[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What did you drink last week?

Monday:

Smokey Martini

2006 Dobbs Pinot Gris: Typical 06 Oregon Pinot. Full of fruit. Not too crisp. Nothing to write home about.

2005 Owen Roe Parting Glass: I'm not a big fan of dessert wine (including port) but I do like this one. Its pretty crisp and the sweetness doesn't stay on your tongue forever. Nice way to finish dinner.

Tuesday:

Sales Meeting turned into a night of shooting pool. Mac & Jacks African Amber all night long.

Wednesday:

Standard Wednesday night drinking group but it was a fairly light night.

2005 Westrey Shea: This is a good QPR pinot (and again, it says Shea on it so it's good). Nice balance of fruit and earth. A little olive on the nose. It did need a little time but since it was the first bottle, it didn't get it.

2004 Seven Hills CS: Decent but nothing outstanding. It'd be a fine wine to pick up a drink. Nothing worth cellaring but drinkable.

2004 Fidelitas CS: After the Seven Hills, I wanted something a little bolder and Fidelitas is pretty reliable when you want a big Washington cab. A lot of tannins up front but they mellowed out after about 45 minutes.

Thursday:

Poker Night: Normally, I drink very little if at all when I'm playing poker but this time we had some new people and we're playing low stakes Limit games. I couldn't drink enough. This was another beer night...It was supposed to be all Oregon Microbrews and there were plenty but a couple trappist ales made it as well. I'd give highlights if I could remember. There were some really good beers though and since it was a bunch of wine guys, there was plenty of wine open as well. I didn't have any.

Friday:

One of the regulars from our Wednesday night wine group quit her job and Friday was her last day. Seemed like a good enough reason to drink again.

2004 Cristom Jessie: This is a standout 04 Pinot. Well balanced (after awhile in the decanter). Plenty of leather / tobacco type flavors. There was a wood present as well....softer than oak but I couldn't place it.

2005 Westrey (not the Shea): And not as good as the Shea. But still a drinkable QPR wine. I can't remember the vineyard though.

From here, a bunch more people showed up and bottles of all types were hitting the tables.

2006 Elk Cove Pinot Gris. The 05 was a top 100 wine. The 06 is different but just as good. There is more fruit and quite a bit lighter. It's a great wine to open when the weather is warm and you can sit outside.

1999 Argyle Knudsen Vineyard Sparkling: The girl who quit and my wife drink this quite often and we have to stop everytime we're in the area. I'm sure its fine...I just can't get into sparkling wines enough to enjoy them or assess their parts.

2 bottles of Washington Cab: One was not good. I think it was 5 Hands (Not 14 Hands which typically is pretty good) or something like that. Then we had a L'Ecole Cab that was better but still not great. I like a few of the blends that L'Ecole puts out but their Cab doesn't usually do it.

Saturday:

Steak and Cab night....thats a whole other post.

Sunday: Turned down wine with dinner. Liver thanked me.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

healthy all week. Then had a nice weekend of Nigori Sake on ice to battle the heat. I am a bit of a Sake head of late, trying a bunch of different unfiltered.

If you're ever to San Fran and like sushi, go to a place called Blowfish. They've got a Sake list & sake sommelier(?) that is more extensive than most top wine lists. I had no idea what I was looking at but thanks to the advice, got a couple outstanding bottles that worked with dinner.

I lost count after noon on Monday.

I tried to write things down so I could do this thread but obviously, writing down took a backseat to drinking at times.

Saturday night consisted of 12 bottles between 6 people. The highlight of the night was definitely the 02 Lewis Cab. I made sure to write down notes for most....I'll post them later.

Monday - exceptionally hung over from too much Patron Resposado the day before. Could only manage several Dogfish Head 60 minute IPAs.

Tuesday - Several Knob Creek's.

Wednesday - Several more Knob Creek's.

Thurdsay - A couple of more Knob Creek's washed down with several Sam Adams and a 60 Minute

Friday - 2 bottles of Moet & Chandon White Star. I presented my wife of 18 years with a new wedding band for the hell of it and wanted to drink something special.

Saturday - Summer is here that means it G&T season. Bombay Saphire & tonics all day long.

Sunday - Finished off the first bottle and put a special dent in the second bottle of Saphire. Also had a bottle of Kendal Jackson Sauvignon Blanc with dinner. For some reason when I make steamed mussels I love using that wine for it and of course it also compliments well with the dinner.

If you're ever to San Fran and like sushi, go to a place called Blowfish. They've got a Sake list & sake sommelier(?) that is more extensive than most top wine lists. I had no idea what I was looking at but thanks to the advice, got a couple outstanding bottles that worked with dinner.

