[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homemade tortillas

Bonehand

I have been wanting a tortilla press for a long time, so I finally picked one up this weekend, and quickly set to making a mess of fresh corn tortillas.

At risk of sounding like a pretentious food geek, I have to say the texture and mouth-feel :D of the homemade tortillas is incomparable. They were really easy to make as well, just Masa, Water and salt, kneaded by hand until smooth. Roll into golf balls, & place on the plastic wrap lined press. Squish, peel off, and cook immediately on a hot griddle. I will be working this into my regular repertoire.

So, since I had all these amazing tortillas, I was of course forced to make pork carnitas with adobo, and a salsa cruda to top them with. A little queso fresco, chopped avocado, & cerveza made the meal complete. Drool.

I have to say, if you have the time and inclination, try this out. It's fantastic.

Edited by Bonehand

I have been wanting a tortilla press for a long time, so I finally picked one up this weekend, and quickly set to making a mess of fresh corn tortillas.

At risk of sounding like a pretentious food geek, I have to say the texture and mouth-feel :D of the homemade tortillas is incomparable. They were really easy to make as well, just Masa, Water and salt, kneaded by hand until smooth. Roll into golf balls, & place on the plastic wrap lined press. Squish, peel off, and cook immediately on a hot griddle. I will be working this into my regular repertoire.

So, since I had all these amazing tortillas, I was of course forced to make pork carnitas with adobo, and a salsa cruda to top them with. A little queso fresco, chopped avocado, & cerveza made the meal complete. Drool.

I have to say, if you have the time and inclination, try this out. It's fantastic.

great now im starving :D

I've never made homemade tortillas before but I guarantee I'll give this a try.

At $20 for the press, it's well worth it. I can't WAIT to make Juevos Rancheros with fresh tortillas. Or Chilaquiles...

been a while since i've made my own, but fresh tortillas really make a mexican meal. last night we went out for mexican (must be the weather) and got some flautas...very good.

big fan of adobo! made some salsa the other night with adodo in it.

must admit that lately i have been very lazy in my home kitchen. when i get more energy i will defintiely give these a try.

Homemade tortillas are the way to go. There is a Tortillaria (they are popping up everywhere) 2 blocks from my house. I get 32 handmade tortillas made the same day for $1.29!! Awesome and NO mess.

Thanks Bone.......the wife is doin a foods class for young kids this summer.....this would be a cool project :D

Funny you should say that, It's perfect, actually! When I got home last night I found out we were having fresh tortillas for dinner for a second night, as my 7 yr old daughter loved making them so much she wanted to do it again.

Puddy / Chuck,

Can I get some authentic Mexican food in Mexicantown at that grocery store right off 75 and Clark (I think)?

There are a couple of places. E&L Supermercado on West Vernor and Cavalry or Honeybee Market on Bagley. You should be able to find anything you want at either of those. I'd love to go down to one myself soon and buy a few things. Let's pick a Sunday morning and head down.

There are a couple of places. E&L Supermercado on West Vernor and Cavalry or Honeybee Market on Bagley. You should be able to find anything you want at either of those. I'd love to go down to one myself soon and buy a few things. Let's pick a Sunday morning and head down.

Sounds good to me.

We buy uncooked flour tortilla's from Sam's Club and cook them in the frying pan. Also been using them lately for ultra thin crust pizza. After cooking them in the frying pan, crisp 'em up in the oven a bit, add your pizza sauce, cheese, meat, etc and throw back in the oven. The best crisp crust. Great stuff.