[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Asante Samuel New Deal or Trade

charty

Everyone saw this coming, or almost everyone.:D

Someone paying Seahawks21 for football research is like paying Micheal Jackson to babysit your kids.

:D or below:

Samuel eyes trade

Patriot unhappy with negotiations

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | April 5, 2007

The Patriots' negotiations with cornerback Asante Samuel took an acrimonious turn last night when Samuel told the NFL Network he wanted to be traded if things did not change course.

"This is to let everybody know that I'm not happy anymore and things are not going well," Samuel told reporter Adam Schefter. "At first I thought it was going well, but it's not.

"We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I'm worth one price and the other teams think I'm worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can't be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded."

Samuel, 26, added that if a long-term deal is not consummated with the Patriots, and he is not traded, he would be prepared to hold out for the entire season.

When reached by the Globe last night, Samuel said he would let his comments to the NFL Network stand and declined to elaborate.

Samuel, who tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions in 2006, was assigned the franchise tag Feb. 16. At the time, his agent, Alonzo Shavers, said, "We don't look at it as a bad thing. This is a step in the process in working toward a long-term deal."

Asked if Samuel was prepared to stage a Deion Branch-like holdout, Shavers said that was "not our intention at all."

Yet the lack of progress in recent contract talks has apparently altered those intentions.

When reached last night, spokesman Stacey James said the Patriots had no comment.

Samuel, who has a tattoo that reads "Get Paid," told the NFL Network that the Patriots informed him they would compensate him with "an elite contract" this offseason.

The sides had been speaking in recent weeks, but by the end of last week, there were signs of a significant gap in the negotiations.

If Samuel simply signed the franchise tender, he would earn a one-year salary worth $7.79 million. While that contract would pay Samuel the average of the top five cornerbacks from 2006, it would not include the large up-front bonus money or guarantees that are often part of a new contract. Because NFL contracts are not guaranteed, the bonuses and guarantees are the most valuable part of any deal for players.

Samuel's representatives have seen two recent contracts help establish the market for cornerbacks: Nate Clements signed an eight-year package with the 49ers that included $22 million in bonuses and guarantees, and Dre' Bly inked a five-year deal with the Broncos last week that included $16 million in bonuses and guarantees.

The Patriots and Samuel's representatives had also spoken during the 2006 season. In January, Samuel told the Globe that what the Patriots offered "isn't even worth discussing. It's disappointing. You want to believe they know what you've done. So you hope for the best, but you end up feeling underappreciated. You feel disrespected, especially how they come at you with so much negative stuff. They show you such a low regard.

"I took it personally at first. You'd think I would have been around this team long enough to realize it's all about business. So I'm putting it out of my mind."

In his interview with the NFL Network yesterday, Samuel said his hope remains to reach a long-term deal with the Patriots.

"But if it doesn't get done, I'm prepared to do what's best for me and my family," he said. "It's not what I want to do, but what I have to do. They're handling their business the way they feel they have to, and I'm going to do the same."

As a franchise player, Samuel can negotiate with other teams. If he signs an offer sheet with another club, and the Patriots elect not to match it, New England would be compensated with two first-round draft choices. Because of that steep compensation, it is rare for franchise players to sign offer sheets.

"The rest of the league knows I'm worth more than New England is offering, but they're scared of that [compensation]," Samuel told the NFL Network. "But I want to get this over with bad enough that I'm willing to work with any team to get a fair long-term deal done.

"I've been patient, haven't said anything bad, haven't said anything negative. But my patience has run out. Business is business. They handled their business their way and I'm handling my business my way. I hope not, I really hope not, but it's looking more and more like it could be time to move on."

Samuel, who enters his fifth NFL season in 2007, was a fourth-round draft choice of the Patriots in 2003 out of Central Florida. He has 16 career regular-season interceptions, as well as three playoff picks, two of which were returned for touchdowns in 2006. He has played in 59 career regular-season games and 11 playoff contests.

Dont you just love when people seem to know more than everyone else? Not only here, but EVERYWHERE apparently. Just like McGahee will now be the next Walter Payton just because he switched teams.... pff.

You guys crack me up. This happens 90% of the time that a big name player gets franchised. Wake up. He isn't going to sign an offer sheet somewhere else, and New England isn't going to trade him. It is that simple.

You guys crack me up. This happens 90% of the time that a big name player gets franchised. Wake up. He isn't going to sign an offer sheet somewhere else, and New England isn't going to trade him. It is that simple.

No team will sign him to an offer sheet. If they do, it would cost that team their next 2 #1 draft picks. No player is worth that.

The more likely scenario is that he refuses to sign the Franchise Contract, he threatens to hold out, and the Pats work out a trade (could be a 1st rounder, could be a 2nd and 3rd, could be anything). But yes, there is a very good possibility that Samuel will be traded.

