[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My first draft of the year II

DMD

DMD,

Why Norwood as your 3rd RB instead of a WR? What are your thoughts on Norwood this year (obviously you like him more than Dunn, but what else)?

Thanks!

I knew that these guys would be RB happy and there would be little left for RBs after the 4th round since everyone will have at least 2 RBs then if not three. So despite there being only 2 RB scores used per week, supply and demand meant I needed to take one there. RBs score second only to QBs in this scoring and they offer the most consistent scores of any position. You can win this league with good QB and RB scores and only average WR scores. You cannot win it with just great scores from WR.

I would have liked to take a WR in the 4th (Andre Johnson, Burress, Walker...) but had I done that, in the 5th my RB would have been Fred or Chester Taylor and much less upside on that pick in a position that scores well.

When I drafted Norwood, the choices that I had were him, Ahman Green and partial RBs like Dunn, F Taylor, C Taylor, etc. I thought that Norwood very clearly to me had the best chance to step up and surprise. I took him around the same spot that I was getting Frank Gore last year. Petrino will want to run and Norwood is in a really good spot to play well. I figure that the worst I will get from him is some decent numbers each week if he shares with Dunn and the upside is that he could really turn in some big numbers if he can run as well as a primary back as he did last year as a complementary back. He's better suited for the job in most every way over Dunn and the fact that ATL did not bother with getting a rookie or FA back this spring speaks something to the direction that ATL has this year. Dunn has done well the last couple of years in the zone blocking scheme that ATL had but installing a power running game plays much better into Norwood who is somewhat bigger and better at north/south than Dunn. He's fast as well.

If this was a standard league and not best ball/all play, I would have likely started out RB-WR-RB-WR.

The guys that surprised me the most (though in fairness early May drafts are pretty hard to prepare for comprehensively)

2.03 Clinton Portis (Betts was way too successful and paid a lot for this year)

Where did Betts go then, if I might ask?