[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CJ, Gaines, & Okoye are all pot heads!

Bronco Billy

From GBN:

April 19

(12:01 AM): Top prospects admit to grass use... Acording to Pro Football Weekly, Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson, Clemson DE Gaines Adams and Louisville DT Amobi Okoye, all top 10 prospects for the 2007 draft, admitted during interviews at the NFL combine that they have used Josh Gordon on an experimantal basis. It is not clear whether this information will cause the stock of any of the three to drop with just 10 days to go until the draft. Of course, NFL teams have known this information since late February.

My thoughts:

There is a huge stir being created by the media in this, again trying to milk a minor issue into a major story. They go back to previous drafts where Sapp & Moss both dropped significantly because of pot use.

IMO, for what it's worth, this is almost a non-relevant issue. They admitted to experimenting with spliffs, not being raging dopers, and in today's society a lot of people can relate to that. Furthermore, they didn't, like Sapp did, test positive for MJ - they just admitted being kids & doing something a little bit stupid.

I don't see this as affecting any of their draft status in any meaningful way.

From GBN:

April 19

(12:01 AM): Top prospects admit to grass use... Acording to Pro Football Weekly, Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson, Clemson DE Gaines Adams and Louisville DT Amobi Okoye, all top 10 prospects for the 2007 draft, admitted during interviews at the NFL combine that they have used Josh Gordon on an experimantal basis. It is not clear whether this information will cause the stock of any of the three to drop with just 10 days to go until the draft. Of course, NFL teams have known this information since late February.

My thoughts:

There is a huge stir being created by the media in this, again trying to milk a minor issue into a major story. They go back to previous drafts where Sapp & Moss both dropped significantly because of pot use.

IMO, for what it's worth, this is almost a non-relevant issue. They admitted to experimenting with spliffs, not being raging dopers, and in today's society a lot of people can relate to that. Furthermore, they didn't, like Sapp did, test positive for MJ - they just admitted being kids & doing something a little bit stupid.

I don't see this as affecting any of their draft status in any meaningful way.

BB in today's NFL, is this really such a minor issue? Sure, they admitted to experimenting; the usage may run deeper and that is all they were willing to admit to. As a team, knowing how you and the player can be penalized, I have to think that this news at least causes a team to hesitate before delivering the index card to the Commissioner.

BB in today's NFL, is this really such a minor issue? Sure, they admitted to experimenting; the usage may run deeper and that is all they were willing to admit to. As a team, knowing how you and the player can be penalized, I have to think that this news at least causes a team to hesitate before delivering the index card to the Commissioner.

Normally I'd agree, but admitting to experimenting & testing positive are two completely different issues. One shows a kid displaying stupid - albeit normal - impulsive behavior. The other shows blatant disregard for the widely & well known NFL drug testing policy, as well as displaying incredibly poor judgment despite knowing the severe consequences -which would include potential loss of massive amounts of income and sending up a red flag for being incorporated into the NFL substance abuse system.

It also displays a significant amount of honesty to admit experimental use early in a person's life when they didn't have to or could have easily lied. That doesn't make them a hero, but it does display some character, which offsets trying a joint or two before deciding not to take one's life in that direction, IMO.

Normally I'd agree, but admitting to experimenting & testing positive are two completely different issues. One shows a kid displaying stupid - albeit normal - impulsive behavior. The other shows blatant disregard for the widely & well known NFL drug testing policy, as well as displaying incredibly poor judgment despite knowing the severe consequences -which would include potential loss of massive amounts of income and sending up a red flag for being incorporated into the NFL substance abuse system.

It also displays a significant amount of honesty to admit experimental use early in a person's life when they didn't have to or could have easily lied. That doesn't make them a hero, but it does display some character, which offsets trying a joint or two before deciding not to take one's life in that direction, IMO.

My first thought was that the headline should be different: "Only 3 top prospects tell truth about pot use."

I'd venture to guess that 90% of the 1st-round prospects have tried pot. Most of them realize there's little risk in lying, so that's what they do. By all accounts, Johnson, Adams and Okoye are all good-character guys who really have nothing to fear. Admitting to smoking a little bud only shows that they're fearless with their integrity.

My first thought was that the headline should be different: "Only 3 top prospects tell truth about pot use."

I'd venture to guess that 90% of the 1st-round prospects have tried pot. Most of them realize there's little risk in lying, so that's what they do. By all accounts, Johnson, Adams and Okoye are all good-character guys who really have nothing to fear. Admitting to smoking a little bud only shows that they're fearless with their integrity.

I will agree with you and BB on this Swiss. They could have scored some points in the character areas by admitting this.

We don't know how the question was asked either. Was the question "Have you ever used pot?" or Was the question "Have you used pot in the last year or two?" Unfortunately in today's society, most or our youth have at least experimented with pot by the time they have graduated high school.

