[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Look Out NFL

CaP'N GRuNGe

:D

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Vikings sign the next Antonio Gates?

The Vikings have agreed to terms on a three-year deal with Todd Lowber, who has never played organized football.

So why did the Vikings sign him?

Because they obviously see untapped potential. According to Lowber's agent, Jim Ulrich of Enter-Sports Management, Lowber is 6 feet 3, weighs 205 pounds, runs a sub-4.4 40-yard dash and has a 43-inch vertical.

Lowber won the 2006 NCAA Division III men's high jump championship with a jump of 7-0.5 for Ramapo College in Mahwah, N.J. He also played four seasons of basketball there.

After graduating last year, Lowber has been training to become an NFL receiver, and he was impressive enough in a workout on March 29 that several teams offered him contracts.

"I did a lot of research on the coaching staff and coach (Brad) Childress," Lowber said. "He was with the (Philadelphia) Eagles, and coach (George) Stewart is a great teacher. That really intrigued me.

"And the Vikings like to throw the ball."

Despite his inexperience, Lowber said, he can contribute immediately in the NFL.

"I have a fast learning curve," he said. "Realistically, do I think I can help this team right now? Yeah. You tell me to run this route, and catch the ball, of course I can do it. I don’t think it’ll be a problem."

Ulrich said the San Francisco 49ers, Carolina Panthers and Eagles were among the teams that expressed an interest in his client.

"He's a freakish athlete with unbelievable hands," Ulrich said. "There's no one on par with him athletically in the NFL right now."

posted by Sean Jensen at 11:40 AM

The article doesn't mention that he will be a TE, but the comparison to Gates (unless it's the "played basketball, not football in college" thing that they refer to) makes me think they are leaning that way. If so, 6'3", 205 is really small for a TE. He can run and supposedly he can catch...but can he block DE's and LB's at 205?

The Vikings have agreed to terms on a three-year deal with Todd Lowber, who has never played organized football.

So why did the Vikings sign him?

Because they obviously see untapped potential. According to Lowber's agent, Jim Ulrich of Enter-Sports Management, Lowber is 6 feet 3, weighs 205 pounds, runs a sub-4.4 40-yard dash and has a 43-inch vertical.

Lowber won the 2006 NCAA Division III men's high jump championship with a jump of 7-0.5 for Ramapo College in Mahwah, N.J. He also played four seasons of basketball there.

After graduating last year, Lowber has been training to become an NFL receiver, and he was impressive enough in a workout on March 29 that several teams offered him contracts.

"I did a lot of research on the coaching staff and coach (Brad) Childress," Lowber said. "He was with the (Philadelphia) Eagles, and coach (George) Stewart is a great teacher. That really intrigued me.

"And the Vikings like to throw the ball."

Despite his inexperience, Lowber said, he can contribute immediately in the NFL.

"I have a fast learning curve," he said. "Realistically, do I think I can help this team right now? Yeah. You tell me to run this route, and catch the ball, of course I can do it. I don’t think it’ll be a problem."

Ulrich said the San Francisco 49ers, Carolina Panthers and Eagles were among the teams that expressed an interest in his client.

"He's a freakish athlete with unbelievable hands," Ulrich said. "There's no one on par with him athletically in the NFL right now."

posted by Sean Jensen at 11:40 AM

This made me chuckle :tup:

The article doesn't mention that he will be a TE, but the comparison to Gates (unless it's the "played basketball, not football in college" thing that they refer to) makes me think they are leaning that way. If so, 6'3", 205 is really small for a TE. He can run and supposedly he can catch...but can he block DE's and LB's at 205?

I know that making the Gates references would have you thinking TE but the kid is practicing at WR. A 205lb. TE would not fit the bill, obviously.

Reminds me of the Brock Lesner experiment..... :D

Exactly the first thing that I thought of too. :D

And here I thought that we had already signed the greatest unsung TE in the league when we got Vishante Shiancoe. This off-season is just plain embarrassing for Minnesota. Why not just have open tryouts? Sounds like Childress just got jazzed after watching Invincible one too many times.

The kid is really fast and he can jump,'' Garrett said. We had a workout for six NFL teams and he ran a 4.11, a 4.21, a 4.28 and a 4.3 40-yard dash. And he had a 421/2 vertical leap.

Plus, he's such a nice kid. In all my years, he's the nicest kid I've ever been around. So polite and so respectful of his elders."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/109...07-1334159.html

Need size? Lowber is 6-3. Need leaping ability? Lowber, according to trainer Jim Garrett, can jump 42œ inches more than anyone did at the Combine. So hes 6-3 and can jump three-and-a-half feet straight up in the air standing flat-footed. How about speed? You kidding?

According to a print report in a Pennsylvania newspaper, Lowber worked out for six teams and ran the 40-yard dash four times. What were his clocked times? 4.11 seconds, 4.21, 4.28 and 4.30. Even that last time would make him one of the fastest players ever in the NFL. If that 4.11 time is accurate, he could be the fastest of all time.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/637505.html

Oh, c'mon. Is 4.11 even possible? Sounds like the Vikings have signed Superman. :D

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

4.11 seconds, 4.21, 4.28 and 4.30. Even that last time would make him one of the fastest players ever in the NFL. If that 4.11 time is accurate, he could be the fastest of all time.

Thats hard to believe he ran that fast...I wonder how they timed him - manually or automatically with the strings.