[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bucs trading up to #2?

Outshined

POSTED 11:44 a.m. EDT, April 18, 2007

BUCS-LIONS WORKING ON A DEAL

Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

A league source tells us that, while there is not a done deal, the talks are occurring regarding a flip-flop of No. 2 and No. 4. It's not presently clear whether Rice is part of the deal.

The Bucs presumably want to get in position to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 selection, if the Raiders don't take Johnson with the No. 1.

The real intrigue on this one arises if the Raiders take Johnson. Would the Bucs then pick quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Or would they take left tackle Joe Thomas?

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

We're keeping a close eye on this one. Check back for more details.

Not sure if I like that or not. I can certainly live with getting some value of out of Rice, and I'd rather he went then all our seconds (which need to be spent on the Dline), but do we really benefit by trading up two places given that the Raiders might still take CJ. Not a trade you'd expect to see done until the second fifteen minute slot?

Edited by MonkeyOne

Well, if this is real, occasionally teams are better off doing a trade before there is full information available.

For example, say CJ is available ... DET will ask for more than Rice. And, if he's not available, DET wouldn't be able to get Rice.

Well, if this is real, occasionally teams are better off doing a trade before there is full information available.

For example, say CJ is available ... DET will ask for more than Rice. And, if he's not available, DET wouldn't be able to get Rice.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Chucky has been linked with CJ, AD and Quinn in recent weeks...

Edited by MonkeyOne

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

Unless their real target is Thomas if CJ is off the board.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Chucky has been linked with CJ, AD and Quinn in recent weeks...

Which means he's taking Thomas if he trades up and Okoye if he stays put.

Edited by muck

Unless their real target is Thomas if CJ is off the board.

Thomas did come to Tampa a couple weeks ago for a workout so the above posted article that stated the Bucs did not include Thomas on their campus tour is true but misguided. I could see the Bucs moving up to the 2 spot but only if they are sure they can land CJ. Thomas has a good shot now of falling to the #4 spot anyway. As for giving up Rice to move up, I don't mind it. I just don't want us to give up too much just for a shot at picking CJ.

Also, Gruden is the master of the smokescreen. There is no telling what he is thinking.

considering the state of Tampa's OL, i really wouldn't find this that surprising.

Hmm, well the state of the O-line is not as bad as you think. We also spent our 1st and 2nd round picks last year on o-line.

Edited by Jolly Rodgers

I completely agree.

I think it's pretty clear by now that there will be a VERY nice market for Detroit's pick. The asking price will only get higher, no matter what the Raiders do at #1. Of course, teams will covet CJ2 if he's there. If the Raiders take him, there will be teams moving up to get Russell or Thomas.

It sounds to me the Bucs just want to assure themselves of getting either CJ2 or Thomas -- while the price is still relatively low.

The source also says that the Lions are confused by the Redskins' interest in moving up, since Washington doesn't have many other 2007 picks to offer. In addition to the sixth overall selection, the 'Skins have a fifth-round pick, two sixth-round picks, and a seventh-round selection.

:D

duh, the Skins have only traded away their next 6 drafts. After 2013, they've got a load of picks to burn. They're just getting a head start so when those drafts come around they don't have any pesky picks just lying around waiting to be used.

I've been reading that Chucky is supposedly enamored with AD now. Maybe not a foregone conclusion that Johnson is their target?

Gruden is insane, so who knows... While its fun in theory to draft AP to pair with Caddy, I don't think its logical... How much money are they going to invest into there rb's, while the Defense is getting older and breaking down? Nevermind that Galloway can't keep at this pace forever, and Michael Clayton is a few games away from being a certified BUST.

Hell, the way some of these teams have drafted the past few years... Why not?