[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barlow meets w/Steelers

Copeman

So, did they sign Barlow or what?

He doesn't play QB now does he?

They did not sign Barlow yet. I haven't heard any reports on the specifics of the visit at this point.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is going to argue that Ben can't be an effective QB in the systems he is in. Heck, the Steelers still finished .500 even though Ben was far more likely to throw a pick rather than a TD. He tried to do too much and the Steelers lost games because of it. It isn't rocket surgery, guys like Dilfer, Grossman, and Ben can be successful if they don't lose games while letting their D and RB's win games. The Steelers will do just fine this season if Ben keeps the game simple, dinks and dunks, and stays within his abilities.

You are right, if Ben successfully dinks and dunks his way to the highest yards per completion, the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL, and the best playoff QB Rating in the NFL this year, like he did two years ago, we will probably be o.k.

You are right, if Ben successfully dinks and dunks his way to the highest yards per completion, the 3rd best QB rating in the NFL, and the best playoff QB Rating in the NFL this year, like he did two years ago, we will probably be o.k.

:D

I would still love to hear who the dink receiver is or even the dunk receiver???????

This coming from a Steeler fan WISHING they would dink and dunk from time to time. The lack of dink and dunks is what made Ben's first 2 successfull seasons so amazing.

Edited by SteelerMurf

Ugh...looks as though they are signing him.

The Steelers and free agent Kevin Barlow are reportedly working on finalizing a one-year contract.Impact: Barlow, a Pitt alum, has been working out at his alma mater's practice facility which lies directly adjacent to Steelers headquarters. ESPN's John Clayton reports Barlow could be signed by as early as Tuesday

The Steelers and free agent Kevin Barlow are reportedly working on finalizing a one-year contract.Impact: Barlow, a Pitt alum, has been working out at his alma mater's practice facility which lies directly adjacent to Steelers headquarters. ESPN's John Clayton reports Barlow could be signed by as early as Tuesday

As a Steelers fan, I LOVE the move.

As a Willie Parker owner, it doesn't thrill me, but, doesn't scare me too much.

However, the Steelers fan in me always trumps the Fantasy Football owner, so, I'm all for it.

I don't know why so many people seem to be against signing Barlow. It is not as if they are signing him in to be a starter. He will be a back up and possibly a goal line back, not an every down back. I think it is a good move to sign someone to add depth to a position where there currently is none.

Unlike everyone else I think Barlow would eat up many of Parkers carries and would destroy Parkers value.

Parker was just way to ineffective in short yardage situations last year for being behind such a good line. I think the Steelers had to find someone else to use with Parker.whether it be Barlow or someone else I really expect Parkers numbers to drop this year.

Unlike everyone else I think Barlow would eat up many of Parkers carries and would destroy Parkers value.

Parker was just way to ineffective in short yardage situations last year for being behind such a good line. I think the Steelers had to find someone else to use with Parker.whether it be Barlow or someone else I really expect Parkers numbers to drop this year.

The The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY had a 6' 250 pound RB last year in Davenport who carried the ball 60 times and scored 1 TD in 13 games. How would one conclude that Barlow is going to destroy Parker's value?

The The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY had a 6' 250 pound RB last year in Davenport who carried the ball 60 times and scored 1 TD in 13 games. How would one conclude that Barlow is going to destroy Parker's value?

It does not have to be Barlow..but it will be someone. anyone who watched the Steelers play last year watched Parker fall down on 1 hit in short yardage situations way to much.

People look at stats sometimes and don't see the real player. IMO Parkers stats make him look much much better than he is. of course this is my opinion. just wanted you to see how I concluded this. :D

It does not have to be Barlow..but it will be someone. anyone who watched the Steelers play last year watched Parker fall down on 1 hit in short yardage situations way to much.

People look at stats sometimes and don't see the real player. IMO Parkers stats make him look much much better than he is. of course this is my opinion. just wanted you to see how I concluded this. :D

Well there is no doubt Parker isn't a prototypical goal line back and could very well loose some value in that respect. But you stated that Barlow would eat up many of Parker's carries and destroy his value. That is a very strong statement and since Barlow seems more like a borderline pro caliber player that could never distinguish himself on the 49ers or the Jets, I'd be interested to know what your rationale is for this.

Well, from someone who watched every play of the Steelers, most more than once :D, I have to disagree with you. Parker was very solid in goal-line situations. He actually does pretty well in short yardage situations as well. Sometimes people let his size fool them. His biggest threat is obviously his home-run ability, but, he can hit a hole hard and did well, for the most part, in his goal-line and short yardage opportunities.

I actually think Parker can be better than he was last year, if Roethlisberger is more in tune in the passing game, thus, providing more opportunities for scores. Also, the Steelers haven't used Parker nearly enough in the passing game. Spreading the offense out like Arians and Tomlin have talked about will help a speed back like Parker as well.

All that said, the guy obviously carried the ball too much last year, and the Steelers do need someone to take some of the load away from him. Also, I find it hard to believe that the Steelers will run as much post-Cowher. They will still be a run-first team, but, I can't see anyone being as stubborn towards the running game as Cowher was. He had one season in 2003, where he abandoned the run-first attitude and they went 6-10, he then quickly went back to his philosophies. It should be an interesting year for the Steelers.

Edit.... One thing to remember about Parker, is that last year was essentially only his 2nd year, as he never saw the field his first two pro seasons, so, he is still learning. He does lack vision sometimes, but, he is getting better and could still improve.

Edited by Menudo

Well there is no doubt Parker isn't a prototypical goal line back and could very well loose some value in that respect. But you stated that Barlow would eat up many of Parker's carries and destroy his value. That is a very strong statement and since Barlow seems more like a borderline pro caliber player that could never distinguish himself on the 49ers or the Jets, I'd be interested to know what your rationale is for this.

I wrote this..

"Unlike everyone else I think Barlow would eat up many of Parkers carries and would destroy Parkers value.

Parker was just way to ineffective in short yardage situations last year for being behind such a good line. I think the Steelers had to find someone else to use with Parker.(whether it be Barlow or someone else )I really expect Parkers numbers to drop this year."

Look in the parenthesis above.

Right now since the 2nd best back on the roster would possibly be Barlow I would conclude it would be Barlow. now that could change with different acquisitions or some other person stepping up.

Understand rubberband?

Well, from someone who watched every play of the Steelers, most more than once :D, I have to disagree with you. Parker was very solid in goal-line situations. He actually does pretty well in short yardage situations as well. Sometimes people let his size fool them. His biggest threat is obviously his home-run ability, but, he can hit a hole hard and did well, for the most part, in his goal-line and short yardage opportunities.

I actually think Parker can be better than he was last year, if Roethlisberger is more in tune in the passing game, thus, providing more opportunities for scores. Also, the Steelers haven't used Parker nearly enough in the passing game. Spreading the offense out like Arians and Tomlin have talked about will help a speed back like Parker as well.

All that said, the guy obviously carried the ball too much last year, and the Steelers do need someone to take some of the load away from him. Also, I find it hard to believe that the Steelers will run as much post-Cowher. They will still be a run-first team, but, I can't see anyone being as stubborn towards the running game as Cowher was. He had one season in 2003, where he abandoned the run-first attitude and they went 6-10, he then quickly went back to his philosophies. It should be an interesting year for the Steelers.

Edit.... One thing to remember about Parker, is that last year was essentially only his 2nd year, as he never saw the field his first two pro seasons, so, he is still learning. He does lack vision sometimes, but, he is getting better and could still improve.

Good analysis Menudo.

But IMO Parker is best suited for a team that throws to their backs more than than the Steelers do. if he is gonna be a starter that is.I also think Parkers line made him look better in short yardage situations than he was. I think he is a 3rd down back. of course..as you said ,you have watched him play more than me. but this is what I see from what I have watched.