Yea- I was actually in SF for work from Oct-Jan, and I hit quite a few sushi places, missed Blowfish though. There is also a sake factory in Berkely- makes alot of the standard sake filtered/unfiltered you get in restaurants- very cool tour, and you can come out of there with a nice variety.

I didn't exactly keep track of what, where and when, but the last week included the following:

Grolsch

Home brewed IPA

Home made hard cider

Busch

Coors light

Yuengling lager

Miller light

Saranac IPA

Guiness

15 year Glenfiddich

Bloody Marys

Jameson

Blackberry brandy

Smoking Loon chardonnay

some other wine that I don't exactly care to recall.

Thank god that I only drink on Saturdays.

Yea- I was actually in SF for work from Oct-Jan, and I hit quite a few sushi places, missed Blowfish though. There is also a sake factory in Berkely- makes alot of the standard sake filtered/unfiltered you get in restaurants- very cool tour, and you can come out of there with a nice variety.

I prepared a sake luncheon on Friday for a distributor that was bringing in a line of premium sakes from Nigata Japan. Really amazing stuff. One thing that these importers are trying to establish is that it is a versatile drink that needn't be paired just with sushi or Asian food in general. Some top restaurants like Per Se, etc. are starting to carry them along side their wines.

How truly premium sake is made is quite extraordinary and I'd be happy to write a sake primer for those interested.

At any rate, what did I drink this last week? I probably tasted about 40 wines but I forget most...

Monday I basically recovered from some serious drinking on Sunday.

Tuesday one of my distributors came by with a rep from Delectus of Napa. For starters, she was indeed Delectus! OMFG! Chick looked like a young Rebbeca Romijn and was about 5'10" in this skin tight black dress. The wines, were also great, though they're gonna need to have a hottie like that take them around if they expect anyone to shell out $46 wholesale for a Petite Sirah.

Also tasted with the wine maker from Domaine Fournier. If you like Sancerre, you need to check this guy out. His Grande Cuvee is freaking awesome. We've had it on the list since we opened and it is the main go-to mid priced white we have because absolutely everyone loves it.

On Wednesday we hosted a lunch for Vineyard Brands, so tasted a bunch of Burgs from Girardin. That dude gets it in a big way. For starters, he sources from a lot of lesser known villages in Burgundy so a lot of his stuff is quite affordable. His reds from Santenay come to mind. Also, he builds his wines for the US market. So, while they certainly taste like Burgundy rather than CA juice, they have a ripeness and polish that can often be lacking from Burg.

I was sent home with some samples that night as well but only one was very good. Meyer Fonne Pinot Blanc. The others, a Chablis and a declassified White Burg were very unremarkable.

Friday I tasted all those sakes I mentioned above. I've always liked the producer and was particularly interested with the only flavored one he brought. It was a plum sake but different than any I'd ever had. Reminded me of sauterne.

The rest of the weekend I was working my ass of for graduation weekend so both nights I didn't even make it through my first beer at home before I feel asleep on the couch.

I prepared a sake luncheon on Friday for a distributor that was bringing in a line of premium sakes from Nigata Japan. Really amazing stuff. One thing that these importers are trying to establish is that it is a versatile drink that needn't be paired just with sushi or Asian food in general. Some top restaurants like Per Se, etc. are starting to carry them along side their wines.

How truly premium sake is made is quite extraordinary and I'd be happy to write a sake primer for those interested.

At any rate, what did I drink this last week? I probably tasted about 40 wines but I forget most...

Monday I basically recovered from some serious drinking on Sunday.

Tuesday one of my distributors came by with a rep from Delectus of Napa. For starters, she was indeed Delectus! OMFG! Chick looked like a young Rebbeca Romijn and was about 5'10" in this skin tight black dress. The wines, were also great, though they're gonna need to have a hottie like that take them around if they expect anyone to shell out $46 wholesale for a Petite Sirah.

Also tasted with the wine maker from Domaine Fournier. If you like Sancerre, you need to check this guy out. His Grande Cuvee is freaking awesome. We've had it on the list since we opened and it is the main go-to mid priced white we have because absolutely everyone loves it.

On Wednesday we hosted a lunch for Vineyard Brands, so tasted a bunch of Burgs from Girardin. That dude gets it in a big way. For starters, he sources from a lot of lesser known villages in Burgundy so a lot of his stuff is quite affordable. His reds from Santenay come to mind. Also, he builds his wines for the US market. So, while they certainly taste like Burgundy rather than CA juice, they have a ripeness and polish that can often be lacking from Burg.

