[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacman to Sue NFL

spain

Saturday, 05/12/07

Pacman's lawyers hint at suing NFL

If appeal denied, Titans cornerback has legal option

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Pacman Jones was in New York on Friday for Round 2 with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, hoping to get his one-year suspension reduced as part of an appeal process.

If the Titans cornerback isn't satisfied with Goodell's decision, however, there's a chance Jones and his attorneys could take things a step further by filing a federal lawsuit against the NFL.

Officials from the NFL weren't available for comment after Friday's afternoon meeting. Jones' attorneys, Manny Arora and Mark Trigg of Atlanta, declined comment.

A decision from the NFL is expected at some point next week.

In Jones' appeal letter to the NFL, however, his attorneys made it clear a lawsuit is a possibility if the suspension is not reduced. Goodell suspended Jones on April 10 for engaging in conduct detrimental to the league on numerous occasions, although he left open the possibility of Jones being reinstated after 10 games if he follows specific conditions.

"Mr. Jones respectfully does not concede that the Commissioner's resolution of the appeal will constitute full, final and complete disposition of the dispute,'' according to the document, which is available on tennessean.com. "Mr. Jones expressly reserves and does not waive any and all other legal remedies which may be available to him.''

On Friday, two members of the NFL Players' Association staff counsel —

Arthur McAfee and Tom DePaso — also traveled to New York and attended the meeting. So far, however, the union has not taken an active role in the appeal process.

Most observers believe the chances of Goodell reducing the suspension aren't good. Under the collective bargaining agreement, the NFLPA agreed Goodell would handle any appeals under the Personal Conduct Policy, so Jones' only other option would be through the court system.

"It is in the CBA, and we negotiated it,'' Carl Francis, director of communications for the NFLPA, said. "So obviously we are going to stand by it. That's what it is.

''What happens (through the appeal), I don't even want to go there. This is unprecedented, so I have no clue.''

Suspension reduced?

In handing down the year-long suspension, Goodell said Jones could get it reduced if he's not convicted in pending cases in Las Vegas and Georgia, and if he complied with other conditions of the suspension.

But there were indications Friday that Jones already was struggling with the conditions for reinstatement, which include him cooperating with required counseling, education and treatment assigned under league or court-ordered programs.

ESPN, citing unnamed sources, reported Jones already has missed a scheduled counseling session.

In a separate incident, Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron confirmed Jones was issued a citation at 12:45 a.m. Monday for speeding and driving without his license, which was reported to the NFL.

Jones was pulled over on Interstate 65 near the Wedgewood exit for traveling at a speed captured by radar at 79 mph in a 55 mph zone in his 2004 Cadillac XLR.

Even before news leaked out about Jones' citation for speeding, Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck blamed the media for adding to his teammate's problems. Jones has been arrested five times since being drafted by the Titans in 2005, and been questioned by police on at least five other occasions.

"I try and keep him optimistic in life, but the media makes it worse,'' Bulluck said. "It is already a bad situation but everything people see, it gets enhanced. At the end of the day all I can do is be a friend and let him know there can be worse things to happen in life.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...RTS01/705120363

Just got caught speeding too. :D

It's not so much the speeding that's a terrible issue.

It's the time he was caught speeding (close to 1:00 AM).

During his previous meeting with Goodell, he'd told the Commish that one part of cleaning up his act would have a self imposed curfew of midnight.

He has the right to do whatever he wants, but i just don't see how suing the NFL would be a smart move. Some people just don't get it.
\

Sure he gets it, if there was no NFL, he would still be a multi-millionaire........doing something

Even before news leaked out about Jones' citation for speeding, Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck blamed the media for adding to his teammate's problems. Jones has been arrested five times since being drafted by the Titans in 2005, and been questioned by police on at least five other occasions.

"I try and keep him optimistic in life, but the media makes it worse,'' Bulluck said. "It is already a bad situation but everything people see, it gets enhanced. At the end of the day all I can do is be a friend and let him know there can be worse things to happen in life.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...RTS01/705120363

Maybe if this punk would stay out of trouble the media would have no where to go with his stories...except that he's cleaned his act up. Oh, I bet they'd love the media coverage then, RIGHT?

Sure Bulluck...blame the media. Blame everyone except the punk that puts himself in these situations. By deflecting even SOME of the blame away from him, he's more apt to continue along his punkish ways.

Wanna be a friend? Go to him and tell him he's a punk, a thug, a criminal, a waste of life POS. Let him hear it from a friend and see if it helps to change him.

Maybe if this punk would stay out of trouble the media would have no where to go with his stories...except that he's cleaned his act up. Oh, I bet they'd love the media coverage then. By deflecting even SOME of the blame away from him, he's more apt to continue along his punkish ways.

Wanna be a friend? Go to him and tell him he's a punk, a thug, a criminal, a waste of life POS. Let him hear it from a friend and see if it helps to change him.

