[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Turner

fitzkek

If this happens, A.J. Smith is one stubborn SOB.

As a former Turner owner, I was hoping he'd get traded...but from the GM of the Chargers' viewpoint, I would not move him. This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations and should be one of the favorites to win it. The running game is their bread and butter. Keeping Turner is an incredible security blanket, even at the cost of not getting some picks this season and next.

Only time will tell if not trading him is the right move. Then again, he still may be traded. But Smith has got to be considering a Super Bowl run by not trading him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the team that SD has assembled, if LT went down this year we could still pull off a championship with Turner in there. if no one will part with a 1st, i'm completely on board with holding onto Turner for one more year.

the future is now in SD. we can worry about a decent backup RB down the road. realistically, there were guys like Travis Henry and Tatum Bell to be had this offseason, not mention Chris Brown is still out there.

if no one will part with a 1st, i'm completely on board with holding onto Turner for one more year.

Definitely. I don't think A.J. will go with anything less than a first round pick.

with the team that SD has assembled, if LT went down this year we could still pull off a championship with Turner in there. if no one will part with a 1st, i'm completely on board with holding onto Turner for one more year.

the future is now in SD. we can worry about a decent backup RB down the road. realistically, there were guys like Travis Henry and Tatum Bell to be had this offseason, not mention Chris Brown is still out there.

Definitely. I don't think A.J. will go with anything less than a first round pick.

You're also running the risk of getting absolutley nothing for him when he walks after the 07 season...

As much as I like Turner, if LT goes down, you have zero shot of a championship.

As much as I like Turner, if LT goes down, you have zero shot of a championship.

how's that? :D Turner is a freight train. without LT we'd lose a pass receiver out of the backfield but that's where Gates would be invaluable to pick up the difference.....not that he already isn't invaluable.

there's a reason teams are considering giving up a 1st for Turner.....because he's that good.

of course our chances are better with LT, but how much can you actually like Turner if you think his contribution would be that small?

how's that? :D Turner is a freight train. without LT we'd lose a pass receiver out of the backfield but that's where Gates would be invaluable to pick up the difference.....not that he already isn't invaluable.

there's a reason teams are considering giving up a 1st for Turner.....because he's that good.

of course our chances are better with LT, but how much can you actually like Turner if you think his contribution would be that small?

Based on his experience, I would think the jury is still out as to whether or not Turner can carry a team; he hasn't had to in the past. But with so many talent evaluators in the NFL very high on him, one would have to also think that he could do it. No, he is not the second coming of LT...who is? But can he help them win a Super Bowl as a primary back? My guess is yes.

You're also running the risk of getting absolutley nothing for him when he walks after the 07 season...

:D

Depending on what he signs for, the Chargers could be assigned as high as a third round pick for losing the free agent. They drafted him at 5 and have maybe the best back-up in the league. Still great value for a guy they like as insurance to LT.

I still think they get a 1 in next years draft and a something this year. There are just not many available backs that have the skills OR experience of Turner. His value, in THIS YEAR's draft is surely a 1.

Exactly. The guy has looked very impressive at times but lets be realistic. The guy has 157 carries for his CAREER, and has never had more than 14 in a game.

He's more proven than any rookie RB coming out. :D

how's that? :tup: Turner is a freight train. without LT we'd lose a pass receiver out of the backfield but that's where Gates would be invaluable to pick up the difference.....not that he already isn't invaluable.

I absolutley love Turner, but Tomlinson is irreplacable. The moral of the team would be shot as well. LT is a once in a generation player. I was jumping the gun on zero chance...

Depending on what he signs for, the Chargers could be assigned as high as a third round pick for losing the free agent. They drafted him at 5 and have maybe the best back-up in the league. Still great value for a guy they like as insurance to LT.

I still think they get a 1 in next years draft and a something this year. There are just not many available backs that have the skills OR experience of Turner. His value, in THIS YEAR's draft is surely a 1.

Yeah, compencetory picks slipped my mind. I'm wrong on this one. :D

* It is looking like at least a 70% chance that San Diego will not have Michael Turner when the 2007 season begins. While there is some thought that the Titans are the team most interested in Turner, I think the Bills will be the ones who end up with Turner if they are unable to make a move on Adrian Peterson by trading up. Buffalo might get a deal done during the draft that would send at least their second rounder this year (#43) along with an additional pick to the Chargers for Turner.

Link

Adam Scheffter just dialed collect to "The Afternoon Blitz" to report that Michael Turner has just signed his offer sheet to remain with the Chargers.

Can he still be traded? I highly doubt it.

I was under the impression that this is a formality and doesn't affect the Chargers' ability to trade him. :D

Adam Scheffter just dialed collect to "The Afternoon Blitz" to report that Michael Turner has just signed his offer sheet to remain with the Chargers.

Can he still be traded? I highly doubt it.

why would this impact his ability to be traded. If it did, it would make no sense. why would they sign him to a contract now?

I was under the impression that this is a formality and doesn't affect the Chargers' ability to trade him. :D

I thought so as well. This seems to simply be the signing of the contract he was offered a few months ago ($2.3 million, 1 year, I believe?).

Link

Chargers may move RB Turner very soon?

Written by: Terry McCormick ¦ 4/26/2007

Source: www.nashvillecitypaper.com

Could Michael Turner be on the move?

Turner took what could be a necessary first step toward facilitating any potential trade by signing his one-year, $2.35 million tender offer on Thursday.

By NFL rules, only players who are officially under contract can be traded.

Turner's agent Bus Cook confirmed to The City Paper that Turner had signed the tender, but declined to say if that meant Turner would be moved in a deal revolving around this weekend's draft.

The Tennessee Titans are one of the teams interesting in acquiring the running back, and could even be the frontrunner, though the Buffalo Bills are still believed to be in the running for Turner as well.

Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt was asked about making a trade for Turner during Thursday's meeting with the local media to discuss the draft.

"Before a player can be traded he actually needs to be signed," Reinfeldt said. "With Turner he will need to sign a contract as a restricted free agent (with San Diego). ? But you cannot trade a player who's not signed."

Asked as to whether he would have to have a long-term deal with Turner in place to pull the trigger on any deal, Reinfeldt said, "In theory as long as the player has signed a contract with the existing team and you have an understanding with the agent on what the deal is going to be then teams go ahead and make the trade."

Reinfeldt said he has had some conversations with Cook and that from a timing standpoint it was not out of the realm of possibility.

"From a timing standpoint, I think something can be done if it all fell into place," Reinfeldt said.

Cook, who was in New York with top prospect Calvin Johnson, when asked Thursday about Turner's status said, "I'm not sure what's going on."

Edited by The Next Generation

Report: Packers most likely to land Chargers RB Turner

Written by: - ffLiveWire - ¦ 4/27/2007

Source:

FFLW is reporting that the Packers are rumored to be the likely landing spot for Chargers RB Michael Turner. Strong sources are saying that the deal will include the first round pick for 2008.

Source:

FFLW is reporting that the Packers are rumored to be the likely landing spot for Chargers RB Michael Turner. Strong sources are saying that the deal will include the first round pick for 2008.

Source:

When I read this particular rumor, Why are MAH PANTS GETTIN' TIGHT???? :D

A TV station here in San Diego just reported that Turner was traded to the Titans for their first round pick (19th overall) tomorrow. There is more to the deal, but that's all that's being reported for now.