[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacman suspended for entire 07 season

chiefjay

on balance, i'm glad to see this. i think it's just a tad harsh on pacman's side. if it was like 10 games or something, it would still get the point across pretty clearly, and it wouldn't be forcing the guy to do absolutely nothing for a year and a half.

the thing i don't like is they sorta out of the blue decide to do this, when in the past they gave a slap on the wrist, like when jamal lewis was convicted of federal drug conspiracy charges, or when ray lewis was convicted of covering up evidence in a murder case. when you fail to be consistent as the NFL has, it makes it look like you're arbitrarily singling people out to cover your own ass for being so lax in the past.

Maybe because a slap in the wrist has not done anything to correct the problem. So far since the end of the year, there have been 30 arrests. The code of conduct will be out soon and I am sure they will have standard penalties and maybe indefinite suspensions like the substance abuse program.

Edited by Outshined

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it....but aside from the income loss....does this have the feeling of a "school suspension" to anyone else? In that I mean....it gives them MORE time to themselves to get into more trouble?

Will their respective teams require them to be at all practices, meetings and functions AND be on the sidelines (street clothes) during their games? :D

Pretty clear this is not the case. Jones isn't allowed to participate in team practices for the duration. I've got to say...I don't have too much faith he'll NOT get into trouble being turned out on his own basically.

Gotta disagree with the analogy, mostly due to age and the suspending party. In school, you have a person not of a mature age who needs to be suspended by the controlling party in the life outside of parents, both keeping distraction to a minimum for other schools, issuing punishments and mostly letting kid and parents know where they are.

Now, Pac Man (although obviously not the most mature of individuals) is a grown man with a full time job. That job place has been embarassed, and has said - you go figure out your life, and if you can do that, you can come back to work here.

They are giving him some support, but don't need to be his "rehab from being a punk" center.

The union in part was responsible for this. Goodell met with representatives from the players to discuss punishment for transgresions such as those Jones & Henry committed prior to the suspensions - punishment which the players' reps advocated as they saw some of their fellow players spinning wildly out of control with little repercussion.

Ahhh.... wasn't aware of their participation. Thanks BB.

Ahhh.... wasn't aware of their participation. Thanks BB.

:D

Here you go:

link

Goodell names NFL player council

By Associated Press

FRI APR 6, 12:26 AM

NEW YORK - NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has established a six-member council of veteran players to advise him on a variety of issues, including player conduct.

Most of the players named to the council, which includes players union president Troy Vincent, met this week with Goodell on the same day the commissioner heard from Adam ``Pacman'' Jones of Tennessee and Chris Henry of Cincinnati to discuss their off-field problems. He is expected to announce disciplinary action next week.

It will meet regularly with Goodell and Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association to talk about a variety of issues, including player safety, health issues and competition.

``It is important that we know the perspective of players on issues that impact our game and our league,'' Goodell said in a statement issued by the league.

``We all share the same goal of improving the NFL in every way we can. Veteran leadership is critically important for our teams in many areas. These outstanding veterans can help the entire league just as they help their teams.''

The group includes Vincent, currently a free agent, along with safety Donovin Darius of Jacksonville; fullback Tony Richardson of Minnesota; center Jeff Saturday of Indianapolis; linebacker Takeo Spikes of Philadelphia and wide receiver James Thrash of Washington.

The establishment of the council is consistent with the way Goodell has worked since taking over from Paul Tagliabue last September. He spent the early part of his tenure visiting teams and talking with owners, officials and players to get a feel for the league.

``This is the first time in NFL history that a commissioner has used a group of current players in an advisory capacity,'' Upshaw said. ``The players are a great resource for our game and this is a direct way of getting their input. This is a good example of how the new commissioner is leading through strong communication. We appreciate what he is doing.''

i don't think it's necessarily a result of the new regime. i think it's a result of things reaching a tipping point PR-wise.

There's a lot of motivations for this action IMO.

Like you, I'm not willing to credit the new commish with a "There's a new sheriff in town" tough guy image. I think PR is what started it for the NFL and teams, and guilt by association for the players. That TJ Houshmanzadeh was trumpeting the "get tough" message publicly through the player/league talks says a lot to me with teammate, Chris Henry, being the second most publicized player after Pacman for criminal activity.

