[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And Bledsoe retires...

DMD

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I keep forgetting that Bledsoe DOES have a SB ring, even if her wasn't the QB that played the game. I still think he gets in during his last couple of years of eligibility. By then most people will have forgotten that he just wasn't cut from the same cloth as the Montanas of this world.

You know, I keep forgetting that Bledsoe DOES have a SB ring, even if her wasn't the QB that played the game.

I think that's going to hurt him more than help him. Fair or not, Bledose's legacy is going to be losing his job to an inexperienced Tom Brady, watching Brady win a Super Bowl from the sidelines, and then getting cut and watching Brady win two more Super Bowls from his livingroom.

I think that's going to hurt him more than help him. Fair or not, Bledose's legacy is going to be losing his job to an inexperienced Tom Brady, watching Brady win a Super Bowl from the sidelines, and then getting cut and watching Brady win two more Super Bowls from his livingroom.

Unless you take into account that he won the AFC championship game at Pittsburgh that year :D he may not have been the QB for the SB, but he did play an important part in the championship.

Pros for him getting in : stats and 5 yr wait period (where instead of just thinking last few years, people will view whole career)

Cons: lack of "leadership" and honestly just the "Drew Bledsoe" and "HOF" lack of even seeming feasible

But do think he squeaks in - if he doesn't, he's the Art Monk of QB's...(and that's why I think he does - was better at his position for a decent amount of time then Monk was at his)

Unless you take into account that he won the AFC championship game at Pittsburgh that year :D he may not have been the QB for the SB, but he did play an important part in the championship.

Of course. IMO, he could've won that SB. But, unfortunately, his legacy is going to be the guy who was a pretty good QB, but couldn't get it done in NE.

And then lost his starting job to an in-experienced 4th year QB, Tony Romo.

I think that Nick was also alluding to the salary cap, which wasn't a factor right away.

No, the salcap was only a factor in the SECOND year of free agency.

Either way, Bledsoe's first 3 years were about what you'd expect for any young QB - he struggled.

By the time he hit his stride, FA was in full effect, and he was at best the 4th or 5th best QB in the league (Favre, S Young, Elway, probably another guy or two).

No, the salcap was only a factor in the SECOND year of free agency.

:D

Either way, Bledsoe's first 3 years were about what you'd expect for any young QB - he struggled.

By the time he hit his stride, FA was in full effect, and he was at best the 4th or 5th best QB in the league (Favre, S Young, Elway, probably another guy or two).

Agreed, and that's why he won't get into the HOF.

All the rest of the guys were in? Is it his fault that a handful of the all-timers played at the same time he did?? At that point in his career, he was regarded as being on par with just about all those guys. I think we're forgetting how good he really was. He took nothing and turned it into a high powered offense for quite a while. The guy was just good. Ain't no other way to say it.

All the rest of the guys were in? Is it his fault that a handful of the all-timers played at the same time he did?? At that point in his career, he was regarded as being on par with just about all those guys. I think we're forgetting how good he really was. He took nothing and turned it into a high powered offense for quite a while. The guy was just good. Ain't no other way to say it.

You are delluded. The great ones come up big when it counts. Bledsoe proved over and over again he could NOT produce when it counted, he crumbled under the pressure. That has NOTHING to do with the quality of the other players in his ERA.

When there is a debate about the besting QBs of all time and which QB you'd choose if you could have any ... Bledsoe's name is so far down the list as to be laughable.

Can you name 5 current HoF'ers that you would not take instead of Bledsoe?

Edited by Grits and Shins

:D I was trolling through this thread and when I saw the opinion that Bledsoes ring is really Bradys I was gonna post this..There is some truth to the fact that it being Bradys team when he got his ring might hurt him but he put some sort of stamp on it with that win against Pitt

While Bledsoe was the primary starter, the NE offense's avg rank in pts was 15th, avg rank in yard was 13th. That sounds, well, average, not high powered.

During his salad days, the only passing stat that NE's rank was truly impressive in was pass ATTEMPTS - form 94-98, they averaged a #6 pass att ranking.

The article godtomsatan posted has the correct conclusion - Bledsoe was a GOOD QB, and a class act, and has nothing in his career to hang his head about. But he is NOT a Hall of Famer. His fault in a handful of all-timers playing at the same time he did is that he didn't elevate himself to truly be included among them, always being a notch below.

Bledsoe was a GOOD QB, and a class act, and has nothing in his career to hang his head about. But he is NOT a Hall of Famer. His fault in a handful of all-timers playing at the same time he did is that he didn't elevate himself to truly be included among them, always being a notch below.

Well-said.

I thought that Troy Aikman's induction was a stretch (especially considering that his peers included Young, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Favre). And he was significantly better than Bledsoe.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Just looking through the all-time stats here. This guy is in whether anybody here agrees with it or not. Deal with it.

Tell ya what, I'll deal with him getting in WHEN he gets in; and I'd bet serious dollars he won't be in by 2017.

Just looking through the all-time stats here. This guy is in whether anybody here agrees with it or not. Deal with it.

Bledsoe is currently 7th all-time in passing yardage. Sixth? Vinny Testaverde. By your logic, Vinny is also a HOF'er too? Dave Krieg is 11th. HOF? Esiason is 12th. HOF?

Bledsoe is currently 13th all-time in TD passes. Testaverde is 9th. Dave Krieg is 10th. Esiason 14th. Are they HOF?

Just because you have stats doesn't make you HOF. HOF is for greatness. Bledsoe wasn't "great".

Can you change your user name so that Huddler's don't associate you with the city of Seattle, the state of Washington, or the numeral 2 and the numeral 1?

You guys are nuts.......................Bledsoe is GREAT!!!! He is an amazing QB.

He is great at looking at reads 1 and maybe 2 (screw 3rd and 4th options) only if he has 5 seconds.

He is great at holding the ball longer than any other QB and taking that sack.

He is great at fumbling the football when taking said sack.

He is great at throwing that pick just when the offense gets into scoring position.

Yeah he's great. Now how many picks did he throw in his career? Probably close to as many TDs.

Playoffs, he probably threw for more.

He is so great, I wish he went to my favorite teams rival. :D

You know what, I change my mind (not on whether he should be -no way should he be, but there's a lot of guys in that shouldn't be) but on whether he gets in. YOu know what sealed it - something stupid: He only made 4 pro bowls.

In this age, a hall of famer should make the probowl AT LEAST half his career, especially at QB where, with injuries, 8 guys usually get to say "I made pro bowl" every year.

Pro Bowl obviously isn't even close to being a true judge of talent and skill, but truth of the matter is I thought he'd squeak in due to stats, but just can't see it.

I'll also say this - if he does get in, Kurt Warner should get in.

Tell ya what, I'll deal with him getting in WHEN he gets in; and I'd bet serious dollars he won't be in by 2017.

Seahawks21 tried to bet me that Asante Samuel wouldn't be traded (despite the fact that I never claimed that he would), so my guess is that he'd be game for a friendly wager. Because, you know, he's always right about everything, so he doesn't have to worry about losing. :D