[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles- Kolb

Zooty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Sal and Jaws are both shocked and they are Philly guys.

Strange considering the need DB help and could use a LB or at least another DL (again).

Wonder what all this means for McNabb

Still

:D:D

I hate the Ea-girls but this make sense to me...no gaurantee on McNabb's ability to stay healthy anymore...no Garcia...there was a need for a young QB to develop. Not sure how well he fits in their system though

Nice Sal and Jaws are both shocked and they are Philly guys.

Strange considering the need DB help and could use a LB or at least another DL (again).

Wonder what all this means for McNabb

Still

:D:D

Mike Mayyock said "Don't start the Donovan McNabb death watch just yet."

Kolb is a several year developmental player. Kind of early to draft him, but I like him.

I'm not so shocked....not at all.

I mentioned in the Quinn thread I thought that if he slipped to #26, they'd be silly to pass. I felt all along they needed to draft a QB sooner-than-later to give him the 3+ years it takes to truly understand this offense. I was a little surprised the QB happened to be Kolb, but not surprised one iota that they selected a QB.

Still, Kolb is a strong-armed passer, and perhaps most importantly for the Eagles brass, scored exceptoionally well on the Wonderlic and currently has a 3.7 GPA, and was well interviewed and respected by the Houston coaching staff. Should be an excellent pupil in Andy's system.

From NFL.com:

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has good size with adequate muscle definition, losing more than 10 pounds of "baby fat" in the last year to improve his agility rolling out of the pocket … Mobile passer with the nimble feet to make all of his throws when rolling out of the pocket … Short strider who has the change-of-direction agility to sidestep the initial tackler, doing an effective job of throwing from either of the outside hashes … Loves the challenge in pressure situations and remains cool in the backfield, despite numerous protection breakdowns (was sacked 33 times in 2006, but fumbled only once), as he is also very conscious of protecting the ball to prevent the costly fumble … Makes good on-field adjustments and checks on the pre-snap and is alert to zone coverages … Worked hard with the team's new strength coach before the 2006 season and the trimmed frame and added strength allowed him to stand tall in the pocket … Puts nice touch and velocity on his short-to-intermediate throws … Displays good arm strength and accuracy on sideline, screens, slants and crossing routes … Has enough foot speed and balance to be a threat running with the ball and shows good body control in his pass set-up … Can slide and avoid, doing a nice job of escaping pressure and creating when on the move … Does whatever he can to stay alive in the pocket, as he picks up defensive schemes quickly and has no problems taking plays from the chalkboard to the field … Best when making calls at the line of scrimmage, as he does a very good job of scanning the field … Can pull the ball down and make something out of a broken play with his feet and is accurate throwing on the move … Has adequate quickness dropping back from center to his pass-set point and is able to get good depth due to his fine balance and quick feet … The thing you see on 2006 film is that he now does a much better job of setting his feet and stepping into his throws than in past seasons … The ball comes off Kolb's hand with average zip and good touch as he knows how to step towards his target and maintain balance following through with his passes … When he uses a three-quarter release and steps into his throws, his release is much more compact and natural … Throws a tight spiral that receivers don't have to come back on when operating in tight spaces … Throws the long ball with adequate touch and accuracy, zips the posts and even when he passes off his back foot, he is still able to generate good velocity … Patient sitting in the pocket and scanning the field, locating his secondary targets with good efficiency … Shows better accuracy with underneath tosses than on long throws, but does an effective job of keeping the receiver in his route progression without having to break stride … Puts good air behind the short fade routes, knowing when to take something off those throws … Can zip the pass into tight coverage away from the defender, demonstrating good placement and has the awareness and ability to slide in the pocket and continue to scan down field … Knows where all of his targets are and will throw the ball away rather than force the issue when all are covered … Does a good job of squaring his shoulders and driving with his legs to break tackles when forced to run with the ball … Has the vision to pick his spots to run to and is quick to slide and avoid being punished when the defender closes on his rushing attempt … Self-starter who has been a great program player and unquestioned leader ever since first stepping into the huddle as a freshman … Vocal leader, but not the type who appears arrogant, like some quarterbacks tend to be.

Negatives: Has a soft midsection, high-cut calves and thin ankles … Forced the ball more often during his junior year, as he ran through several streaks where he simply threw right to the opposition, resulting in 15 interceptions after having only 12 during his first two years combined … However, he did improve dramatically in this area as a senior … When he holds on to the ball too long, he will be forced to improvise and the result was generally not good (lots of fumbles due to poor ball security) … His problems throwing the ball away came when he threw it to dangerous spots on the field where there was no receiver in sight … Has a nice over-the-top release, but sometimes will wind up (no major issues though) … When he carries the ball too low, it slows down his delivery a bit … When pressured and forced to roll out, he had a little bit of a problem, as his receivers did have to adjust a bit … In the past, he was known as a streaky performer, but he became a much better rhythm passer in 2006 due to his ability to scan the field and be more patient waiting for his receivers to get free … Stands in the pocket taking vicious hits trying to make the pass play because of poor protection throughout his career and needs to throw the ball away more rather than try to create something out of nothing.

Compares To: Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos … Before his senior season, Kolb was reminiscent of David Carr -- blessed with good arm strength, but too streaky in his performance … With added maturity, a trimmer body and a stronger arm, he has elevated his status to the top of the position.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

123 Kevin Kolb Houston QB 6-3 218 4.85

I am sure this is exactly who you wanted. You should not be suprised. You should be pissed off. Joke of a pick. Nice call GM.

Impressive fish you got there :D

Well when you win the division every year, you can afford to draft back-up QBs with your 1st pick :D

Well that ends this year. Dallas will be happy taking the reins from you. :D

Looks like we caught another fish..

:D

Detroit just took the QB you should of picked. Oh well..

Exactly.

Detroit just took the QB you should of picked. Oh well..

Not only do I have a problem with them taking a QB this early, but with WRs like Jarret, Smith, Rice, LB Harris, CB Houston or even Loenard still available it makes absolutely no sense. Any of those guys could fill a need right now. The Eagles have three QBs on the roster now so where does Kold fit? Does this mean Holcomb is gone? Sal Palontonio said maybe this says that McNabb isn't healing fast. If that is the case is Kolb really gonna step in? Why did they sign Feely then? I just can't make sense of this pick.

Edited by ebartender

Not only do I have a problem with them taking a QB this early, but with WRs like Jarret, Smith, Rice, LB Harris, CB Houston or even Loenard still available it makes absolutely no sense. Any of those guys could fill a need right now. The Eagles have three QBs on the roster now so where does Kold fit? Does this mean Holcomb is gone? Sal Palontonio said maybe this says that McNabb is healing fast. If that is the case is Kolb really gonna step in? Why did they sign Feely then? I just can't make sense of this pick.

+1

I actually watched him play in high school! I went to a game in Stephenville and they had a team that would throw the ball a lot. He racked up big numbers in that offense (which was only Div. 2A or 3A I think) and then went to Houston where they also like to throw a lot in a wide open offense.

Not so sure how well that will mesh with a West Cost offense though. He has to be considered a project I would think.

I don't get it, but lately the Eagles braintrust has rarely steered me wrong so for now I can go with whatever their plan is.

I would agree with this but for the life of me I can't see how this pick makes any sense. Especially with the players that were left on the board. So even if McNabb can't play this year will Kolb really play?

I would agree with this but for the life of me I can't see how this pick makes any sense. Especially with the players that were left on the board. So even if McNabb can't play this year will Kolb really play?

If anything, this makes me worry more about the status of McNabb.