[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers After LJ?

PACKERS MAKING A PLAY FOR L.J.?

Scout.com is reporting that the Packers have offered a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick to the Chiefs for running back Larry Johnson.

If true, the report is a stunner. Packers G.M. Ted Thompson doesn't like to pay big money to strangers to the team, and it's going to take really big money to keep Johnson beyond 2007, the last year of his rookie deal.

And if an offer that big has been made to the Chiefs for Johnson's rights, the Packers surely have reached a tentative agreement with Johnson's agent on a long-term deal. Otherwise, the Packers would be picking up Johnson for only one season before having to either use the franchise tag or let him walk away.

Per Profootballtalk.com

Edited by The Next Generation

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Put LJ on that team - and if I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of cap room for a large future contract - and add Moss through trade and suddenly you've got a serious contender for the NFC title.

The price sounds about right - a 1st & a 4th.

That would also put KC in the hunt for a RB who can absorb a ton of carries in the draft.

GB's O Line made great strides last year as well. And if I am not mistaken, they are all pretty young too, so LJ could have a fantastic line to run behind for a while. This would be a fantastic move for the Packers.

Edited by The Wolf

Put LJ on that team - and if I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of cap room for a large future contract - and add Moss through trade and suddenly you've got a serious contender for the NFC title.

possibly, though you may be a bit guilty of dan snyder thinking there. but yeah, they'd be a whole lot scarier for favre's swansong with LJ and/or moss than without.

Maybe a KC fan can correct me, but isn't LJ more of a down hill runner? More flow to the edge than make a cut against the grain? He's obviously a talented guy, but he doesn't seem to be the one-cut guy to fit the scheme.

KC guys :D

GB's O Line made great strides last year as well. And if I am not mistaken, they are all pretty young too, so LJ could have a fantastic line to run behind for a while. This would be a fantastic move for the Packers.

Interior of the line is. Clifton and Tauscher have a couple of good years left. They could probably move Colledge to tackle at some point, although they've been grooming him as a guard.

yeah, they made strides last year and show definite upside...

Interesting.

The price sounds about right - a 1st & a 4th.

That would also put KC in the hunt for a RB who can absorb a ton of carries in the draft.

So, if this trade goes through, KC will pick:

1.16 (Joe Staley or a d-lineman who's slipping, maybe? ... hopefully not Ginn!)

1.23 (WR, CB or lineman)

2.54 (WR, CB, QB or lineman)

3.82 (WR, CB, QB or lineman)

4.112 (CB, QB or lineman)

5.148 (CB, QB or lineman)

5.160 (CB, QB or lineman)

6.196 (CB, QB or lineman)

7.231 (CB, QB or lineman)

...and end up with one WR, one CB, one QB and six linemen...

If GB is offering that, and the deal gets done, we all know that it'll probably end up more expensive than that. KC is asking for two firsts (supposedly) ... GB offers a 1st and 4th ... the deal gets done with a 1st and a 4th this year and a 2nd next (or something like that).

...and which bigger RB can absorb a ton of carries? Brian Leonard ... maybe? Michael Bush ... probably not? Surely we're not looking at Michael Bennett toting the rock for us all year, are we?

Hmmm....

Edited by muck

...if KC does this, are they done dealing?

...remember, they still are trying to get Trent Green moved for maybe as much as a 2nd and 7th...

...and, if that happens, we'd have eleven picks to fiddle around with...

Is Carl Peterson trying to build his draft board so that he can zip to the top of the stack for a particular player ... or is he going to try to completely revamp the team from top to bottom in a single draft? :D I think the only player I think I'd be excited about them trading up for is CJ...

Edited by muck

I think the only player I think I'd be excited about them trading up for is CJ...

What about for AP? By all accounts, KC would not have to move up as high to get him as they would for CJ. KC does need a WR but it's a deep WR draft...and moving LJ woulf leave a gaaaaaaping hole.

What about for AP? By all accounts, KC would not have to move up as high to get him as they would for CJ. KC does need a WR but it's a deep WR draft...and moving LJ woulf leave a gaaaaaaping hole.

I have thought about that. Thing is I can't remember a time when KC has moved up that many spots to go after a guy. That and in the last few years they have done good with there selections in round one by taking the best player mentality that landed them LJ, the one time they moved up was for Ryan Sims and he's been the biggest bust for the organization in a long time. I'd rather they stockpile picks and hopefully get better as a whole and make this type of move next year for a good RB.

I have thought about that. Thing is I can't remember a time when KC has moved up that many spots to go after a guy. That and in the last few years they have done good with there selections in round one by taking the best player mentality that landed them LJ, the one time they moved up was for Ryan Sims and he's been the biggest bust for the organization in a long time. I'd rather they stockpile picks and hopefully get better as a whole and make this type of move next year for a good RB.

Forgot where I heard/read it (in here?) but next season is supposed a deep RB draft. If that's the case, you're plan would make a lot of sense. I'm just a HUGH fan of AP...he will make an excellent pro.

Edited by The Wolf

If we do all of these trades, I think that KC is preparing to really suck eggs next year ... and end up with a high draft pick in next years' draft (which they could use either on a QB if Croyle / Huard don't cut it or on a RB who could slide in quickly, hopefully).

I can't think that Tony Gonzalez wanted to go out this way ... maybe he'll be shipped out of town, too in a complete purging of some form? Send hime to GB with LJ in exchange for GBs entire draft this year?

...lol...

If we do all of these trades, I think that KC is preparing to really suck eggs next year ... and end up with a high draft pick in next years' draft (which they could use either on a QB if Croyle / Huard don't cut it or on a RB who could slide in quickly, hopefully).

I can't think that Tony Gonzalez wanted to go out this way ... maybe he'll be shipped out of town, too in a complete purging of some form? Send hime to GB with LJ in exchange for GBs entire draft this year?

...lol...

Most likey. What do KC fans want?

1. SuperBowl

2. Dominating Defense

3. A strong running game

4. A franchise QB

3 and 4 could go either way. In the 90's we had the defense and no offense, in the new millennium we have had a good offense and a piss poor defense. (Here comes Mr. Obvious)The best way to win a championship is to have a balanced team on both sides of the ball with a franchise QB and a strong running game.

If Im KC, I ask for GB's 1st and WR G Jennings for LJ. then I draft Marshawn to replace LJ, and use their first on a OL. They solve 3 positions for 1 player and their current draft pick. I then load up on OL the next 2 rounds, with my picks and the pick I get for Trent Green. the defense will have to wait a yr, as its a weak crop all the way around outside round 1.

If Im KC, I ask for GB's 1st and WR G Jennings for LJ. then I draft Marshawn to replace LJ, and use their first on a OL. They solve 3 positions for 1 player and their current draft pick. I then load up on OL the next 2 rounds, with my picks and the pick I get for Trent Green. the defense will have to wait a yr, as its a weak crop all the way around outside round 1.

They offered a 1 and 4.

I doubt they'd give up a 1 and last years 2.

The staff loves Jennings, and im fairly certain that there is no way Jennings gets moved.

This deal is going to happen. Ever get a feeling? Same thing happened with ARod here in NY. We barely started talking about the 'rumor" when we learned it was a done deal. I have the same exact feeling about this trade that I had back then.

It'll happen and it'll happen quick. LJ is headed to GB.

Obveously no RBs run exactly the same, I'm simply saying they have the same body type, and I have seen similarities in the ways they run.

huh? LJ is 2 inches taller (which is a lot for an RB), and 15-20 pounds heavier. the tape i've seen on lynch reminds me nothing of LJ.