[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CJ, Gaines, & Okoye are all pot heads!

Bronco Billy

My first thought was that the headline should be different: "Only 3 top prospects tell truth about pot use."

I'd venture to guess that 90% of the 1st-round prospects have tried pot. Most of them realize there's little risk in lying, so that's what they do. By all accounts, Johnson, Adams and Okoye are all good-character guys who really have nothing to fear. Admitting to smoking a little bud only shows that they're fearless with their integrity.

+1

Thsi was some slimey attempt by a team to knock their positions downa bit, or even a contract negotiation hit. Those interviews were for League use only and should never have been released.

These players should be given credit for admitting to it, they could have just lied but instead were up front and admitted to somethign most players have done.

It also displays a significant amount of honesty to admit experimental use early in a person's life when they didn't have to or could have easily lied. That doesn't make them a hero, but it does display some character, which offsets trying a joint or two before deciding not to take one's life in that direction, IMO.

Agreed, but admitting that in a job interview also shows a lack of wisdom on their part.

I wonder if they feared that their piss test was going to come out positive. With these 3 players, I doubt that their admissions will hurt their draft status, but they would look much worse if caught lying about it. Though, it would be tough to hold lying against a player on this issue considering how unreasonable some people are about grass. The NFL should stop testing for cannabis and this would be a non-issue until someone was arrested. I know as a coach I'd rather have my players sitting at home smoking a little grass and playing nintendo than being out at some club at 2am butt-wasted.

Unless they've smoked within the past month, it's not going to show up in a urine test. Do they even get tested prior to the draft?

And even if they have hit the pipe recently, it's just not wise to admit something like that in a job interview... especially if they're not going to get tested anytime soon. Interviewing is about selling one's self to a potential employer and image is more important than reality... especially when the interviewer asks a question about one's personal life that has nothing to do with the position.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I wonder if they feared that their piss test was going to come out positive. With these 3 players, I doubt that their admissions will hurt their draft status, but they would look much worse if caught lying about it. Though, it would be tough to hold lying against a player on this issue considering how unreasonable some people are about grass. The NFL should stop testing for cannabis and this would be a non-issue until someone was arrested. I know as a coach I'd rather have my players sitting at home smoking a little grass and playing nintendo than being out at some club at 2am butt-wasted.

I agree. Josh Gordon use is far less damaging than alcohol.

I don't think they feared failing any tests however, as they said that they had experimented in college, which could be any time dating back to 03...

Unless they've smoked within the past month, it's not going to show up in a urine test. Do they even get tested prior to the draft? And even if they have hit the pipe recently, it's just not wise to admit something like that in a job interview... especially if they're not going to get tested anytime soon.

Depending on the stringency of the test, they might be able to smoke a day or two prior and pass.

Still, I agree that your best bet is to just flat-out lie - I wouldn't even admit to knowing that pot exists - "you mean people take drugs that are ILLEGAL? Why, that's just wrong."

Depending on the stringency of the test, they might be able to smoke a day or two prior and pass.

True, especially if you don't have a bunch of THC dissolved in your fat cells from heavy prior use.

Still, I agree that your best bet is to just flat-out lie - I wouldn't even admit to knowing that pot exists - "you mean people take drugs that are ILLEGAL? Why, that's just wrong."

Yep. It's not like you're under oath or that they have a way to confirm or deny the response. Interviews are about selling a positive image of yourself, not about being as brutally honest about yourself as possible.

This is more of an issue with the kids who worship the athletes. Keep that chit to yourself, idiots. Kids get enough exposure at school and everywhere else, they don't need to know an athlete "tried" it, too.

Point 1: The kids shouldn't worship athletes. If the NFL wants to prevent whatever it is that it perceives to be a problem here, then it should start by tearing down its own false image of importance instead of consistently selling it to the minions for the sake of its own profit.

Point 2: If the NFL doesn't want kids knowing that athletes have "tried it" too, then it should mind its own fcking business by not imposing the mandatory testing in the first place and by not treating the athletes as though they are personal property.

Point 3: You're a dickhead.

Edited by Crazysight

Some shakespearean fool is about to point out that the futures market on CFL ticket sales just took a bit of a jump with the news that there is another crop of possible Ricky Williams Jrs on the way north ... But hey, everybody knows pot smoking is harmless. I mean, c'mon, all of us know a dope head who they'd love to have investing their money, driving their kids' school bus, or being the dude with his finger on the button in the Nuclear silo ... :D

And just because somebody caves to peer pressure and curiosity and experiments a bit, doesn't mean some possee is going to impact their judgement when they are suddenly richer than a columbian dealer! Lay off the drug use already and focus on folks who have committed real crimes (and its just a coincidence if they were high when they were doing it) ... :D

hey, everybody knows pot smoking is harmless. I mean, c'mon, all of us know a dope head who they'd love to have investing their money, driving their kids' school bus, or being the dude with his finger on the button in the Nuclear silo ...

Right. Anyone who smokes a joint every now and again is a pothead, just like everyone who has a few beers is an alcoholic.

Right. Anyone who smokes a joint every now and again is a pothead, just like everyone who has a few beers is an alcoholic.

then I want to be a sexaholic.

...Anyways, a lot of people are blowing this way out of proportion. Even the creator of the topic skewed the article. The topic name calls them "potheads" and seems to make it look like they are always high. They said they experimented with it, why not take them at their word? They had great college careers and they were young kids. Until they do something wrong in the NFL, then I don't care what the article says. I'm just glad the GMs aren't like a few of the posters on here and going crazy over something so petty.

It is good they admitted to it, usually if you plan on doing something again you wont confess using it. I'm guessing they don't mind saying they used pot because they know it won't happen again.

Edited by CD6405