Sure there is......who then, do you suppose, will start at corner for New England?? I mean seriously, what did you expect to hear coming from Samuel?? The public avenue is his ONLY bargaining chip.

Samuel will threaten and threaten then threaten some more. Then, all of a sudden, on the monday of the first game of the season, he will magically appear. Amazing, isn't it?

Sure there is......who then, do you suppose, will start at corner for New England?? I mean seriously, what did you expect to hear coming from Samuel?? The public avenue is his ONLY bargaining chip.

Samuel will threaten and threaten then threaten some more. Then, all of a sudden, on the monday of the first game of the season, he will magically appear. Amazing, isn't it?

sort of like mr deion branch?

whats really amazing is you

:D "We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I'm worth one price and the other teams think I'm worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can't be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Samuel is NO LONGER a free agent, having been franchised. How could he say that someone else will pay him more? Tampering? Another team is not allowed to talk to a player under contract, which Samuel has.

:D "We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I'm worth one price and the other teams think I'm worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can't be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Samuel is NO LONGER a free agent, having been franchised. How could he say that someone else will pay him more? Tampering? Another team is not allowed to talk to a player under contract, which Samuel has.

Actually any team can negotiate with Samuel right now, and even offer him a contract. And until he signs the franchise tender, he is technically a free agent.

The only problem is, if that if they agree on a contract, and the Pats decline to match (or work out other compensation), then the team that signed him must give up 2 first round picks. I can only remember that happening one time . . . Gilbert, I think, DT went from Redskins to Panthers, IIRC. Was a huge bust.

Hmm, guess I forgot about the whole unsigned franchise offer thing :D

makes sense now. I was wondering if Belichick was going to look into it. I know he suspected something with the Jets and Branch last year, but couldn't prove it.

:tup: That's ok. I just figured the Pats' fans were as uptight as their coach. :D

Patriots | Team talks trade with Redskins

Sun, 8 Apr 2007 11:54:32 -0700

Albert Breer, of the Boston Herald, reports the New England Patriots have been rumored to have been talking about a trade with the Washington Redskins, which would ship the Patriots 28th pick and CB Asante Samuel to the Redskins for the sixth overall pick. This would allow the Patriots to draft Louisiana State S LaRon Landry, an impact player who would be ready to start on the season opener.

I love draft season rumors.

I love how the Redskins treat draft picks with utter disdain. They hate the draft. They'd rather try and mash a bunch of veterans who played well in other systems into their own. It's worked well for them . . . :D

Edited by CaptainHook

I don't think this trade will happen, it really doesn't make sense for the Pats.

You lose your best corner just to move up 22 picks by swapping first round picks.

The Pats like those middle to late first round picks for salary reasons. I'm not sure what the pay scale is for the first round draft picks, but they wouldn't move up to the top 8 just to move up, they'd do it because a guy they'd love to have is still there.

I love how the Redskins treat draft picks with utter disdain. They hate the draft. They'd rather try and mash a bunch of veterans who played well in other systems into their own. It's worked well for them . . . :D

You are telling me! :tup::D

I don't think this trade will happen, it really doesn't make sense for the Pats.

You lose your best corner just to move up 22 picks by swapping first round picks.

The Pats like those middle to late first round picks for salary reasons. I'm not sure what the pay scale is for the first round draft picks, but they wouldn't move up to the top 8 just to move up, they'd do it because a guy they'd love to have is still there.

Who knows...maybe they are trying to get into a position to get Calvin Johnson :D

Besides, the real talent in this draft is in the top 12 picks...

1	Oakland	Jamarcus Russell	QB	LSU
2	Detroit	Calvin Johnson	WR	Georgia Tech
3	Cleveland	Brady Quinn	QB	Notre Dame
4	Tampa Bay	Joe Thomas	OT	Wisconsin
5	Arizona	Gaines Adams	DE	Clemson
6	Washington 	Amobi Okoye	DT	Louisville
7	Minnesota 	Adrian Peterson	RB	Oklahoma
8	Atlanta (from Houston)	Laron Landry	DB	LSU
9	Miami	Leon Hall	CB	Michigan
10	Houston (from Atlanta)	  Levi Brown	OT	Penn State
11	San Francisco	Jamaal Anderson	DE	Arkansas
12	Buffalo 	Patrick Willis	LB	Mississippi

Maybe they trade up and then back down to get more picks. Or maybe they use that #6 and #24 to move up again to get a particular player like Thomas or Johnson. They have the guns to get to #2 with those two picks and maybe a kicker pick later in the draft.

Who knows what they will do...they are unpredictable. Having the #6 pick is a powerful asset come draft day, though.