[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And Bledsoe retires...

DMD

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bledsoe will bear the curse of those with short memories. They'll remember Buffalo and Dallas, not New England. He had some really nice years there in the mid to late 90s when he was a top fantasy QB pick.

I think he should be in the HOF, but won't be.

Ahhh, but we're not talking Fantasy Football Hall of Fame. We're talking the real Hall of Fame.

Bledsoe never played well under pressure ... whether it be pressure from the opposing defense or the pressure of coming from behind. He perpetually crumbled under pressure.

He has ONE good year for the Jets.

NOT a H0F'er.

:D Bledsoe played for the Jets?

IMO, playing a long career by moving around from bad team to bad team accumulating stats does not make you a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Even in Bledsoe's best years with the Patriots, he would always start out the season like a house of fire, and then tail off. He wasn't good enough to win the Super Bowl he was in. Wasn't good enough to get his job back from Tom Brady. Wasn't good enough to keep his job from being handed to J.P Losman. Wasn't good enough to keep his job over Tony Romo.

He's just not good enough for the Hall of Fame.

In order:

Saying that he wasn't good enough to hold off Tom Brady is just silly. Hasn't Brady proven to be a top 2-3 QB in the NFL? That would tell me that pretty much everyone but Manning and maybe a handful of others wouldn;t be able to hold him off.

Saying that he wasn't good enough to hold off Losman is also just silly. Don't we all know that this was just a bad decision by the Bills? Where did it get them other than worse off?

Saying that he wasn't good enough to hold off Romo...maybe I'll give you that. I have to imagine that after a few years of necessarily looking over your shoulder to see who was going to take your job can take a toll on someone. But really, can anyone say that the switch to Romo did anything for the Cowboyz except energize them for 3-4 games? Wasn't it Romo that gave away the playoff game?

After the '96 Superbowl, Drew became a victim of bad circumstances. The team did not have any kind of running game to speak of, the O-line spent years being terrible, and the receiver situation was perrennially bad. Even Coates started to tail off after that SB losing season.

The guy gets a bum rap.

In order:

Saying that he wasn't good enough to hold off Tom Brady is just silly. Hasn't Brady proven to be a top 2-3 QB in the NFL? That would tell me that pretty much everyone but Manning and maybe a handful of others wouldn;t be able to hold him off.

Saying that he wasn't good enough to hold off Losman is also just silly. Don't we all know that this was just a bad decision by the Bills? Where did it get them other than worse off?

Saying that he wasn't good enough to hold off Romo...maybe I'll give you that. I have to imagine that after a few years of necessarily looking over your shoulder to see who was going to take your job can take a toll on someone. But really, can anyone say that the switch to Romo did anything for the Cowboyz except energize them for 3-4 games? Wasn't it Romo that gave away the playoff game?

After the '96 Superbowl, Drew became a victim of bad circumstances. The team did not have any kind of running game to speak of, the O-line spent years being terrible, and the receiver situation was perrennially bad. Even Coates started to tail off after that SB losing season.

The guy gets a bum rap.

If you could choose any quarterback in time to lead your team, how long would it be before you reached Drew Bledsoe? It'd be a long ass time, IMO. Not a Hall of Famer.

Ahhh, but we're not talking Fantasy Football Hall of Fame. We're talking the real Hall of Fame.

I added the fantasy reference to emphasize the statistical accomplishments of his good years in NE. Allow me to rephrase:

Bledsoe will bear the curse of those with short memories. They'll remember Buffalo and Dallas, not New England. He had some really nice years there in the mid to late 90s.

I think he should be in the HOF, but won't be.

Better?

If you could choose any quarterback in time to lead your team, how long would it be before you reached Drew Bledsoe? It'd be a long ass time, IMO. Not a Hall of Famer.

How long would it be? 20 QBs? 25 QBs?

If you are talking about players during their best seasons, I think he would be pretty high on the list of QBs that have started in the NFL.

Don't forget that he had his best years in the more difficult pre-salary cap era. He was a very good player in the early through mid-late 90's

There is no way that this guy wasn't in the top 3 QB's during his five year prime or so. Those QB's get in the hall.

:D

I'm trying to identify that "five year prime"

Was it his first 5 years when he had 108 TDs and 88 INTs?

Or years 2 thru 6 when he had 113 TDs and 87 INTs?

Or years 3 thru 7 when he had 107 TDs and 81 INTs?

Or years 4 thru 8 when he had 111 TDs and 78 INTs?

Bledsoe is as much a HoF'er as Quincy Carter is, who BTW, had 6 TDs in his minor-league debut just the other day. Did Bledsoe EVER throw for 6 TDs in one game?

crazy talk- and an insult to Bledsoe. He had pretty special talent throwing the football, and had one of the best arms of his era.

Based off his long career, and stats- I agree with BB- easy HOF. I am not a hugh Bledsoe fan as far as intangibles, and playing well down the stretch to win big games - he didn't have IT. But he had a nice, solid career and I think he will get in.

There is no way that this guy wasn't in the top 3 QB's during his five year prime or so. Those QB's get in the hall.

When was Bledsoe ever one of the top 3 QBs in the NFL? Here's the top 10 in passing yards for every year of his career:

