[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chili

Gopher

Anybody have a really good chili recipe? Or, what do you put in your chili to mix it up a little bit? Anbody put anything unusual in their chili? Thinking of making some this week (I usually make a double or triple batch so there is enough to last all week). After all, it's one of the few dishes that usually tastes better heated up the 2nd or 3rd time......In the past, I have usually just stuck to the basics (2-3 kinds of beans, diced tomatoes and tomatoe sauce, onions, peppers, ground beef, seasoning/spices, etc.) What else could I throw in it to change it up a bit?

i will use cocoa powder, cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, anchos, chipotles.

i understand h8 has a couple of special recipes :D

Could i have your specific recipe? I've been trying to find a good "Cincinnati Chili" recipe which uses cocoa powder, cinnamon and clove and the main ingredients that define the chili. If you've ever been to Cincinnati there is a chain called Skyline that makes this type of chili. I do buy their pre-mix of spices when I'm in Cincy. In Cincy you do serve it Greek style which is served on spaghetti.

Could i have your specific recipe? I've been trying to find a good "Cincinnati Chili" recipe which uses cocoa powder, cinnamon and clove and the main ingredients that define the chili. If you've ever been to Cincinnati there is a chain called Skyline that makes this type of chili. I do buy their pre-mix of spices when I'm in Cincy. In Cincy you do serve it Greek style which is served on spaghetti.

i don't have one.... do it to taste. brown my meat, add seasonings, tomato juice, tomato paste, stock or water....... simmer.. add slurry to thicken if necesarry. never been to cinci, but have heard of skyline.

My wife is from Cinci so we've made that chili before. I don't recall there being any cocoa powder in it. We just googled it and found a recipe on line. If I have time, I'll find it. One thing that I recall being a somewhat important element is that the meat is not browned. You just dump everything in the pot and go.

A lot of award winning chili's will use tri-tip instread of ground meat. Very expensive and a lot of work. But one thing that is an absolute must is to use Gebhardt's Chili powder. I have never found a store you can get it from but you can buy it through Amazon.com. It's like $24 for six large bottles, but worth every penny.

I put a ton of crap in my chili...

garlic

cinnamon

brown sugar

stout beer

onion

crushed tomatoes

ground sausage

ground beef or sirloin

creole seasoning

chili hot beans

kidney beans

kosher salt

pepper

ground dry chilis, ground cayenne peppers, ground toasted cumin seed, garlic powder, or if I'm lazy straight chili powder but the homemade chili powder kicks ass and takes a little time because you roast the peppers

I put out a ton of crap when I eat chili...

garlic

cinnamon

brown sugar

stout beer

onion

crushed tomatoes

ground sausage

ground beef or sirloin

creole seasoning

chili hot beans

kidney beans

kosher salt

pepper

ground dry chilis, ground cayenne peppers, ground toasted cumin seed, garlic powder, or if I'm lazy straight chili powder but the homemade chili powder kicks ass and takes a little time because you roast the peppers

:D

2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

1 Members: darin3

:D

Oh, and I am a BAD chili aficionado. I actually like Weinerschnitzel chili. :D Oh, and I bought some Wolf brand chili and it was pretty good.

I use cubed venison instead of ground beef. Other then that, kind of basic. Usually throw in some jalepenos and any other veggie out of the frig. I don't really worry about a recipie very much. Each batch is a little different then the next.

Edited by Brewer

I use cubed beef and cubed pork.

Me too - sometimes spicey sausage. Deer or elk makes good chili too. When I make it with venison, I rarely tell people and just smile when they as what's in it. :D

I also use a block or two of unsweetened chocolate and plenty of good peppers in addition to chili powder. Fresh tomatoes really add something to it when they're in season.

Me too - sometimes spicey sausage. Deer or elk makes good chili too. When I make it with venison, I rarely tell people and just smile when they as what's in it. :D

I also use a block or two of unsweetened chocolate and plenty of good peppers in addition to chili powder. Fresh tomatoes really add something to it when they're in season.

I think you should start putting penguin in your chili. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give everyone an update..... Tried a couple of new things this time. First, I used tri-tip instead of ground beef. Didn't brown it or anything, just diced it raw and dumped it in a pot with the other ingredients, turned the burner on low/med settings, and let it cook slowly for about 3 hours. My wife, who is not a huge chili fan, loved it. We both agreed that the tri-tip made a huge difference (very tender). Also threw in some very hot hot sauce and some cinnamon, which I had not tried before. The cinnamon was more noticeable by smell than by taste, but it seemed to compliment the spicy flavor nicely. Other than that, just used some jalepeno peppers, onions, diced tomatoes, some beans (I know, some of you don't use them), and various spices. It was good enough that, even though I made a triple batch, we almost finished it all off between the two of us. My wife and I both ate some daily for almost a week straight. Needless to say, the downside of this has been some of the odors permeating throughout our home.

If you haven't tried it with tri-tip, I would highly recommend it. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I can't stress enough how good the cubed tri-tip was in the chili that I made. Best I have tried yet. If you haven't tried it, by all means, give it a shot.

Edited by Gopher