[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Detroit to draft Johnson

Piranha

Unless a blockbuster trade comes their way...

Link

The Detroit Lions organization met Friday and concluded that, unless a blockbuster trade offer comes their way, they will draft Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Many will deduce that this decision is a matter of posturing, but the organization insisted it wasn't. Nor did it sound like it. Detroit has decided that if Oakland goes with LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, as many expect, it has no choice but to draft the next best player on its board, Johnson.

Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz was one of the key cogs in the decision, getting the rest of the organization excited about the way he would use Johnson. It should be enough to scare other teams in the NFC North.

But the Lions made it very clear Friday night that their past failures at wide receiver will not deter them from revisiting the position.

Link

The Detroit Lions organization met Friday and concluded that, unless a blockbuster trade offer comes their way, they will draft Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Many will deduce that this decision is a matter of posturing, but the organization insisted it wasn't. Nor did it sound like it. Detroit has decided that if Oakland goes with LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, as many expect, it has no choice but to draft the next best player on its board, Johnson.

Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz was one of the key cogs in the decision, getting the rest of the organization excited about the way he would use Johnson. It should be enough to scare other teams in the NFC North.

But the Lions made it very clear Friday night that their past failures at wide receiver will not deter them from revisiting the position.

YEP

I know it is easy to rip Millen but taking CJ is the right move. Unless they get some huge trade offers they will keep him. TB will need to give their #1 and 2 #2's or they will never see CJ. Sorry Spain they keep the pick unless they strike gold in the trade market which I do not see happening. TB has to many holes to fill to give up a 1 and two 2's. On the flip side, giving up CJ for anything less than multiple high round picks is a huge mistake. I do not see the Lions making that mistake. Yes they have Millen, but they also have Marinelli and Martz to block him. Last years pick Sims was dead on and I do have faith in Marinelli to make the right pick.

I know it is easy to rip Millen but taking CJ is the right move. Unless they get some huge trade offers they will keep him. TB will need to give their #1 and 2 #2's or they will never see CJ. Sorry Spain they keep the pick unless they strike gold in the trade market which I do not see happening. TB has to many holes to fill to give up a 1 and two 2's. On the flip side, giving up CJ for anything less than multiple high round picks is a huge mistake.

Ooh, nice try. Hope you like the consolation prize.

Even if the Lions actually draft Johnson, it will be to trade him during the draft. A wide receiver - even one as talented as Calvin Johnson is touted as being (and weren't Charles Rogers and Mike Williams supposed to be game changers, too?) - will not help the Lions win more games. The Lions already have a budding superstar WR in Roy Williams and a 100-catch, 1000-yard wide receiver in Mike Furrey. Even if Johnson lives up to his hype, he won't have a big effect on the passing offense, because it's already very good. If the Lions decide they need to improve the O, the line is the place where a first-rounder can make the most difference.

The Lions need to trade down, and they need to go D. I would be thrilled if the Lions found a way to get Patrick Willis, and I would be fine if they decided to go DE. CB is a need, but I don't think that it will be addressed in the first round unless they trade down quite a bit.

I do not see the Lions making that mistake. Yes they have Millen, but they also have Marinelli and Martz to block him. Last years pick Sims was dead on and I do have faith in Marinelli to make the right pick.

I think that you're right, which is why I don't think that the Lions will choose and keep Johnson. I think that Millen has finally learned that running a real football team isn't like running a fantasy team; that skill position players aren't the be-all and end-all of the draft. Kiper wasn't hot on the Sims pick last year, and I hope that we piss that plastic-haired wascaly wabbit off again this year by taking another intelligent non-skill position pick.

Besides Roy Williams, what other WRs are really worth a darn?

Uhhh, Mike Furrey. 98 catches, 1086 yards. Those are some quality numbers. They signed Shaun McDonald from the Rams, and he should be a very adequate third receiver. And personally, I'd still like to see if Mike Williams can amount to anything. Considering the state of the rest of the Lions squad, they're relatively stacked at WR.

