too high to bother putting on a rubber.

Once again, we've an issue of a bad policy. If folk are testing for herb, they should also be testing for alcohol. Whatever the case though - its their choice. Further I find the idea that folk who smoke herb (laugh a lot, munch and take a nap) father more illigitimate children than folk who drink (beer goggles, tripping over themselves, peeing all over themselves, spilling things, getting beligerant, driving and forgetting most the night before) laughable. Measuring worst case vs worst case - seems to me that herb smokers on average have their heads way more about them.

As far as responsible goes - we're talking about a vice that can be tested for months afterwards. You said you drink a couple times a week. A pot smoker can smoke once every four months and get nabbed. I think that your tone might change if the tables were turned. Just look at prohibition. There were so many 'irresponsible' people that the government just said 'f-it'. Its not even like they kept things quiet and in house only to be tested four months after the fact. Folk were flipping crazy about their drinking.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Funny that you think to know what Ricky's motivations for coming back to the NFL are - and the manner in which he fathered his children. This is all based upon?

Common sense. Ricky left the NFL for a full year to hit the bong... but then came back right around the time that the Dolphins were talking about recouping part of his signing bonus. And now he wants to come back to the NFL again... right after he took a one-year suspension without pay. And I'm wrong for questioning his motivation? I really hope that Ricky has taken his head out of his ass and is serious about wanting to play football for something other than a paycheck. But given the aforementioned evidence, you'll have to excuse me for being skeptical.

Oh, and I only "strongly suspected" that Ricky's inability to put on a rubber several times was the direct result of him being high out of his mind. Try reading that post again. :D

Once again, we've an issue of a bad policy. If folk are testing for herb, they should also be testing for alcohol.

I didn't realize that alcohol consumption was illegal.

Whatever the case though - its their choice. Further I find the idea that folk who smoke herb (laugh a lot, munch and take a nap) father more illigitimate children than folk who drink (beer goggles, tripping over themselves, peeing all over themselves, spilling things, getting beligerant, driving and forgetting most the night before) laughable. Measuring worst case vs worst case - seems to me that herb smokers on average have their heads way more about them.

Nice strawman argument, but I never claimed that it would.

As far as responsible goes - we're talking about a vice that can be tested for months afterwards. You said you drink a couple times a week. A pot smoker can smoke once every four months and get nabbed. I think that your tone might change if the tables were turned.

No, if the tables were turned, I'd put away the bottle and light up a spliff. Responsible adults are more concerned about keeping their jobs and getting paid than using their drug of choice.

I have nothing against pot-smoking, but I do have a serious problem with people who claim that pot is "harmless" or that it's a "victimless crime." That's complete crap. The children that Ricky doesn't bother to raise are in a very similar situation as those of deadbeat, alcoholic fathers. Hell, even cough medicine can be abused.

DJ ignore the tool........

Did I also mention that smoking too much pot can lead to brain damage? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Common sense. Ricky left the NFL for a full year to hit the bong...

BILL, he did it earlier but don't think there's any proof of that. When he retired he was in India and it looks like he quit and got into yoga.

Was he tested positive for pot after India? I haven't seen any evidence of that. If he has quit he should be given credit for it.

As for pot as medical treatment for cancer I'm for it. It does help some better than drugs.

Onterrio, now that's a different story. The NFL last year didn't even take his comeback seriously. From memory they said he hadn't been in the sunbstance abuse program and said try again in octover.

Ooooh, oooh, I have a question for ya Bill. Have you ever cheated on your wife?

Nope.

Dear Huddle Pot-heads,

As he has stated more than once in this thread, Swerski does not believe that pot-smoking is immoral. He only wanted to point out the fact that Josh Gordon use is NOT "harmless." Like any other drug (including alcohol and tobacco), Josh Gordon needs to be used responsibly or it can have deleterious effects on one's life. So you can take your paranoia-driven hyperbole and straw man arguments elsewhere.

Yours truly,

Swerski

Nope.

Dear Huddle Pot-heads,

As he has stated more than once in this thread, Swerski does not believe that pot-smoking is immoral. He only wanted to point out the fact that Josh Gordon use is NOT "harmless." Like any other drug (including alcohol and tobacco), Josh Gordon needs to be used responsibly or it can have deleterious effects on one's life. So you can take your paranoia-driven hyperbole and straw man arguments elsewhere.

Yours truly,

Swerski

That's right and I only defended Ricky because from what I've seen he has quit.

I believe Ricky has a lot to offer - In 2005 in limited action he played pretty darn good regardless that he was coming back to play so he didn't have to pay back the signing bonus. I would rather have a mellow Ricky then freaking PacMan or Chris Henry. Ricky has never given less then 100% when he has been on the feild and for that reason I am behind him 100%

Career Statistics YR TM G RSH YD Y/R TD TRG REC YD Y/R TD FPT RANK VBD

1999 NO 12 253 884 3.5 2 28 172 6.1 0 118 27 0

2000 NO 10 248 1000 4.0 8 44 409 9.3 1 195 18 36

2001 NO 16 313 1245 4.0 6 60 511 8.5 1 218 8 83

2002 MIA 16 383 1853 4.8 16 59 47 363 7.7 1 324 2 171 [game logs] [splits]

2003 MIA 16 392 1372 3.5 9 62 50 351 7.0 1 232 9 90 [game logs] [splits]

2005 MIA 12 168 743 4.4 6 20 17 93 5.5 0 120 27 0 [game logs] [splits]

TOT 82 1757 7097 4.0 47 141+ 246 1899 7.7 4 1207 380

Dan Patrick had a call with Ricky and it was on NFL Live. He said he would play for the Dolphins or if traded whereever he would be sent. Ronnie Brown hasn't really been the man anywhere so it may be there. Those two make a good tandem.

Randy Mueller said there has been no discussion of Ricky, but that may change(not his words) if reinstated.

It appears Ricky has changed his life, but the tests the league has done over the last year may dispute that. We'll see.

Audio available here.

Edited by Randall

DJ - Not that Swerski needs to be defended, or for the fact that Swerski probably doesnt want to be defended,...but You can't critize Swerski because the US government has made pot illegal and Swerski is following the rules. I understand you dont agree with US drug policy, but the reality is, whether you like it or not, that the Josh Gordon is illegal...regardless of whether pot or alchohol is more harmful, which IMHO is a whole different topic. Ricky broke the rules......Ricky gets punished. All this being said, I would really like to see Ricky the human being (not the NLF player) get control of his life so that he is happy and acheiving his goals...then I would like so see him come back to the NFL and kick some arse!

Edited by Pancake

:D @ all the moralists judging Ricky as a worthless pothead. The percentage of NFL players who have/do indulge in Josh Gordon (and harder stuff) is much much much higher than most people care to know. The ones that stand out are the very few who are dumb enough not to keep clean for a few weeks prior to their test. You think Nate Newton never took a puff before he was arrested with his (enormous) body weight in Josh Gordon in his car? I'd be willing to bet everything I own that 25% or more of the current Dolphins roster either currently, or has frequently in the past, burned some trees. Ricky's just flaky enough of a personality and outstanding enough of a talent to be a lightning rod (and, unfortunately) a poster boy for NFL substance abuse and discipline thereof . . .

Peace

policy

I've known quite a few people with PhDs - and by and large - they're more clueless on average than all the pot heads I know.

I'm thinking this says a whole lot more about your own (in)ability to discern cluelessness than it does anything else.

I'm thinking this says a whole lot more about your own (in)ability to discern cluelessness than it does anything else.

Now most of the PhD's I've known have been people who were absolutely brilliant in their line of work, but often had some real trouble with day-to-day life. I used to work as the network admin/webmaster for my college (a highly regarded residential college under the MSU umbrella), and I saw some of the most brilliant people do some of the dumbest things.

Peace

policy

Now most of the PhD's I've known have been people who were absolutely brilliant in their line of work, but often had some real trouble with day-to-day life. I used to work as the network admin/webmaster for my college (a highly regarded residential college under the MSU umbrella), and I saw some of the most brilliant people do some of the dumbest things.

Peace

policy

My point exactly... its kind of like how the Enterprise needs to turn down lift support to power up the shields... these folks are typically so dang smart in their field... that certain day to day things are lost to them.