Indeed. If Jones had any sense of personal responsibility, he'd accept the consequence of his own illegal and innappropriate actions, honor his promise to the commissioner of a self-imposed curfew, and begin to respect the laws of our country and the rules of his team. :D

But no -- "Pacman" is nothing more than "Punkman" ... so he whines about being a victim, continues to behave like a thug, and looks to sue his own league for holding him accountable to the standard his own union helped create. Bah. He's a TOad.

The statement above...and the comments in it...constitutes a threat. An empty threat. They think that by threatening the NFL with a law suit if the NFL doesn't do what they want holds some juice. Instead this is going to backfire if the NFL has any sort of balls at all. Reduce the suspension or else. Right. He has placed the NFL between a rock and a hard place.

Goodall and his whole tenure as the NFL Commissioner boils down to what he does in this situation. If he upholds the full suspension and it's parameters everyone will know not to take him to task. If he folds... he might as well quit now.

My take... Jones should have retained himself a real lawyer instead of a shyster with shyster moves. The NFL doesn't take kindly to threats.

The statement above...and the comments in it...constitutes a threat. An empty threat. They think that by threatening the NFL with a law suit if the NFL doesn't do what they want holds some juice. Instead this is going to backfire if the NFL has any sort of balls at all. Reduce the suspension or else. Right. He has placed the NFL between a rock and a hard place.

Goodall and his whole tenure as the NFL Commissioner boils down to what he does in this situation. If he upholds the full suspension and it's parameters everyone will know not to take him to task. If he folds... he might as well quit now.

My take... Jones should have retained himself a real lawyer instead of a shyster with shyster moves. The NFL doesn't take kindly to threats.

Exactly correct! The NFL's response now should be... "Since we're going to get sued anyway, we might as well leave the suspension as is, and wait for the scary threatening lawsuit to determine if the suspension should be reduced or lifted."

:D Well said!

Spot on. Pacman is getting the same crappy advice he's always gotten. Goodell knows full well he can't afford to cave in here and why would he since he has the (at least tacit) support of the NFLPA?

Not to take Pacman's side on things, but the NFL is technically taking his salary, and his ability to earn his salary, somewhat arbitrarily is it not? :D

Pacman is a member of a union that agreed to a contract, however. I'm pretty sure Goodell wouldn't have handed down the punishment without some heavyweight legal advice first.

Not to take Pacman's side on things, but the NFL is technically taking his salary, and his ability to earn his salary, somewhat arbitrarily is it not? :D
How is that any different then my company firing me if I was arrested? Or figuring out that after 5 arrests that I no longer could be trusted and letting me go. I agree that they are taking his salary, but as Ursa Majoris said, Pacman does fall under the CBA. Since it's the commissioner's ultimate decision and I can't find any where that he has limitations as to how long he can impose a suspension, I don't see what the basis of his appeal would be.

Good luck with that lawsuit, Ms. Pacman.

I'm sure the NFL doesn't know any lawyers and were caught completely unaware by someone like you & your lawyer challenging them. Shoot, the mere threat of a lawsuit will probably make them cave in & change the decision to banish you for a period.

Not when you consider his actions harm the reputation of the league as a whole, thereby scaring away the advertisers, networks, and fans that run the economic engine of the NFL...and could affect the ability of others in the league to earn.

what the hell country is this? he still hasn't been convicted of anything. i don't doubt that he will be and i'm not saying he's anything but a thug and a moron, but it's a shady precedent to suspend a guy and take away his salary before he gets his day in court.

what the hell country is this? he still hasn't been convicted of anything. i don't doubt that he will be and i'm not saying he's anything but a thug and a moron, but it's a shady precedent to suspend a guy and take away his salary before he gets his day in court.

No, it's not. It's the privledge of a privately owned firm to determine what standards of conduct its employees must maintain to continue their employment - in this case as agreed upon with the NFLPA through the CBA.

This is the United States, and that's the way private industry operates here in accordance with the law.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The NFL's enforcement of it's "detrimental conduct" rule has ample precedent and, IIRC, Gene Upshaw's personal approval in the cases of Pacman and Henry. Pacman's doesn't have much of a case, IMO.

It's not so much the speeding that's a terrible issue.

It's the time he was caught speeding (close to 1:00 AM).

During his previous meeting with Goodell, he'd told the Commish that one part of cleaning up his act would have a self imposed curfew of midnight.

his self imposed curfew was midnight pacific so at 1:00AM Eastern he was fine.

Quit getting on him for not doing anything wrong. This guy has basically been a saint since his last bout with trouble.

his self imposed curfew was midnight pacific so at 1:00AM Eastern he was fine.

Quit getting on him for not doing anything wrong. This guy has basically been a saint since his last bout with trouble.

:D:D

So, he sets a curfew of midnight but it's PST. Pretty handy when you spend your time hanging out within sniffing distance of the Atlantic.

:D:D

So, he sets a curfew of midnight but it's PST. Pretty handy when you spend your time hanging out within sniffing distance of the Atlantic.

He is not bright enough to come up with that idea. i don't even think pacman can spell PST?? Is PST in the ebonics Webster dictionary?