[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamarcus Russell: Boom or Bust?

spain

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad we have someone here who knows so much more than the experts. What would all us ig'nant folks do without you? Will you be my hero and show me the way to true knowledge? :D

Yes. But the rituals involved to join the order involve livestock & industrial size containers of KY jelly. Are you sure that you are prepared to receive education?

Seriously - please don't give me the "experts" crap. Let's go through drafts & check how the experts did. Tony Mandarich, anyone? Ted Gregory? Charles Rogers? Ryan Leaf? We can name a multitude of busts who were supposedly 1st round worthy - in some cases #1 pick worthy.

I base my opinions upon what I see and whatever information I can gather from what I consider reliable sources. Am I always right? :tup: Far from it. Does it make my opinion invalid because I don't coif my hair and charge people like you to gulp my opinions like candy & repeat them verbatim like a mantra? :D

Edited by Bronco Billy

Yes. But the rituals involved to join the order involve livestock & industrial size containers of KY jelly. Are you sure that you are prepared to receive education?

Seriously - please don't give me the "experts" crap. Let's go through drafts & check how the experts did. Tony Mandarich, anyone? Ted Gregory? Charles Rogers? Ryan Leaf? We can name a multitude of busts who were supposedly 1st round worthy - in some cases #1 pick worthy.

I base my opinions upon what I see and whatever information I can gather from what I consider reliable sources. Am I always right? :D Far from it. Does it make my opinion invalid? :D

don't worry BB, i value your opinions

I base my opinions upon what I see and whatever information I can gather from what I consider reliable sources. Am I always right? :doh: Far from it. Does it make my opinion invalid? :D

I am ready oh master-debater. :tup::D

Fair enough Bronco! I've watched Russell thru most(albeit short) of his college career & I can see how a lot of folks will say he's a potential bust. He has a lot of the same characteristics & carries at least some of the hype that Vick did and I think it's becoming the "it" thing among fantasy footballers to doubt his abilities without doing any background homework. We will agree to disagree for now, but I will be bumping this thread in January so that you can eat your well-deserved crow. :D

Edited by I Come In Peace

I just look at situations and systems, and Oak is a bad place for a QB. If Russels legs can by him time which the O Line can't, then it will be equavilant to NFL sandlot ball....scramble and chuck it deep. I've been feeling bust for awhile with him, also, the funny thing is I told Mrs.PD after the Sugar Bowl.."That young man just made himself alot of money from his performance tonight.....national stage vs the pourous ND defense.

I am ready oh master-debater. :D:D

Fair enough Bronco! I've watched Russell thru most of his college career & I can see how a lot of folks will say he's a potential bust. He has a lot of the same characteristics & carries at least some of the hype that Vick did and I think it's becoming the "it" thing among fantasy footballers to doubt his abilities without doing any background homework. We will agree to disagree for now, but I will be bumping this thread in January so that you can eat your well-deserved crow. :D

:tup:

I'll get my ketchup ready!

Seriously - and I've stated it before, I agree Russell has some big-time physical tools. No question. I also admit he could be an uber-stud at the next level, if you base your judgment upon his physical abilities. But I also see some significant risk there, and if I were a NFL GM or owner - which I'm obviously not, or I wouldn't be discussing this stuff with you peons :doh: - my tolerance for risk with the 1st pick in the draft would be such that I wouldn't be willing to draft Russell with the 1.01. There are some warts there that I don't see in some other potential top picks.

:D

I'll get my ketchup ready!

Seriously - and I've stated it before, I agree Russell has some big-time physical tools. No question. I also admit he could be an uber-stud at the next level, if you base your judgment upon his physical abilities. But I also see some significant risk there, and if I were a NFL GM or owner - which I'm obviously not, or I wouldn't be discussing this stuff with you peons :D - my tolerance for risk with the 1st pick in the draft would be such that I wouldn't be willing to draft Russell with the 1.01. There are some warts there that I don't see in some other potential top picks.

Out of curiosity, who do you think they should take? Quinn? He's not nearly as mobile and would get slaughtered behind one the worst offensive lines in the league and what the heck would they do with Calvin Johnson that they couldn't do with Moss & Porter? They could go with Joe Thomas, but he's not an entire offensive line & they would still not have anyone to actually protect. Their best bet would be to trade down, but we all know Davis is too stupid to do the right thing. The pick has to be Russell or it will be wasted and if it is Russell he will make VY look like a high-schooler next year.

:D Another well-informed customer I presume or are you just hanging off what Mr Billy has to say?

