[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine question

Sugar Magnolia

Pinot gris, or Pinot grigio in Italy, is a variant of the Pinot noir (often blended with Pinot noir to enrich and lighten the wine's flavor), with grape clusters colored bluish gray, pink and brown. Often described as having a floral, smoky, honey-tinged flavor with a minor citrus kick, Pinot gris wine is a dry, crisp white wine often high in acidity and low in tannins. Pinot gris should be consumed within two years of its vintage, and pairs well with seafood, pork and chicken, if served sans acidic embellishments. Pinot gris' nomenclature varies according to region of growth: Pinot grigio in Italy (and Tre Venezie, specifically), Ruländer or Grauburgunder in Germany, Tokay d'Alsace, Pinot beurot or Fromentau in France, and Sivi Pinot in Eastern Europe, to name a few. In the United States, Pinot gris, or Pinot grigio, is grown in Oregon primarily, though California has recently seen large growth spurts. Pinot gris is second only to Chardonnay in capital and consumption.

Actually, there is technically no difference but in practice, there is.

In terms of Shiraz and Syrah, there is a significant stylistic difference between how that grape is treated in Aussie or France (Aussie being super vibrant and fruity even when big, France being earthier and more restrained). I find that producers in other parts of the world call their wines either Shiraz or Syrah depending on which style they want to be associated with. Of course, anyone who makes an inexpensive version tends to go with Shiraz due to the overwhelming marketing advantage that they'll get.

I think the Pinot Gris/ Pinot Grigio thing is very much the same. Pinot Gris is traditionally associated with Alsace France and is often a much bigger wine than what you commonly find with Pinot Grigio. The alcohol levels are much higher and some residual sugar is not entirely unheard of. Once again, those in other parts of the world will tend to name their wines accordingly. The wines of Oregon are typically much more similar to the Alsatian version and, thus, will name themselves Pinot Gris. Also, like Shiraz, nearly all the inexpensive versions made anywhere outside of France will tend to call themselves Grigio to capture their share of the big market.

Actually, there is technically no difference but in practice, there is.

In terms of Shiraz and Syrah, there is a significant stylistic difference between how that grape is treated in Aussie or France (Aussie being super vibrant and fruity even when big, France being earthier and more restrained). I find that producers in other parts of the world call their wines either Shiraz or Syrah depending on which style they want to be associated with. Of course, anyone who makes an inexpensive version tends to go with Shiraz due to the overwhelming marketing advantage that they'll get.

I think the Pinot Gris/ Pinot Grigio thing is very much the same. Pinot Gris is traditionally associated with Alsace France and is often a much bigger wine than what you commonly find with Pinot Grigio. The alcohol levels are much higher and some residual sugar is not entirely unheard of. Once again, those in other parts of the world will tend to name their wines accordingly. The wines of Oregon are typically much more similar to the Alsatian version and, thus, will name themselves Pinot Gris. Also, like Shiraz, nearly all the inexpensive versions made anywhere outside of France will tend to call themselves Grigio to capture their share of the big market.

Good point on the style difference and now that I think about it I usually only buy Syrah and Pinot Gris.