Anyway, I like the punishments.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

on balance, i'm glad to see this. i think it's just a tad harsh on pacman's side. if it was like 10 games or something, it would still get the point across pretty clearly, and it wouldn't be forcing the guy to do absolutely nothing for a year and a half.

the thing i don't like is they sorta out of the blue decide to do this, when in the past they gave a slap on the wrist, like when jamal lewis was convicted of federal drug conspiracy charges, or when ray lewis was convicted of covering up evidence in a murder case. when you fail to be consistent as the NFL has, it makes it look like you're arbitrarily singling people out to cover your own ass for being so lax in the past.

Agreed, but better late than never. And if Pacman is going to be "unfairly" made an example of, that's just fine with me.

Now, does he follow-up and review each bad apple and hand-out weighted suspensions as appropriate? Or, are these two the ONLY two that have done stuff to warrant a commissioner suspension...<cough>Tank Johnson<cough>?

]

I wonder. The good players don't want to be associated with behavior like this. They will probably use these two and an example going forward and not go into the past.

That's my guess but they could go after KRob, Odell Thurman and several Bengals players.

Here you go:

LOL I see I have to get out more.

Surprising to me that Upshaw is on board with this.... but then probably a lot of push from players like Vincent. Whatever though... good to see union involved 'cause I hate all the bull after the NFL does something disciplinary.

This from the NFL :D

Henry will be reinstated after the Bengals' eighth regular-season game if he meets certain conditions during his suspension that will be monitored closely by the Bengals and the NFL. Those conditions include the following:

He must have no further adverse involvement with law enforcement.

He must fully cooperate with all required counseling, education, and treatment assigned to him under league programs.

He is eligible to be at the Bengals' facilities during the rest of the offseason for customary activities and he must meet weekly with the team's player development director.

If he fully complies with all other conditions, he may participate in the Bengals' training camp and preseason games.

During the regular season, he is permitted to be at the Bengals' facility for team meetings and must meet weekly with the team's player development director, but he may not attend or participate in practice.

He must fully comply with all conditions imposed on him by any court, including requirements of community service.

Jones and Henry were told that any failure to comply with these conditions will result in additional discipline, including possible banishment from the league.

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Commissioner Goodell wrote to Jones and Henry. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

"I must emphasize to you that this is your last opportunity to salvage your NFL career," Commissioner Goodell wrote to Jones and Henry. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you in that effort."

I love this statement...I don't think Pacman will be raining money at the clubs when he makes a couple thousand a month working at a shoe store...

fI get tired of hearing the sob stories about how some of these players didn't have a father growing up

Dang. Had I known, I'd have passed 'em mine. You think if I listed him on Craigslist with a PS3 around his neck that somebody would take him?

I think the punishment fits the crime perfectly. :D

The man has not even been convicted yet. What happen to the courts decision if its him in the wrong. Worst case. What if no of his charges even get a conviction or an admission of guilt.

The man has not even been convicted yet. What happen to the courts decision if its him in the wrong. Worst case. What if no of his charges even get a conviction or an admission of guilt.

Then he still did more than the college football coach who got fired for going to a strip club.

Also, it seems that the NFL can now punish the teams for their players conduct. Link

"Moments after announcing the one-year suspension of Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, and an eight-game ban for Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell released his strengthened conduct policy Tuesday. Along with longer suspensions and larger fines for individuals who violate the policy, Goodell will hold teams responsible, as well.

He did not say how he would punish those teams, although stripping them of draft choices is considered one of the most effective ways to do so."

Edited by The Next Generation

This has virtually nothing to do with Pacman or Henry and everything to do with letting the rest of the NFL, and future rookies, know what the deal now is. Pacman and Henry are convenient (but thoroughly deserving) examples.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

they are talking about this right now on nfl live. they are mentioning that pacman has 6 or 7 stipulations in his suspension that if he meets, he can then apply after week 10 to have his punishment shortened. they are saying henry does not have this option.

oh, and another interesting note, they just mentioned if pacman doesn't play one bit this year, that he loses that year on his tenure to becoming a free agent.

Looks like the new Sheriff in town take crap from no one.

Both of these players have had incidents since the new comish took over. Both had those incidents magnified by the fact that they have had previous problems as well as possibly triggering the removal of bail or release based on good behavior.

In PacMans instance, he didn't report an arrest. A big no-no.

Either way, I bet ALL players are paying attention.