[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc

Puddy

what are you liking about it? what flavors are you getting?

And therein lies the problem. I'm terrible at identifying specific aspects of the flavor. I'd be making chit up if I did that. One of these days I'm going to acquire that skill. :D

Mrs. Puddy and I are considering attending our first wine tasting soon.

And therein lies the problem. I'm terrible at identifying specific aspects of the flavor. I'd be making chit up if I did that. One of these days I'm going to acquire that skill. :D

Mrs. Puddy and I are considering attending our first wine tasting soon.

those are fun. also, if you get the chance try to got to some pairings (amazing thing to have the wine and food play off of each other).

another suggestion: host a wine tasting yourself.... pick a vintage and ask people to bring a bottle $15 or less of it... gives you a good sense of that vintage. (ie: pinot noir.... then see what different climates do to pinot)

those are fun. also, if you get the chance try to got to some pairings (amazing thing to have the wine and food play off of each other).

another suggestion: host a wine tasting yourself.... pick a vintage and ask people to bring a bottle $15 or less of it... gives you a good sense of that vintage. (ie: pinot noir.... then see what different climates do to pinot)

I love hosting wine tasting parties. I pick a varietal and folks bring their favorite from 5$-$25. We do blind tastes and I have people fill out a spread sheet. They mark their most favorite, least favorite, and their guess on the most expensive. The year two buck chuck came out I bought the Cabernet. Many chose it as their favorite and some guessed it as the most expensive.

Speaking of wine:

Saturday night some friends had us over for a small dinner party. While the food was great, we did some real damage to the wine collection. Here's the little I can remember:

St. Innocent: 1 of only 2 Oregon Pinot Noirs of the evening. This is a good QPR wine that would have been a fine wine most nights. This night, it was just out of its league.

2005 Owen Roe Pinot Gris: I believe this was the only white of the night and it was a fine starter for some of the attendees. Owen Roe is one of my favorite Oregon wineries mostly because they also get a lot of grapes out of some of the best vineyards in Washington. Whereas most Oregon wineries are completely locked to Pinot, Owen Roe produces a much wider variety of great wines.

Argyle Nuthouse Pinot Noir 2004: The other Oregon Pinot of the night and this one certainly stood out. While most Oregon wineries are beginning to release their 05s, this was just released within the past couple of weeks. The 03 was on the WS top 100 and I've mentioned it many times. The 04 is definitely a return to a more traditional Oregon Pinot with not as much in-your-face fruit and a lot more traditional earth, leather, tobacco.

Kosta Browne 03 Russian River: Drank this blind and it took quite a while before I could even identify it as a Pinot. CA pinots are just so much different...I initially thought this was some funky CA blend. Very good wine. If you can find it, grab it. I think most goes to the mailing list members though.

Leonetti Merlot 99 AND 2000: Went very well with dinner. The 99 was drinking nicely right after opening. The 2000 decanted for a couple hours and then really came around....for a merlot.

After this, it didn't matter any more but I can remember drinking the following:

A French Syrah....don't see that very often.

An Australian Shiraz....see this all the time.

Green Point: Don't remember what this was.

A CDR: ummm....I think it was in a bottle.

A Sparkling Shiraz....not sure how this one actually got bottled.

Final bottle of the night: 2003 Loring Pinot: This was one of those bottles that was too good to open for the state we were in by this point but my experienced nose told me that it was full of really really good stuff.

I know there were 12 empty bottles so I may be forgetting some but those are the highlights.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg