[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacman suspended for entire 07 season

chiefjay

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the punishment fits the crime perfectly. :D

Exactly, you name one profession where you can be involved in 10 different incidents and still keep your job. I don't even think the NBA would put up swith this. Good job to Roger Goodell in setting a precedent like this. :D

In a letter to each player, Commissioner Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising NFL career, and have risked both your own safety and the safety of others through your off-field actions. In each of these respects, you have engaged in conduct detrimental to the NFL and failed to live up to the standards expected of NFL players. Taken as a whole, this conduct warrants significant sanction."
That seems to sum it up pretty nicely.

Exactly, you name one profession where you can be involved in 10 different incidents and still keep your job. I don't even think the NBA would put up swith this. Good job to Roger Goodell in setting a precedent like this. :D

Agreed completely. How let's hope these two individuals accept this like men and become the men that they profess to want to be. Let's also hope that this ruling serves as the deterrent towards other stupid behavior.

Jones and Henry were told that any failure to comply with these conditions will result in additional discipline, including possible banishment from the league.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Commissioner Goodell wrote to Jones and Henry. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

Good news ... and they better tread lightly during their time away. :D

finally.

I get tired of hearing the sob stories about how some of these players didn't have a father growing up and it is hard for them to know right from wrong. Umm hello. You know its wrong to do the things you've been doing because YOU'VE BEEN ARRESTED SEVERAL TIME!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to get interesting you have to admit. It's like the point system in Sports Illustrated - when we're talking completely off the field, what merits 4 games vs 8 vs full season. Part of the issue with Pac Man is he probably should have been given a 4 gamer pretty much the day he started int eh league, and they are just catching up. With Henry, he went through his issues so fast, it was impossible to keep up.

Then you got the Tank Johnson, but also the ton of DUI's (1 game?), spousal/other battery (2 games), and arrests (many) vs convictions/pleas (not so many - didn't I hear Pac Man hasn't been convicted yet).

I wholeheartedly love the sentiment - just going to be curious what happens now (also, I guarantee Pac Man gets his reduced on appeal).

on balance, i'm glad to see this. i think it's just a tad harsh on pacman's side. if it was like 10 games or something, it would still get the point across pretty clearly, and it wouldn't be forcing the guy to do absolutely nothing for a year and a half.

the thing i don't like is they sorta out of the blue decide to do this, when in the past they gave a slap on the wrist, like when jamal lewis was convicted of federal drug conspiracy charges, or when ray lewis was convicted of covering up evidence in a murder case. when you fail to be consistent as the NFL has, it makes it look like you're arbitrarily singling people out to cover your own ass for being so lax in the past.

I like it....but aside from the income loss....does this have the feeling of a "school suspension" to anyone else? In that I mean....it gives them MORE time to themselves to get into more trouble?

Will their respective teams require them to be at all practices, meetings and functions AND be on the sidelines (street clothes) during their games? :D

Pretty clear this is not the case. Jones isn't allowed to participate in team practices for the duration. I've got to say...I don't have too much faith he'll NOT get into trouble being turned out on his own basically.

Edited by SteelBunz

So now my question is.... how does the players union react to this?

I would hope they see the rightness of this and let it happen without any intervention from them.

The union in part was responsible for this. Goodell met with representatives from the players to discuss punishment for transgresions such as those Jones & Henry committed prior to the suspensions - punishment which the players' reps advocated as they saw some of their fellow players spinning wildly out of control with little repercussion.

Edited by Bronco Billy

the thing i don't like is they sorta out of the blue decide to do this, when in the past they gave a slap on the wrist, like when jamal lewis was convicted of federal drug conspiracy charges, or when ray lewis was convicted of covering up evidence in a murder case. when you fail to be consistent as the NFL has, it makes it look like you're arbitrarily singling people out to cover your own ass for being so lax in the past.

New regime, new rules. We learned that Roger Goodell is no Tags puppet. He is his own man and he has his own agenda. Plus, when the players themselves and the players union called for the league to take action against this sort of behavior, you had to know Goodell was going to come down hard.

New regime, new rules. We learned that Roger Goodell is no Tags puppet. He is his own man and he has his own agenda. Plus, when the players themselves and the players union called for the league to take action against this sort of behavior, you had to know Goodell was going to come down hard.

i don't think it's necessarily a result of the new regime. i think it's a result of things reaching a tipping point PR-wise.