If I was the Lions org., I would move Roy Williams if I could. He is overrated. He's the type of receiver that people have been calling a budding superstar ever since he first came into the league, but the simple fact is that his play is inconsistent and has been from the very beginning of his NFL career. Because of that he will never live up to those expectations. If possible, it would be best for the Lions to trade Williams to a team that would overpay and draft CJ, who likely will be a true superstar (and Charles Rogers never had any of the physical attributes of CJ. CJ is bigger, faster and jumps higher than Rogers ever did. Randy Moss is the only other receiver I can think of who came into the league with a similarly freaky combination of size and athleticism. CJ also doesn't appear to have the poor work ethic that Rogers had.).

Though I'm sure that Kitna is licking his chops over the thought of having CJ, Williams and Furrey on the same team.

Edited by Crazysight

:D

Well, what to do with the second pick overall when WR is the last of your team many needs? Do you pass on Johnson and get pilloried when Johnson turns out to be Randy Moss without the attitude and Gaines Adams is a bust. The Lions have to unload the pick. But it doesn't look like anyone wants to play ball.

I like the scenario that someone already mentioned: draft Johnson, shop Roy Williams. I'm not sure what the Lion could get for Williams though, particularly after they have drafted Johnson. So if I'm Detroit I:

1) Hope that the Raiders do not draft Russell.

2) Draft Johnson if the Raiders draft Russell and I think I can get decent value in a trade for Roy Williams.

3) Draft Adams if the Raiders draft Russell and I don't think I can get suffcient value for Williams.

4) :D

2) Draft Johnson if the Raiders draft Russell and I think I can get decent value in a trade for Roy Williams.

3) Draft Adams if the Raiders draft Russell and I don't think I can get suffcient value for Williams.

Option 4.

Well, what to do with the second pick overall when WR is the last of your team many needs? Do you pass on Johnson and get pilloried when Johnson turns out to be Randy Moss without the attitude and Gaines Adams is a bust. The Lions have to unload the pick. But it doesn't look like anyone wants to play ball.

I like the scenario that someone already mentioned: draft Johnson, shop Roy Williams. I'm not sure what the Lion could get for Williams though, particularly after they have drafted Johnson. So if I'm Detroit I:

This is the most likely scenario.

Link

Many will deduce that this decision is a matter of posturing

I think they wait until 14:59 has elapsed for the perfect deal to come up--and if it doesn't, then they take Johnson and keep shopping him until it does. And if the perfect deal never comes, then they stand pat with the best player in the draft.

Peace

policy

I think they wait until 14:59 has elapsed for the perfect deal to come up--and if it doesn't, then they take Johnson and keep shopping him until it does. And if the perfect deal never comes, then they stand pat with the best player in the draft.

Peace

policy

I hope that you're right (except for the standing pat part). As I said before, even if Johnson's talent translates into the the NFL as well as most predict it will, a great WR will not help the Lions win any more games this year than they did last year.

I hope that you're right (except for the standing pat part). As I said before, even if Johnson's talent translates into the the NFL as well as most predict it will, a great WR will not help the Lions win any more games this year than they did last year.

And who will? I agree about trading down but I really do not think that the Lions will draft CJ in hopes of trading him. I really think that if they do trade him they will listen to offers but clearly plan to keep him unless the "Big Deal" is offered.

Dirtroit will trade down. This is simply posturing.

Detroit knows what they are doing. They have a lot of experience picking extremely early in the draft.

The lions will have drafted a receiver in the top 10 more times than the Pats have won superbowls in this decade if this happens...

You guys suck..... :D

On a more serious note ..I can understand how they don't want to pass CJ up. IMO he is the most talented player in the draft. but we need a Joe Thomas.

If we end up with Russell or Quinn you are gonna be talking to 1 irate Lions fan today.