[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos conitnue their offseason remake

Bronco Billy

Figure Holdman to start at SAM, with Lewis adding LB depth. The team has undergone hugh changes since last season:

2007 starters (with 2006 starters in parenthesis):

QB Cutler (Plummer)

RB Henry (T Bell)

FB Johnson (Johnson)

WR Walker (Walker)

WR Marshall (R Smith)

TE Graham (Alexander)

OT Lepsis (Lepsis)

OG Cuper (Carlisle)

C Nalen (Nalen)

OG Hamilton (Hamilton)

OT Pears/Meadows (Foster)

DE Ekuban (Ekuban)

DT Warren (Warren)

DT Veal/McKinley (Myers)

DE ??? (Lang)

WLB Gold (Gold)

MLB Williams (Wilson)

SLB Holdman (Williams)

SS ??? (Ferguson)

FS Lynch (Lynch)

CB Bailey (Bailey)

CB Bly (Williams)

K Elam (Elam)

P Sauerbrun (Ernster)

KR Hixon?/??? (Williams)

That's a change of 12 of 22 O/D starters, and 2 of 3 on special teams. What an offseason!

The addition of Holdman solves their 3rd starting LB problem, leaving DEN with holes at SS & DE right now. With two 3rd rounders this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see them move up in the draft - maybe a deal with HOU, where they swap 1st rounders & DEN adds in their early 3rd rounder, and then taking DEs Carricker or Anderson, DT Okoye (if he drops), or S Landry (if he drops) in that slot, and then using their 2nd rounder to find a DE/S (whichever way they don't go in rd 1) to compete for the starting spot at that position.

Looking at the changes, it would be hard to argue that they didn't upgrade at every position where they made a change on O, and don't lose much if anything going from Wilson to Williams at MLB. I'm liking the look of this team. It looks like they're going back to power running and should have a very good passing game to go with it. On D, depending upon how the draft goes, they ought to be very solid if not spectacular - unless they get a stud at DE in which case they could be a very good D.

Edited by Bronco Billy

BB, what's their cap situation? I know there were some posts going back where others were wondering how the team was making these moves. Cutting Wilson helps a little, but they have added a lot of new faces -- and still have draft picks to sign.

I've heard they're interested in Willis. But if they trade up, I hope its not for him. As much as I like the guy and think he'll be a great player, I'd much rather see them invest their 1st rounder in the DL.

Is Marshall officially slated to start over Smith?

If so, very interesting. As a UCF alum, I've always liked Marshall. If he's starting alongside Javon and they don't add another big name via draft/FA, Marshall could be a steal in the later FF rounds.

Nothing is official until the season starts, but R Smith & Shanahan have already spoken about reducing his role in the O, possibly splitting time with Stokley when both are healthy as the #3 WR. Marshall looked good when Cutler was starting at QB, and it looks like Cutler trusts him.

I'd be surprised if Marshall didn't take over as the #2 WR.

Agree that they have upgraded all over the board, but what concerns me know is that they may have changed to many positions. I don't remember a team that did a complete overhaul and came back the next year to make a run at the SB. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm a little concerned.

I've heard they're interested in Willis. But if they trade up, I hope its not for him. As much as I like the guy and think he'll be a great player, I'd much rather see them invest their 1st rounder in the DL.

I agree. unless they make a trade to get a solid DL they have no choice but to grab 1 with their 1st round pick IMO.

Agree that they have upgraded all over the board, but what concerns me know is that they may have changed to many positions. I don't remember a team that did a complete overhaul and came back the next year to make a run at the SB. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm a little concerned.

it's kinda hard to call it a complete overhaul, as there's still a lot of continuity there, even if it's just rookies from the 05 class (could go down as a great draft for the broncos) moving into more prominent roles. the new guys from outside -- graham, henry, bly, holdman -- are solid vets who should be able to find their niche pretty quickly.