LMMFAO, Hardly. Russell wasnt even guaranteed the starting job at LSU coming into last season for a reason, he hadnt proved anything. Ripping the ND defense isnt that impressive if you ask me, and I think russell came out because he didnt want to be exposed next yr and see his stock plummet. Russell is no Vince Young. Vince single handedly won games for his team, Russell wasnt asked to win games at LSU, just not lose them. he was a perfect example of managing the game type of QB, unless the game was out of hand, then he padded his stats, like vs ND. Russell is a poor mans Culpepper, he generally doesnt make good decisions. Russell had one of the best Defenses in college football to bail him out, and was average at best against the better SEC teams, and also played on a team with weapons galore on offense. None of those things are in place in Oakland. The OL is terrible, Moss and Porter are both malcontents, and Russell wont have time to throw the ball deep, and he isnt that elusive. He may be hard to bring down, but it isnt like he is going to be that accurate with a defender at his legs, or running for his life. Jeff George had a cannon arm, and went #1 overall as well because NFL execs said he had great physical tools. How did that work out.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Out of curiosity, who do you think they should take? Quinn? He's not nearly as mobile and would get slaughtered behind one the worst offensive lines in the league and what the heck would they do with Calvin Johnson that they couldn't do with Moss & Porter? They could go with Joe Thomas, but he's not an entire offensive line & they would still not have anyone to actually protect. Their best bet would be to trade down, but we all know Davis is too stupid to do the right thing. The pick has to be Russell or it will be wasted and if it is Russell he will make VY look like a high-schooler next year.

Calvin Johnson. They trade Moss to GB, get later picks & a backup QB in Rodgers - which they need to help a lot of weaknesses - let Porter be their #1 WR while Johnson learns the ropes & is ready to be the #1 WR, and address at a minimum 3 picks on the O-line with this draft. They could use GB's 1st rounder on Staley at OT to start with, and hopefully follow it up with Kalil at C in the 2nd round (if he lasts that long).

Walter isn't the problem in OAK - he's got credibility as a QB, even though his pro numbers don't show it. No QB could succeed in that O with the O-line they have. Hell, Walter was being avalanched by DLs by the time his set his feet in those 7 step drops they were running last year. Seriously - it was ugly no matter who the QB was. Walter showed a lot just having the balls to complete the passes he did last year.

But the rituals involved to join the order involve livestock & industrial size containers of KY jelly. Are you sure that you are prepared to receive education?

I'm in! :D Where do I sign up?

Have any of you actually seen Russell play? The problem with Randy Moss in the past has been that nobody can get him the ball deep. Russell can chunk the ball 80 yards with the flick of the wrist, be extremely accurate doing it and has the legs to elude whoever he wants. Mark this down, Russell will be, by far the best QB in this draft & will be everything everyone hoped Vick would be.

I saw him play a couple times and must say I wasnt that impressed. Yes, he was ok and not a liability. And there is no doubt the kid has a rocket arm. But again, I didnt see any Vince Young type qualities where he just put the team on his back against superior talent to win the game. Did you?

And remember, we are talking about him going 1.1 in the draft. I dont think he justifies being taken there with the HUGH downside risk that he has. Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and a host of others should go ahead of Russell. As well as Quinn and maybe another QB or 2. The kid has talent, but I am thinking Akili Smith when I see him...

Edited by spain

I saw him play a couple times and must say I wasnt that impressed. Yes, he was ok and not a liability. And there is no doubt the kid has a rocket arm. But again, I didnt see any Vince Young type qualities where he just put the team on his back against superior talent to win the game. Did you?

I guess you didn't get to see him rally against Tennessee last year. After throwing 3 INT's early and the defense falling apart he rallied & brought the team back completing 24 of 36 passes including the game winner with 9 seconds to play. In fact Russell hold s a25-4 record as the starter for LSU which includes 8 4th quarter or overtime comebacks.

And remember, we are talking about him going 1.1 in the draft. I dont think he justifies being taken there with the HUGH downside risk that he has. Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and a host of others should go ahead of Russell. As well as Quinn and maybe another QB or 2. The kid has talent, but I am thinking Akili Smith when I see him...

That's a possibility, but IMO only Calvin Johnson is worthy of that 1st pick & he would be a wasted pick with Moss & Porter there already. With a new offense & a new QB & that has been of a coach Shell out Moss & Porter should have a new found interest in the team & will be ten times the weapons Russell had at LSU.

I guess you didn't get to see him rally against Tennessee last year. After throwing 3 INT's early and the defense falling apart he rallied & brought the team back completing 24 of 36 passes including the game winner with 9 seconds to play. In fact Russell hold s a25-4 record as the starter for LSU which includes 8 4th quarter or overtime comebacks.

Watched the whole game. LSU won in spite of Russell, not because of him. Did you watch the game?

Great. He's Jake Plummer II.

:D

That's a possibility, but IMO only Calvin Johnson is worthy of that 1st pick & he would be a wasted pick with Moss & Porter there already. With a new offense & a new QB & that has been of a coach Shell out Moss & Porter should have a new found interest in the team & will be ten times the weapons Russell had at LSU.

Do you realize how stupid this last sentence is. Moss and Porter are both vets, they should be better than a college player. And the fact they both lost interest shows, that if things go wrong again, which with that OL, it will, they will just do what comes natural, pout and suck. Oakland needs to trade Moss to GB for a pick, take Calvin, and get Beck in round 2 or 3 and this franchise will have a franchise Qb and WR and something to build around. Russell will add to the problems this team has suffered in the last few drafts. Can you imagine another high round bust.

BTW, stick around here long enough and Ill teach you a thing or two about football :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan