[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Green Egg Project

Caveman_Nick

I currently have a 20ish lb pig leg (the 'ham' part o' the pig, minus the curing etc.), or a 'fresh ham' in a solution of coke, dark rum, ice, cloves, nutmeg, and chili peppers. It's been in there for 4 hours, and will remain until roughly 5:30 AM tomorrow.

At about 5 AM I fire up the Egg and get it ready for a long 225º smoke. Once it's ready, I will remove the fresh ham from the solution, insert some garlic into the slits that I have cut in the meat, give it a rub with salt, black, white and cayenne pepper, and toss it on to smoke. I don't have the plate setter accessory (the thing that deflects the heat for indirect cooking), so I will be making a makeshift foil heat shield, and the ham will sit in a nice big roasting pan with a v-rack. I will put a couple of cups of the solution in the bottom of the pan.

I will make a sop of dark rum, coke, ipswich dark ale, canola oil and cayenne pepper, and after about 5-6 hours I will spray the meat down every half an hour or so. It should take around 11 hours to come to temperature.

Once it's done, I will grill some fruit up to go with it, like some pineapple slices, peaches, mangoes, etc. I'll also have some cheesy potatoes sitting in the crock pot.

Mmmmm.......can't wait :D And lots of leftovers after the company leaves :D

Dipping sauces for the Ham and Fruit:

Mustard Sauce:

Brown Sugar

Apple Juice

Pureed Pineapple

Pureed Garlic

Cider Vinegar (just a bit)

Brown Mustard

Tomato Based Sauce:

Tomato Paste

Whiskey

Cider Vinegar (just a bit)

Pureed Onion

Pureed Garlic

Salt

Onion Powder (just a bit)

Garlic Powder (just a bit)

Black and White Pepper

Melted Butter

Water (to thin it out)

Remember, dome temp = 225. Temp of the grill itself maybe a bit cooler. a 20lb hunk o' meat may take some time at 225 (I learned this from experience and from going to BGE message board.). If you think it's taking way to long to cook, you may want to boost the dome temp up to 240-250.

Oh...and the feast sounds amazing.

3 BGEs at thehuddle now. The cult is growing.

i want one so f'ing bad. after being grill-less for 6-plus years in new york, i got a nice weber charcoal grill when we moved to california a few months ago. i looked at the Eggs, but my wife said when we buy a place (we're renting now), i could get one then, which made sense. anyway, that sounds really good, and i'm really jealous.

Hey Unta....

I was figuring 30 minutes a pound at that temp. You think that's under estimating it?

FWIW, there is a lot of 'area' on this meat...long flat kind of slab. Probably 5-6 inches thick, 15 inches long.

what internal temp are you looking for? pulled pork = around 200 degrees. pork leg? I'm not sure what the internal temp would be. However, you may be underestimating. I think I'd increase the temp a bit. Of course, by now, it'sl all done and you're enjoying a great meal.

what internal temp are you looking for? pulled pork = around 200 degrees. pork leg? I'm not sure what the internal temp would be. However, you may be underestimating. I think I'd increase the temp a bit. Of course, by now, it'sl all done and you're enjoying a great meal.

160º

EDIT: and it went in at 6 AM this morning :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

The cheesy potatoes are baking up now :D

The piggy is not quite as done as I would like...sitting at around 145. I have an hour to go, though...so all hope is not lost. I turned the egg up a little bit and put a good coat of baste on there to try and speed up the process.

Not quite as well as I had hoped, but still very good.

The leg didn't finish cooking uptil 10:30 PM, and even then I could have let it cook more. The brining and basting that I used made a very delicious and spicy crust, between the carmelized rum and coke/dr. pepper and the cayenne.

The meat is very tender and tasty, albeit in the front part of the leg a bit drier than I would have liked. It also was not quite as 'smoky' as I had intended. I have more to learn on dealing with my Egg.

The information I read indicated that I should have the skin trimmed off the leg, leaving 4" along the bottom part. Having tasted the meat that was under the skin, if I were to do this again I would leave the skin on, and I would have put the leg in last night. It just would have been that much more tasty.

Fortunately my guests were still around when I finished, so they got to have some tasty portions, and I had made a turkey and barley soup earlier in the day so they has that to eat in the mean time, along with the cheesy potatoes (which were very good!)

All in all a success and a lesson learned. I will be that much more prepared next time. Next week....probably brisket time :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick