[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings finally make another signing

CaP'N GRuNGe

Doss signs contract

Wednesday, April 4th, 2007 by Kevin Seifert The Vikings have signed free agent S Mike Doss to a 1-year contract. The team announced the agreement this morning. According to NFL.com, the contract is worth $1 million.

The length and terms of the deal make sense, considering Doss missed the final nine games for Indianapolis last season because of a torn ACL. Current Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was his position coach with the Colts.

Doss said this morning that his knee feels “pretty good.” He is convinced he will be ready to participate fully when training camp begins in July. To help demonstrate his progress, Doss participated in the March 10 Pro Day of his almer mater, Ohio State.

“I think I got a chance to show teams that I am functioning and will be able to contribute this season,” Doss said. “You can’t win games in April, but I’ll be ready to roll in training camp.”

Doss had seven interceptions in four seasons in Indianapolis. He joins a crowded safety group that includes 2006 starters Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith. The Vikings also re-signed S Tank Williams, who missed the 2006 season because of a fractured knee cap.

“It will be a great situation to have three or four guys that can start anywhere in this league,” Doss said. “Competition will bring out the best in each individual.”

The Vikings are also talking to two free agent receivers: Colts WR Aaron Moorehead, who wrapped up a visit Tuesday, and Jaguars WR Cortez Hankton, who is scheduled to depart tonight.

When healthy, has Doss shown much Colts fans?

The team continues to look to add to its stable of 4th and 5th string receivers.

Doss is an average NFL strong safety. He cannot play free safety, as he is poor in coverage. But as a run-first SS, he is decent. Had a lot of minor injuries, and a suspension for firing a gun outside a bar, but played well at times.

I really had higher hopes for him when he was drafted. In fact, I wanted the Colts to take him in the first round (they took Dallas Clark instead), and Doss was there when they drafted in the second. Shows how much I know.

A rookie sixth round pick out of Howard, Antoine Bethea, beat Doss out of his starting spot this year, and actually played a lot better than Doss ever did. . .

he was supposed to come here...but Vikes signed him...

good signing...I wanted to see him paired with Dawkins...

of course I thought there was no problem with Lewis as SS before he left, but what do I know?...I mean, I didn't know he was supposed to cover Joe Horn by himself....thats why he's a safety and not a corner...

Doss is not a boy scout...

Doss was suspended for one game in 2005 for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. After a May 2005 incident outside an Ohio restaurant, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon and firing a weapon within city limits.

He was sentenced to 40 hours of community service, fined $1,000 and ordered to destroy the gun.

Childress has clearly indicated that the team will only sign boy scouts several times. These "Childress Guys" don't seem much different than the rest of the team. :D

I'm not sure how I would go about doing that if I were so ordered. :D

That didn't make much sense to me either. Too bad he wasn't around when Daunte and Bennett was getting chased out of the bars with bullets when some rednecks didn't feel like celebrating a new contract with them. :D

Edited by MikesVikes

That didn't make much sense to me either. Too bad he wasn't around when Daunte and Bennett was getting chased out of the bars with bullets when some rednecks didn't feel like celebrating a new contract with them. :D

Can you, or any other Vikes homer, how the team feels about Greg Blue? I've read reports that they like his hitting and tackling, but then I see this signing and it makes me wonder if they feel he might be able to play? Any help would be great.

TIA

When healthy, has Doss shown much Colts fans?

Doss is great in run support, but isn't very good at all in pass coverage. And he gets hurt a lot. In other words, he's good enough to be a starting NFL SS, but I can't say that he's much better than average.

Can you, or any other Vikes homer, how the team feels about Greg Blue? I've read reports that they like his hitting and tackling, but then I see this signing and it makes me wonder if they feel he might be able to play? Any help would be great.

TIA

Here's a little piece on Blue.

link

In games when Doss started the Colts were 38-13 and should see time at both safety positions alongside current Vikings safeties Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith.

The move also may signal the Vikings intentions in the first round of the upcoming NFL Draft where they hold the seventh overall pick.

There has been widespread specualtion that the team was targeting LSU safety LaRon Landry with their top pick, but after signing Doss it would appear they have their safeties of the future in 2nd year safety Greg Blue and Doss.

Here's a little piece on Blue.

link

In games when Doss started the Colts were 38-13 and should see time at both safety positions alongside current Vikings safeties Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith.

The move also may signal the Vikings intentions in the first round of the upcoming NFL Draft where they hold the seventh overall pick.

There has been widespread specualtion that the team was targeting LSU safety LaRon Landry with their top pick, but after signing Doss it would appear they have their safeties of the future in 2nd year safety Greg Blue and Doss.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks :D