[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams Tests Positive For Mary Jane

The Wolf

Updated: May 11, 2007, 11:02 AM ET

Docs recommend delay of Williams' NFL reinstatementBy Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for Josh Gordon in April and will not be allowed to apply for reinstatement to the NFL until September, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Williams was suspended last year for violation of the substance abuse policy and was eligible to be reinstated this month, but the league's medical advisors that oversee Williams' personal rehabilitation program recently notified commissioner Roger Goodell of the positive test, sources said.

The doctors also recommended that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement until September, sources said. The commissioner usually adheres to the advice of the medical advisors under the substance abuse policy.

"Falling off the wagon is part of rehab," a source said. "Based on the medical evidence in Ricky's case, the doctors say it's too early to come back. He had the positive test last month. Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like Josh Gordon, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

League spokesman Greg Aiello said the NFL would have no comment, as did Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene.

David Cornwell, an attorney who has represented Williams during his substance abuse cases, said he would honor the confidentiality policies in effect with another no comment.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Edited by The Wolf

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, are the Ricky apologists going to give him a sixth chance now? :D

:D

You can count me as one of those.

I was always a fan of his. When Marino left he was really all the Dophins had. Running the ball behind a bad Oline and being beaten into the ground by Wannstadt.

I've defended him countless times on this board only to be let down time & time again.

What a waste of talent.

I'm pissed & sad at the same time.

CYA Ricky.

Cal me a "Ricky apologist", but I always thought Ricky just marched to the beat of a different drummer…. never meant to bother anyone, and liked to live his life the way he wanted to live it. That’s cool, but the NFL powers have dictated a certain level of behavior from its players regarding substance abuse and Ricky caught their eye coming out of UT with his strange behavior.

He has been talking for several years about how straight he has been: strict diets, no drugs, yoga, meditation, no more out of wedlock kids, etc. But judging by his actions over that time: his one year “retirement” in 2004, followed by a 4 game suspension in 2005, followed by another year long suspension in 2006, and now this latest slip, it is very clear that he cannot or does not want to adhere to the level of scrutiny the NFL has placed on him

So be it. He should just quit and/or retire and do his own thing. The CFL took him last year – he should go back up there and play a few more years to earn some $ then go walk the earth.

The guys has all the physical talent in the world, but was never meant to be in the public eye.

I understand about the NFL behavior policy but why they test for MJ I don't know. It's hardly performance enhancing, is it?

If it's a drug it's a drug. Example:

I have no problem with professional athletes doing steroids. Taken in the correct manner and cycles I don't believe or have been shown studies they are harmfull. Abusing them definitely has it's adverse health effects. But, if you start saying this drug is ok and that's not, it just opens the door for alternatives and loopholes. I understand the testing and agree with it.

Remember, he's been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder -- that's a real disease and a good percentage of those folks self-medicate with substances like Josh Gordon, often at the moment they are about to have a high level of social interaction."

Bull. Well, you know the rest.

"How can that NOT be tested for? Not doing so implies that the NFL allow its players to use an illegal drug."

Well it's illegal to jaywalk, drive with a headlight out, and drive faster than the posted speed limit too (also all "victimless crimes"). The NFL is out of line testing for pot, as it shouldn't be any of its business if some players indulge every once in a while on their free time. The players in the league are essentially owned by the NFL when it is allowed to mandate policies of this nature that it imposes regardless of whether or not the player is "at work" or not and by doing so helps to perpetuate the popular misconceptions about pot use as well.

My opinion of the league will have reached an all-time low if it fails to act on the Michael Vick case with AT LEAST as much emphasis as it does the pot smokers.. Lets weigh the evilness between smoking a dube every once in a while and the long-term infliction of physical and psychological cruelty on a multitude of intelligent living beings (also illegal, I might add).

Edited by Crazysight

"How can that NOT be tested for? Not doing so implies that the NFL allow its players to use an illegal drug."

Well it's illegal to jaywalk, drive with a headlight out, and drive faster than the posted speed limit too (also all "victimless crimes"). The NFL is out of line testing for pot, as it shouldn't be any of its business if some players indulge every once in a while on their free time. The players in the league are essentially owned by the NFL when it is allowed to mandate policies of this nature that it imposes regardless of whether or not the player is "at work" or not and by doing so helps to perpetuate the popular misconceptions about pot use as well.

My opinion of the league will have reached an all-time low if it fails to act on the Michael Vick case with AT LEAST as much emphasis as it does the pot smokers.. Lets weigh the evilness between smoking a dube every once in a while and the long-term infliction of physical and psychological cruelty on intelligent living beings (also illegal, I might add).

:D

The NBA would cease to exist if they tested for Josh Gordon.

"Call me a "Ricky apologist", but I always thought Ricky just marched to the beat of a different drummer"

I understand that perspective, but Ricky has always been an irresponsible dink. How many different women has he knocked up? 3 or 4 I believe. I remember reading that he claimed that he didn't have sex with one of the women:

"Now it’s being reported that Ricky Williams has been slapped with a paternity suit. Williams did his best Bill Clinton impression and claimed that he didn’t have sex with this woman, only to later admit to being the father of her 14-month old child. "

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=856

Course lets not forget the way that he bailed on his team during the preseason a few years ago either. He's never going to learn until its much too late (which, by now, it is).

Edited by Crazysight