J Elway 4030

S Young 4023

W Moon 3485

B Esiason 3421

J Kelly 3382

B Favre 3303

J Hostetler 3242

N O'Donnell 3208

S Beuerlein 3164

T Aikman 3100

D Bledsoe 4555

D Marino 4453

W Moon 4264

S Young 3969

B Favre 3882

J Everett 3855

J George 3734

J Elway 3490

J Hostetler 3334

J Montana 3283

B Favre 4413

S Mitchell 4338

W Moon 4228

J George 4143

J Elway 3970

J Everett 3970

E Kramer 3838

J Blake 3822

D Marino 3668

D Krieg 3554

M Brunell 4367

V Testaverde 4177

D Bledsoe 4086

B Favre 3899

J Blake 3624

G Frerotte 3453

J Elway 3328

B Hebert 3152

T Aikman 3126

S Mitchell 2917

J George 3917

B Favre 3867

D Marino 3780

D Bledsoe 3706

W Moon 3678

J Elway 3635

S Mitchell 3484

T Aikman 3283

M Brunell 3281

T Banks 3254

B Favre 4212

S Young 4170

P Manning 3739

J Plummer 3737

R Cunningham 3704

D Bledsoe 3633

D Marino 3497

T Green 3441

V Testaverde 3256

S McNair 3228

S Beuerlein 4436

K Warner 4353

P Manning 4135

B Favre 4091

B Johnson 4005

D Bledsoe 3985

R Gannon 3840

E Grbac 3389

J Kitna 3346

D Flutie 3171

P Manning 4413

J Garcia 4278

E Grbac 4164

D Culpepper 3937

B Favre 3812

V Testaverde 3732

S Beuerlein 3730

M Brunell 3640

K Collins 3610

R Gannon 3430

K Warner 4830

P Manning 4131

B Favre 3921

A Brooks 3832

R Gannon 3828

T Green 3783

K Collins 3764

J Plummer 3653

J Garcia 3538

D Flutie 3464

R Gannon 4689

D Bledsoe 4359

P Manning 4200

K Collins 4073

D Culpepper 3859

T Brady 3764

T Green 3690

B Favre 3658

A Brooks 3572

S McNair 3387

P Manning 4267

T Green 4039

M Bulger 3845

M Hasselbeck 3844

B Johnson 3811

T Brady 3620

J Kitna 3591

A Brooks 3546

D Culpepper 3479

T Maddox 3414

D Culpepper 4717

T Green 4591

P Manning 4557

J Plummer 4089

B Favre 4088

M Bulger 3964

J Delhomme 3886

D McNabb 3875

A Brooks 3810

T Brady 3692

T Brady 4110

T Green 4014

B Favre 3881

C Palmer 3836

E Manning 3762

K Collins 3759

P Manning 3747

D Bledsoe 3639

D Brees 3576

M Hasselbeck 3455

D Brees 4418

P Manning 4397

M Bulger 4301

J Kitna 4208

C Palmer 4035

B Favre 3885

T Brady 3529

B Roethlisberger 3513

P Rivers 3388

C Pennington 3352

Earlier in his career, even during his big stat years, you would still take Elway, Young, Favre, Marino, and Aikman over him. Later in his career, you would take Manning, Brady, Culpepper, and McNabb over him. Bledsoe was never one of the best QBs in the NFL at any point during his career, he doesn't deserve to get into the hall of fame.

Edited by gsmayes

just as Troy Aikman didn't get in the HOF on stats,

Drew Bledsoe won't get in on stats. Aikman had the rings and the intangibles. he was a leader. Bledsoe never was a leader.

all you need is to have seen him play.

at pretty much any point in his career there were several QBs you'd rather have leading your team.

Earlier in his career, even during his big stat years, you would still take Elway, Young, Favre, Marino, and Aikman over him. Later in his career, you would take Manning, Brady, Culpepper, and McNabb over him. Bledsoe was never one of the best QBs in the NFL at any point during his career, he doesn't deserve to get into the hall of fame.

...and bingo was his name-o.

just as Troy Aikman didn't get in the HOF on stats,

Drew Bledsoe won't get in on stats. Aikman had the rings and the intangibles. he was a leader. Bledsoe never was a leader.

all you need is to have seen him play.

at pretty much any point in his career there were several QBs you'd rather have leading your team.

yup

Troy didn't crumble under pressure and actually was a leader on his team ... that in NO WAY compares to Aikman. Aikman could make the play when it counted, not so Blesoe.

Comparing Bledsoe to Aikman is like saying that Joe Montana and Ryan Leaf were the same except that Montana went to a better team.

When was Bledsoe ever one of the top 3 QBs in the NFL? Here's the top 10 in passing yards for every year of his career:

'96 and '02 by pure passing yards. I cant say whether he gets in or not but he has always handled himself honorably, taken his lumps and put the team before himself. He had high expectations placed on his shoulders being drafted #1 by a sorry Pats team. He (and the owner/uniform change, IMO) turned that floundering franchise into a contender and Brady reaps the rewards. I hope at least the Pats retire his jersey #. Hats off to a great career Bledsoe. :D

I think Bledsoe has the numbers to get into the HoF, I just don't think he has the game. There has always been a stink about hium that he wasn't an elite QB. I think he eventually gets in, but it certainly won't be when he's first eligible and even that's no guarantee.

HOF has very high standards to me. I'm not saying Bledsoe sucked. Just saying that he was an above average QB when he was in his prime, and was very average after that. He averaged 34.6 passes per game, that's tops in NFL history. More than Marino, more than Favre. That's where his stats came from. He put the ball up. A lot.

'96 and '02 by pure passing yards. I cant say whether he gets in or not but he has always handled himself honorably, taken his lumps and put the team before himself. He had high expectations placed on his shoulders being drafted #1 by a sorry Pats team. He (and the owner/uniform change, IMO) turned that floundering franchise into a contender and Brady reaps the rewards. I hope at least the Pats retire his jersey #. Hats off to a great career Bledsoe. :D

These are the "modern" QBs in the HOF. Would you pick Bledsoe over any of these guys? Consider Favre, Manning, and Brady are also going to be on this list someday...

Troy Aikman 1989-2000

John Elway 1983-1998

Dan Fouts 1973-1987

Jim Kelly 1986-1996

Dan Marino 1983-1999

Joe Montana 1979-1994

Warren Moon 1984-2000

Steve Young 1985-1999

He might be the best of the rest, as I've been trying to come up with anyone with similar credentials (other than Testaverde). I just don't think of him in the same category as even a Warren Moon or Dan Fouts.