[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And Bledsoe retires...

DMD

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troy didn't crumble under pressure and actually was a leader on his team ... that in NO WAY compares to Aikman. Aikman could make the play when it counted, not so Blesoe.

Comparing Bledsoe to Aikman is like saying that Joe Montana and Ryan Leaf were the same except that Montana went to a better team.

This comparison is idiotic in the extreme. I can't even dignify it with a counter argument.

These are the "modern" QBs in the HOF. Would you pick Bledsoe over any of these guys? Consider Favre, Manning, and Brady are also going to be on this list someday...

Troy Aikman 1989-2000 - They are about equal in my book as far as raw talent. You must agree Aikman had a much better supporting cast for his entire career.

John Elway 1983-1998 - No.

Dan Fouts 1973-1987 - Never saw him play. Honestly couldnt tell you which team he played for. :D

Jim Kelly 1986-1996 - I would take Bledsoe over Kelly. Again, Kelly had a much better D, a much better RB and only went to the SB so many times cause the AFC sucked in those days.

Dan Marino 1983-1999 - No.

Joe Montana 1979-1994 - No.

Warren Moon 1984-2000 - Didnt see enough of his "good days" to really form an opinion.

Steve Young 1985-1999 - No.

He might be the best of the rest, as I've been trying to come up with anyone with similar credentials (other than Testaverde). I just don't think of him in the same category as even a Warren Moon or Dan Fouts.

Jim Kelly 1986-1996 - I would take Bledsoe over Kelly. Again, Kelly had a much better D, a much better RB and only went to the SB so many times cause the AFC sucked in those days.

You've got to be kidding me. Kelly and his K-Gun offense was amazing. He revolutionized the no-huddle offense, and because of what he did on the field, teams like the Colts and Peyton Manning took it to another level. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Bledsoe did have Curtis Martin, a HOF RB in his own right.

In my opinion, if what you did on the field changes the postion forever, and you revolutionized the game, even if you don't have ridiculous stats, you should be in the Hall of Fame.

Edited by CaptainHook

These are the "modern" QBs in the HOF. Would you pick Bledsoe over any of these guys? Consider Favre, Manning, and Brady are also going to be on this list someday...

Troy Aikman 1989-2000 - They are about equal in my book as far as raw talent. You must agree Aikman had a much better supporting cast for his entire career.

John Elway 1983-1998 - No.

Dan Fouts 1973-1987 - Never saw him play. Honestly couldnt tell you which team he played for.

Dan Marino 1983-1999 - No.

Joe Montana 1979-1994 - No.

Warren Moon 1984-2000 - Didnt see enough of his "good days" to really form an opinion.

Steve Young 1985-1999 - No.

He might be the best of the rest, as I've been trying to come up with anyone with similar credentials (other than Testaverde). I just don't think of him in the same category as even a Warren Moon or Dan Fouts.

You are some serious drugs. Aikman proved over and over he could get it done when it counted, Blesoe proved over and over he couldn't.

You've got to be kidding me. Kelly and his K-Gun offense was amazing. He revolutionized the no-huddle offense, and because of what he did on the field, teams like the Colts and Peyton Manning took it to another level.

+1

Bledsoe couldn't carry Kelly's or Fouts' jockstrap. And that's saying a lot, becuase Bledsoe was a solid QB in his prime.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Bledsoe did have Curtis Martin, a HOF RB in his own right.

Not to mention Terry Glenn and Troy Brown in their primes.

EDIT: Oh, AND Ben Coates.

Edited by Bill Swerski

If you could choose any quarterback in time to lead your team, how long would it be before you reached Drew Bledsoe? It'd be a long ass time, IMO. Not a Hall of Famer.

I think that is a fair question, in theory, if you add the caveat that he would be "in his prime" and how long that prime lasted - in other words, "if you could have any QB in his prime lead your team, how long would it be before you reached Drew Bledsoe?"

Don't forget that he had his best years in the more difficult pre-salary cap era. He was a very good player in the early through mid-late 90's

Bledsoe was superb in '96 and '97 ('97 was probably his best year) - most years before and after that he was pretty much average to a bit above average.

That ain't a HoF recipe, sorry. Not to mention the "pre-salary cap era" ended in '93 - the year Bledsoe was drafted. His inflated numbers top those of current HoFers because '92 was the year the NFL further tightened up pass interference rules, resulting in the bloat in passing-game numbers (and offensive #s across the board) that we've seen over the past 15 or so years.

I'm a Pats fan, but I agree that he's a boarderline HOF'er that won't get in.

In the late 90's, I'd have the argument all the time with a buddy that was stat crazy.

He'd be like "he's thrown for 25,000 yards in his first 6 years, on pace with Marino, 150 TDs, blah blah blah".

And I'd be like that's great, he's a numbers machine, but just watch him. He has nearly the same amount of INTs as TDs, he's not a great leader, and he has the knack for coming up empty when you really need him to come up big.

Bledsoe was superb in '96 and '97 ('97 was probably his best year) - most years before and after that he was pretty much average to a bit above average.

That ain't a HoF recipe, sorry. Not to mention the "pre-salary cap era" ended in '93 - the year Bledsoe was drafted. His inflated numbers top those of current HoFers because '92 was the year the NFL further tightened up pass interference rules, resulting in the bloat in passing-game numbers (and offensive #s across the board) that we've seen over the past 15 or so years.

While that may be true, the ramifications of free agency didn't really start to unravel for a few seasons as contracts began to expire, etc.

Speaking of the Hall of Fame!

:D

Again we're back to the FANTASY Hall of Fame. Majikowski (87), Beuerlein (99), Volek (end of 04), Grbac (00), Kordell Stewart and Jeff George (97), Romo (last half of 06) the list of fantasy HOF QB's through the years goes on...

Edited by msaint

You know it occurred to me that an analogy might help here. Tim Couch could have been the next Marino, except he went to a really crappy team. Now, if you take a guy like Bledsoe, who performed on crappy teams, that is clearly better than a guy like John Elway who was on already on established teams when he won his rings. Therefore Bledsoe should be in.

IMHO there is more to getting into the HOF than stats and rings or the lack thereof. The people that vote on this will always remember Bledsoe being a class act. A person that brought class and dignity to the NFL. That is what will tip the scale and get him in. :D

While that may be true, the ramifications of free agency didn't really start to unravel for a few seasons as contracts began to expire, etc.

:ahem: Reggie White, anybody? :D

Possibly the best FA signing in the history of FA was made in the FIRST year.

You know it occurred to me that an analogy might help here. Tim Couch could have been the next Marino, except he went to a really crappy team. Now, if you take a guy like Bledsoe, who performed on crappy teams, that is clearly better than a guy like John Elway who was on already on established teams when he won his rings. Therefore Bledsoe should be in.

I am dumber for having read that.