[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles- Kolb

Zooty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reid saying he was the best player on their board.

They could have used depth at CB, S, or LB. Plus you can never have enough depth at OL or DL. They have McNabb as the starter and they just signed Feely to an extension. Plus they got Holcomb as a #3. Unless they cut/trade Holcomb I don't see this kid even making the roster. They wouldn't keep 4 QBs would they?

They could have used depth at CB, S, or LB. Plus you can never have enough depth at OL or DL. They have McNabb as the starter and they just signed Feely to an extension. Plus they got Holcomb as a #3. Unless they cut/trade Holcomb I don't see this kid even making the roster. They wouldn't keep 4 QBs would they?

makes NO sense to me at all. Holcomb has to be on the way out, but why draft a "project" QB with your first pick of the draft??

makes NO sense to me at all. Holcomb has to be on the way out, but why draft a "project" QB with your first pick of the draft??

According to the Eagles they don't have any holes to fill. They went into the draft saying they would take to best player available and at #36 it was Kolb. No holes to fill...Suffering succotash!!!!!! Did I miss the Superbowl victory the Eagles had last year? Did Constadine magically become a guy who can actually play safety in the last couple months? Did Dawkins & Trotter all of a sudden become 26 years old again?

Well I like the Eagles last two picks (Stewart Bradley & Tony Hunt). They got a OLB that could be a nice player and FINALLY a big RB to go along with Westbrook that can hopefully get the tough yards up the middle.

I couldn't agree more. Two excellent picks IMO. Bradley was a great value pick as he hung around a little longer than he should've and Hunt will be a nice compliment to Westy.

Edited by irish

I was perplexed, as Kolb will most likely never play a down for us - but let's not go overboard since half the QB's drafted day this weekend won't play a down for the team that drafted them. My bigger concern with it is that as tough as McNabb has had to be with the Eagles fans and media...why would the organization pile on right now - obviously Kolb is of no value this year or next for us (realize we aren't talking about a Cleveland - this is a Super Bowl contending team - we're not putting Kolb in unless we have another freak injury year like two years ago). Seems like this will just make McNabb have to spend time and mental energy on questions that he should be using to spend on rehab.

Do like the other picks. I think the Griffin/Mayweather picks screwed them up a bit as they were targetting whoever was left of the two, thinking at least one of them would be there.

Here's Reid's comments (off the Eagles site) in a discussion with Spadaro (think Spadaro is letting him off easy as not addressing the REAL short term effect here):

I asked Reid after the pick was made how it looks if McNabb comes back and throws 35 touchdown passes for the next 10 years and the Eagles win a bunch of Super Bowls. What happens with Kolb then?

"I hope in 10 years you can ask me that question, that we're here talking about that," said Reid. "With quarterbacks, if you have a good one that you feel good about, and you don't really care what anyone else thinks, there's one player you feel good about, and he comes across your board, and you feel he's the best, you take him. Then you just let it happen.

"If he gets an opportunity to play, then he plays. If Donovan continues to play at the level he's been playing at, more power to it. It keeps you on top in the NFL and gives you the opportunity to win championships."

I will tell you the Eagles loved Kolb, had him rated at the very high end among quarterbacks in this draft and believe he has every intangible necessary to be a great one.

So we will see. It was a stunning move, completely out of left field, but there is no set of coaches I feel is better equipped to guide a young quarterback. The Eagles' track record with quarterbacks speaks for itself. The system is great. The pieces around the quarterback are terrific. The coaching stability is unmatched.

So we will see. It was a stunning move, completely out of left field, but there is no set of coaches I feel is better equipped to guide a young quarterback. The Eagles' track record with quarterbacks speaks for itself. The system is great. The pieces around the quarterback are terrific. The coaching stability is unmatched.

Basically how I feel. I don't get the move, but I have got to feel as if they have a reason and a plan for it.

Hmmm....people have no problem drafting backups @ O-line that project as future starters (Justice) or D-backs (Lito, Brown), but when the do it at QB, everyone freaks. McNabb just hasn't been able to stay healthy, so the drafted the best QB on their board to groom as their QB of the future (you don't draft him #36 overall and NOT expect him to play in a year or two). So...to me, that says that he learns this year, becomes the backup next year and projects to start in 2009. Seems about right to me. It's so funny, NO ONE (fans anyway) thinks McNabb can win the big one (chokes, etc) but when they draft an eventual replacement, who the coaches OBVIOUSLY think will be a great QB, it's a bad pick...too funny.

I was perplexed, as Kolb will most likely never play a down for us - but let's not go overboard since half the QB's drafted day this weekend won't play a down for the team that drafted them.

half the qb's drafted this weekend won't be drafted with a teams first pick. Most teams that have a pro bowl qb starting and a backup that knows the system he's playing in don't draft a qb with their 1st pick.

Hmmm....people have no problem drafting backups @ O-line that project as future starters (Justice) or D-backs (Lito, Brown), but when the do it at QB, everyone freaks. McNabb just hasn't been able to stay healthy, so the drafted the best QB on their board to groom as their QB of the future (you don't draft him #36 overall and NOT expect him to play in a year or two). So...to me, that says that he learns this year, becomes the backup next year and projects to start in 2009. Seems about right to me. It's so funny, NO ONE (fans anyway) thinks McNabb can win the big one (chokes, etc) but when they draft an eventual replacement, who the coaches OBVIOUSLY think will be a great QB, it's a bad pick...too funny.