Sports Illustrated had some stats up as of December 18th of last year. This is off of a Steelers message board, and the link is since dead, but, these were accurate as of that time:

Willie:

4th 0-2 yards 2 attemps 2 first downs

3rd 0-2 yards 11 attempts, 8 first downs

LT:

4th 0-2 yards 1 attemps 1 first downs

3rd 0-2 yards 13 attempts, 10 first downs

LJ:

3rd 0-2 yards 15 attempts, 12 first downs

Big Back" Brandon Jacobs:

4th 0-2 yards 3 attemps 2 first downs

3rd 0-2 yards 18 attempts, 12 first downs

Duce Mcallister:

3rd 0-2 yards 16 attempts, 9 first downs

Sports Illustrated had some stats up as of December 18th of last year. This is off of a Steelers message board, and the link is since dead, but, these were accurate as of that time:

Willie:

4th 0-2 yards 2 attemps 2 first downs

3rd 0-2 yards 11 attempts, 8 first downs

LT:

3rd 0-2 yards 13 attempts, 10 first downs

LJ:

3rd 0-2 yards 15 attempts, 12 first downs

Big Back" Brandon Jacobs:

4th 0-2 yards 3 attemps 2 first downs

3rd 0-2 yards 18 attempts, 12 first downs

Duce Mcallister:

3rd 0-2 yards 16 attempts, 9 first downs

I am sure they are accurate..or at least close if nothing else.

Good analysis Menudo.

But IMO Parker is best suited for a team that throws to their backs more than than the Steelers do. if he is gonna be a starter that is.I also think Parkers line made him look better in short yardage situations than he was. I think he is a 3rd down back. of course..as you said ,you have watched him play more than me. but this is what I see from what I have watched.

Fair enough. I respectfully disagree, and don't think last year was a fluke. All good backs benefit from good offensive lines. However, the Steelers offensive line has been getting too much recent credit, for Steeler lines that played years before. Faneca is still phenomenal. Marvel Smith is consistent. Jeff Hartings was still o.k., but, he was deteriorating due to injuries. Kendall Simmons & Max Starks played below average in my opinion.

With Mahan or Okobi replacing Hartings, offensive line play is the biggest concern for me as both a Steelers fan and a Willie Parker owner. That o-line is not the dominant force it once was, more so in the pass protection game, but, also, it is down a bit in run blocking as well.

You are right about Parker needing to be more involved in the passing game, but, don't assume he won't be used. Remember, Bruce Arians is the new Offensive coordinator, and he threw the ball quite a bit during his stint in Cleveland. The Steelers will open up their offense a bit this year, I'm not sure how well they will succeed, but, I'll be shocked if they don't throw the ball more than they have in the past under Cowher.

Now now, a lot of knowledgeable people here know an awful lot about football (amongst other things). When someone says that a RB's value is going to be destroyed I was assuming it was more than a gut feeling based on nothing else.

Carry on. :D

Man..in 1 of our debates along time ago I must of really hurt your feelings...because you are on everything I say..and you know what?...I love it.

He used to be infatuated with me...

:D

His infatuation with me started immediately after Super Bowl XL, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon........ :D

Fair enough. I respectfully disagree, and don't think last year was a fluke. All good backs benefit from good offensive lines. However, the Steelers offensive line has been getting too much recent credit, for Steeler lines that played years before. Faneca is still phenomenal. Marvel Smith is consistent. Jeff Hartings was still o.k., but, he was deteriorating due to injuries. Kendall Simmons & Max Starks played below average in my opinion.

With Mahan or Okobi replacing Hartings, offensive line play is the biggest concern for me as both a Steelers fan and a Willie Parker owner. That o-line is not the dominant force it once was, more so in the pass protection game, but, also, it is down a bit in run blocking as well.

You are right about Parker needing to be more involved in the passing game, but, don't assume he won't be used. Remember, Bruce Arians is the new Offensive coordinator, and he threw the ball quite a bit during his stint in Cleveland. The Steelers will open up their offense a bit this year, I'm not sure how well they will succeed, but, I'll be shocked if they don't throw the ball more than they have in the past under Cowher.

Yeah..no doubt ...the Steelers have different people running things this year and things will be different. I also expect Parker to be a little more involved in the passing game.

I am really hoping they do open up their passing game this year as a Santonio Holmes owner in a number of Dynasties. what is the word on him this year Menudo?..not to change the subject.