I was sent home with some samples that night as well but only one was very good. Meyer Fonne Pinot Blanc. The others, a Chablis and a declassified White Burg were very unremarkable.

Friday I tasted all those sakes I mentioned above. I've always liked the producer and was particularly interested with the only flavored one he brought. It was a plum sake but different than any I'd ever had. Reminded me of sauterne.

The rest of the weekend I was working my ass of for graduation weekend so both nights I didn't even make it through my first beer at home before I feel asleep on the couch.

Marketing plan foiled again!! They were convinced you'd buy the wine regardless of the price because of the chick! LOL at the tone of the other comments, based on the product. Good stuff.

Grolsch - with the ceramic top?

Yuengling lager - :drool: I :heart: yeungling.

I'm on a blended red kick lately. I've enjoyed a few Australian blended reds and Toasted Head Red Table wine was good (California I think) . Toasted Head Red

I think I got it for $10 and even my wife loved it. My problem is that I like reds and she likes whites. I'm trying to get her to like the red wines by starting out with those that aren't so "harsh" on her palate. The blended wines are accomplishing that, so far.

This weekend she was finishing an antibiotic, so I had to drink all of it myself.

Anyone have a take on the blended red wines or maybe a few suggestions?

I think the Zinfandels from the Lodi region of CA are a good place to start. They tend to be very fruit forward and not extravagantly priced. The one from Talus is around $7 a bottle and is quite reasonable. Double that and you can get the 7 Deadly Zins, a blend from that region that is quite excellent. None of the wines from that region tend to have the heavy tannins or oak that seem to accompany other CA reds.

I'm on a blended red kick lately. I've enjoyed a few Australian blended reds and Toasted Head Red Table wine was good (California I think) . Toasted Head Red

I think I got it for $10 and even my wife loved it. My problem is that I like reds and she likes whites. I'm trying to get her to like the red wines by starting out with those that aren't so "harsh" on her palate. The blended wines are accomplishing that, so far.

This weekend she was finishing an antibiotic, so I had to drink all of it myself.

Yes, grolsch with the ceramic top. I re-use the bottles for the cider. I have wine corkers and bottle cappers, but they're a pain. I now keg the beer, and use the swing top bottles for anything that I want to bottle.

Yes, grolsch with the ceramic top. I re-use the bottles for the cider. I have wine corkers and bottle cappers, but they're a pain. I now keg the beer, and use the swing top bottles for anything that I want to bottle.

Something you might not know. Champagne bottles accept bottle caps because they cap them that way during the secondary fermentation that creates the bubbles. They make great gift size bottles for home brew.

Forgive me if you already knew this.

As for Gonkis's red blend. One of the classic red blends is that of the southern Rhone and is replicated throughout the world. The primary grape in the blend in Grenache (which is also a very easy drinking grape on it's own). Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault and a host of other random grapes are often used but you'll want one that is very Grenache driven given your intention. Look for Garnacha (the spanish version) they're always super fruity and easy drinking as well as quite easy on the wallet.

The Zin blend idea is also great and often quite cheap.

While I agree that CA Pinot fits that profile, it's a pretty bad value now. The nice tasty pinot that used to cost $10 now costs $15 or more and so on up the ladder.

While I agree that CA Pinot fits that profile, it's a pretty bad value now. The nice tasty pinot that used to cost $10 now costs $15 or more and so on up the ladder.

I've noticed that a lot lately with most wines. I usually come here to find the values now. :D

I've noticed that a lot lately with most wines. I usually come here to find the values now. :D

Head south my man.

Here's a perfect example:

Remember when I was going on and on about the Conn Valley Prologue and the stupid price I was getting? Crazy value right? Well, we'd been pouring the Cousino Macul Finnis Terre (Bdx blend from Chile) by the glass before that and I had my bartender blind taste me on them. Cousino Macul is about $3 less wholesale and that's not on the same screaming deal that the Prologue technically is.

First off, they were basically dead ringers. It took me a while before I could find any difference at all. Eventually, I had to pick one as my favorite and decided that the polish on one was just a bit nicer than the other. Of course, it was the Cousino Macul. Both bottles had been opened within the hour, so there shouldn't be a marked difference there.

I taste so much delicious Malbec from Argentina these days and none of it costs more than $15 wholesale. Most is freaking lovely and hits me right around $5. Literally, I average about 3-4 new ones each week.

Of course, I'm not really in the market for cheap every day wines because my everyday wines are free samples. All I buy are cherries for the collection because of this. Of course, that excludes the Spanish number I spoke of the other day. I freaking gargle with that stuff.