There's only one QB needed to start and McNabb fits the bill for the very foreseeable future. There are 5 offensive lineman, several CBs, several LBs, WRs, Defensive lineman, ah you get the point. There's a greater need of depth at all these other positions because there are more of them and if McNabb went down who do you think the Eagles will be playing Feely or Kolb? That's right Feely. I said it before and I'll say it again Kolb was a wasted pick, period.

I hate the Ea-girls but this make sense to me...no gaurantee on McNabb's ability to stay healthy anymore...no Garcia...there was a need for a young QB to develop. Not sure how well he fits in their system though

for them to draft him in the 2nd round...they must feel strongly about his ability to fit the WCO...

I have no clue who the guy is, though..

First of all, when they drafted Lito, Troy Vincent was on his last leg in Philly. Plus it is a lot easier for a DB to contribute early via SPT or as a nickle or dime player. Winston Justice was a 2nd round pick but they already took Bunkley in the first. I think the fact that the Eagles have depth issues at a few positions and decided to take a player at a position where they seem very deep is why people are questioning the move. They traded their 1st this year only to take a QB with their first pick. QB was one of the deeper positions on the team. If they were going to draft a QB this year why did they extend Feely's contract?

I think a lot of people believe the Eagles can win with McNabb but they have to improve other parts of the team too. They are very weak at SS. They have no depth at CB. Dawkins & Trotter are yet another year older. The back up RB is Ryan Moats. Other then Reggie Brown, who is a nice WR, the rest of the WRs are average. They don't have a true #1. Now I like that the picked Bradley & Hunt. That should hopefully help OLB & RB. But they could have had a better draft by staying put IMO.

Here's Reid's comments (off the Eagles site) in a discussion with Spadaro (think Spadaro is letting him off easy as not addressing the REAL short term effect here):

I asked Reid after the pick was made how it looks if McNabb comes back and throws 35 touchdown passes for the next 10 years and the Eagles win a bunch of Super Bowls. What happens with Kolb then?

"I hope in 10 years you can ask me that question, that we're here talking about that," said Reid. "With quarterbacks, if you have a good one that you feel good about, and you don't really care what anyone else thinks, there's one player you feel good about, and he comes across your board, and you feel he's the best, you take him. Then you just let it happen.

"If he gets an opportunity to play, then he plays. If Donovan continues to play at the level he's been playing at, more power to it. It keeps you on top in the NFL and gives you the opportunity to win championships."

I will tell you the Eagles loved Kolb, had him rated at the very high end among quarterbacks in this draft and believe he has every intangible necessary to be a great one.

as much as a joke Spadaro is when it comes to asking questions...he did get one thing right...

the Eagles brass is pretty good at developing QB's.....at least to fit their system anyways...

but honestly, how long before the fans starting chanting Kolb's name?...

as much as a joke Spadaro is when it comes to asking questions...he did get one thing right...

the Eagles brass is pretty good at developing QB's.....at least to fit their system anyways...

but honestly, how long before the fans starting chanting Kolb's name?...

and when that happens and Philly brass listens you can kiss any hopeful playoff appearances good-bye for a couple years.

First of all, when they drafted Lito, Troy Vincent was on his last leg in Philly. Plus it is a lot easier for a DB to contribute early via SPT or as a nickle or dime player. Winston Justice was a 2nd round pick but they already took Bunkley in the first. I think the fact that the Eagles have depth issues at a few positions and decided to take a player at a position where they seem very deep is why people are questioning the move. They traded their 1st this year only to take a QB with their first pick. QB was one of the deeper positions on the team. If they were going to draft a QB this year why did they extend Feely's contract?

I think a lot of people believe the Eagles can win with McNabb but they have to improve other parts of the team too. They are very weak at SS. They have no depth at CB. Dawkins & Trotter are yet another year older. The back up RB is Ryan Moats. Other then Reggie Brown, who is a nice WR, the rest of the WRs are average. They don't have a true #1. Now I like that the picked Bradley & Hunt. That should hopefully help OLB & RB. But they could have had a better draft by staying put IMO.

I agree...except I think Curtis can be at least as good as Brown.... unless Brown has a complete breakout season....it's not impossible...

Reid saying he was the best player on their board.

But what they clearly didn't understand is that he was not the best player on any other baord. :D

It's fine if Reid and the Philly GM have a man-crush on the kid, but for crying out loud trade down, or pick someone else of value in the 1st round and then grab this scrub in the 2nd or 3rd.

But what they clearly didn't understand is that he was not the best player on any other baord. :D

It's fine if Reid and the Philly GM have a man-crush on the kid, but for crying out loud trade down, or pick someone else of value in the 1st round and then grab this scrub in the 2nd or 3rd.

I don't question Reid's ability to evaluate QB talent. If Reid thinks this kid will be good then I wouldn't disagree. I question when they drafted him. Unless Reid thinks this guy is the next great QB, I don't see why the used their 1st pick on a QB when they had other positions that needed help more then QB.

I don't question Reid's ability to evaluate QB talent. If Reid thinks this kid will be good then I wouldn't disagree. I question when they drafted him. Unless Reid thinks this guy is the next great QB, I don't see why the used their 1st pick on a QB when they had other positions that needed help more then QB.

if Reid knows anything..it's OL, DL and QB's...