Experimenting with pot is not a big deal... Would you guys be making a big deal if they admitted to drinking a beer before they were 21? This is almost as much of a non-issue as the report that Matt Leinart got a speeding ticket...

This is almost as much of a non-issue as the report that Matt Leinart got a speeding ticket...

Leinart, got a speeding ticket? I won't be drafting him. That is a gateway crime. Koren Robinson got pulled over for speeding, and see what it has done for him.

Experimenting with pot is not a big deal... Would you guys be making a big deal if they admitted to drinking a beer before they were 21? This is almost as much of a non-issue as the report that Matt Leinart got a speeding ticket...

In the NFL, a positive drug test...for pot...IS a big deal. Drinking beer is not something that shows up in their drug testing. I'm not condoning early drinking or drinking and driving at all. The issue here is not the age that they smoked pot...it's that these future players smoked pot at all.

Edited by The Wolf

I believe this story was first reported by PFW's Nolan Nawrocki...

Three potential top-10 draft prospects admit to Josh Gordon use

By Nolan Nawrocki

April 18, 2007

PFW has learned that three potential top-10 picks have admitted to using Josh Gordon. The admissions were recorded during standard interviews at the NFL Scouting Combine administered by the league to every player in attendance and submitted to all 32 teams for review.

Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson, Clemson DE Gaines Adams and Louisville DT Amobi Okoye, according to multiple sources who have watched the interviews, all admitted to using Josh Gordon.

Such admissions are viewed indifferently by many teams’ decision-makers who do not consider Josh Gordon experimentation to be abnormal. In the case of Johnson — who is being considered by the Raiders with the first overall pick — his stock is not expected to be affected at all, given the strength of his character. That he admitted to using the drug, to some teams, is a sign of maturity.

Honesty is highly encouraged in the interviews, and those who are not honest and later proven to have lied are likely to be punished more severely, as LSU’s Claude Wroten was a year ago. Regarded as a top-10 pick entering draft meetings, he wound up sliding to the third round.

For Adams and Okoye, however, there could be more severe ramifications given some questions that exist about the consistency of their play.

“It should scare (teams), especially when you see how laid-back (Adams) is in his play,” one team official said. “No one disputes the great physical ability. What is disputed is how passionate he is and how physical he is. Physically, from an athletic standpoint, he has all the tools. He is the No. 1 pass rusher in the draft, and I don’t think many people would argue with that.”

As for Okoye, scouts have a love-hate relationship with him. Some teams who became aware of his admission in the past month have said they did not think it would affect his draft stock at all. Others have deeper concerns about his work ethic, maturity level and fluctuations in his weight.

Considering NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s hard-line stance on players who run afoul of the law, teams could place a higher premium on character than ever before.

“The commissioner is going to be all over any team that drafts players with borderline character,” another team official said. “You are not going to see a draft like, for instance, Cincinnati’s (in 2006), where they took four criminals in one draft, because the owners are going to start getting fined.”

How many americans have at least tried it? Hope they don't do it anymore.

I tried it back in college while I was pledging (1991). Three or four times, maybe...but I was too drunk to know what kind of effect (if any) it had on me. Never touched it since.

Chris Henry wore his jersey while pointing a gun at a cop, so he obviously was not hiding who he was. Rather he was being honest and noble.

I'd bet 90% of 1st round prospects have given booze to underage girls (or at least tried to), too, yet Henry gets no points for making the fearless admission????

I will agree with you and BB on this Swiss. They could have scored some points in the character areas by admitting this.

Chris Henry got in a car w/ a blitzed-off-his-ass-drunk Odell Thurman. When he sobered up and checked hte character points, still had 'nil.

Leinart, got a speeding ticket? I won't be drafting him. That is a gateway crime. Koren Robinson got pulled over for speeding, and see what it has done for him.

:D

Edited by Bengal Mania

Chris Henry got in a car w/ a blitzed-off-his-ass-drunk Odell Thurman. When he sobered up and checked hte character points, still had 'nil.

Uhhh...why did Chris Henry become part of this discussion? There's no way you can compare these three to him.

Edited by The Wolf

I agree they scored points with me on admitting. Most would not admit because they know it could drop them a round or two if your not the best of the best. And even then it could drop u a few spots.

In the NFL, a positive drug test...for pot...IS a big deal. Drinking beer is not something that shows up in their drug testing. I'm not condoning early drinking or drinking and driving at all. The issue here is not the age that they smoked pot...it's that these future players smoked pot at all.

It was pretty clear that there drug tests came back clean. They said that they had tried it. They're 20 year old kids. Of course they've tried it. Those who never experimented are easily in the minority. I dont think the gm's view smoking pot when you were a sophmore any different than drinking a few beers.

I believe this is what we call making a mountain out of a molehill.

I believe this is what we call making a mountain out of a molehill.

That is certainly possible and we'll know next Saturday! I'd make the choice to never touch it, were I ever in their position. I'd also view a prospect differently were I a GM, knowing they has used an illegal substance.