[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What did you drink last week?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just back from a weekend in Vegas, consumed the following in decent numbers in some form or another....

Corona, bud light

Patron

Don Julio

Stoli, Kettle 1, Grey Goose, and on down the line...........

Red Bull - always a must at some point in the weekend

champagne- wedding, no idea what kind

Free Budwiser products all week fortified with Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka. Monday I began workiing my way through a 17 year old Eagle Rare Bourbon.

Last night, we were invited for dinner at friends' house. Main course was cedar planked Copper River Sockeye, my absolute favorite salmon. This was a last minute thing so I didn't have time to get to my wine locker and still chill a white. Luckily Pinot Noir is an amazing match for salmon, especially salmon with the high levels of Omega 3s that the Copper River fish have.

We started with a 2001 Westrey Shea: My normal rule is "If it says Shea on the bottle, it has to be good". It was odd to see a bottle of 2001 wine on the shelf so I'm guessing a distributor found a few cases tucked in the back of some warehouse. This wine was completely disjointed with too much acid up front and then nothing. We're guessing this bottle was probably cooked....not good. Even the color was off: almost like a rust/brown.

Next up was a 2002 Archery Summit Arcus Estate. The Arcus is typically my favorite wine from Archery Summit and this proved to be a well balanced wine full of dark cherry and blackberry. The oak and tannins had settled down from the last bottle I had a year ago and the long finish had just a hint of some floral. Wasn't as stand out as some of the other intages though. I'd put it around an 89.

Had to give Shea grapes another try, this time in the form of a 2004 JK Carriere Shea. This winemaker is quickly becoming a favorite in the valley and this provided a good example. Plenty of acid up front....the wine should hold up for a few years. Beyond that good dark fruits start out big and just gradually taper throughout the finish. Very nice wine.

Not done yet: 2004 Siltstone Pinot - another solid wine to finish the night. It seemed to be a bit lighter with fruits more on the citrus side....but my tasting probably wasn't real good at this point.

We finished the night with a late harvest riesling from Terra Blanca. I really don't like dessert wine. I had a sip and then went looking for more Pinot...

Last night, we were invited for dinner at friends' house. Main course was cedar planked Copper River Sockeye, my absolute favorite salmon. This was a last minute thing so I didn't have time to get to my wine locker and still chill a white. Luckily Pinot Noir is an amazing match for salmon, especially salmon with the high levels of Omega 3s that the Copper River fish have.

We started with a 2001 Westrey Shea: My normal rule is "If it says Shea on the bottle, it has to be good". It was odd to see a bottle of 2001 wine on the shelf so I'm guessing a distributor found a few cases tucked in the back of some warehouse. This wine was completely disjointed with too much acid up front and then nothing. We're guessing this bottle was probably cooked....not good. Even the color was off: almost like a rust/brown.

Next up was a 2002 Archery Summit Arcus Estate. The Arcus is typically my favorite wine from Archery Summit and this proved to be a well balanced wine full of dark cherry and blackberry. The oak and tannins had settled down from the last bottle I had a year ago and the long finish had just a hint of some floral. Wasn't as stand out as some of the other intages though. I'd put it around an 89.

Had to give Shea grapes another try, this time in the form of a 2004 JK Carriere Shea. This winemaker is quickly becoming a favorite in the valley and this provided a good example. Plenty of acid up front....the wine should hold up for a few years. Beyond that good dark fruits start out big and just gradually taper throughout the finish. Very nice wine.

Not done yet: 2004 Siltstone Pinot - another solid wine to finish the night. It seemed to be a bit lighter with fruits more on the citrus side....but my tasting probably wasn't real good at this point.

We finished the night with a late harvest riesling from Terra Blanca. I really don't like dessert wine. I had a sip and then went looking for more Pinot...

I really have to give you props for being such a supporter of your local juice. It's a great way to go. Of course, it's a whole lot easier to take that approach when you live in the NW as opposed to NC. :D

I really have to give you props for being such a supporter of your local juice. It's a great way to go. Of course, it's a whole lot easier to take that approach when you live in the NW as opposed to NC. :D

Yeah no kidding, Missouri is wine average at best. :D

Relaxing after a hard day at work. I had 7 aggressive dog cases today. It's time to chill out.

I'm on my third, soon to be fourth, Kona Brewing Co. beers that I got as a 24 pack at Costco. There's 12 Lagers and 12 Pale Ales. They are quite good. The Pale Ale reminds me of our local Deschutes Brewery Pale Ale.

Forgot it was Sock-eye season. I need to get to Wild Oats and see if they have some fresh.

We just picked up a mini-keg of a great Michigan beer/summer ale: Bells Oberon.

It's chillin' in the fridge for tomorrow to be paired with some local baby-backs :D

I just picked up their IPA 'Two Hearted Ale" for my beer list at the restaurant. The Oberon is nice too.

I've been on a margarit/tequila kick this last week. I had to stoop to making them with Cuervo Gold as I ran out of 1800. Shots of Patron Resposado helped liven things up when the mixed drink gets too sweet.

Its just so easy...and not only limited to wine but beer, food, whatever. The NW has a lot to offer the palate. Beyond that, I'm still scared of French wines. It started as being easier to stick to the local stuff because visiting, talking to winemakers, etc just made it a lot easier to learn this piece of the wine world. Now, I just tend to stick to what I know. Really, only in the past couple years have I even added much in the way of California wines. I always had a few bottles but now that portion of my cellar is growing as well. From the West Coast, I'm going to have to jump an ocean. Currently, I have no doubt that I have more Italian wines in my cellar than French wines with the French wines being almost completely limited to Burgundies. There's a lot of learning to do there.

I do have a CO2 system for dispensing beer. It's amazing what you can do with old refrigerators. :D however, I don't like the forced carbonation of CO2. I prefer the carbonation that you get when you use dried malt extract and let the yeast break it down for natural carbonation. Finer bubbles. I've never had a problem with the level of carbonation this way either. Naturally carbonate it and use the CO2 to dispense it and keep it stable.

I use forced CO2 for carbonation simply because it is one less minor pain in the ass. Not that boiling up DME is tough.

Its just so easy...and not only limited to wine but beer, food, whatever. The NW has a lot to offer the palate. Beyond that, I'm still scared of French wines. It started as being easier to stick to the local stuff because visiting, talking to winemakers, etc just made it a lot easier to learn this piece of the wine world. Now, I just tend to stick to what I know. Really, only in the past couple years have I even added much in the way of California wines. I always had a few bottles but now that portion of my cellar is growing as well. From the West Coast, I'm going to have to jump an ocean. Currently, I have no doubt that I have more Italian wines in my cellar than French wines with the French wines being almost completely limited to Burgundies. There's a lot of learning to do there.

Curious that you're scared of French wines and yet almost exclusively cellar the scariest region in France (perhaps the world). Burgundy is likely the highest risk/reward wine in the entire world. The southern rhone, on the other hand is pretty safe stuff by comparison.

I love Loire whites, Rhone reds, of course Burgundy (but that is certainly love/hate since I've been burned by them more than all other wine regions combined). Alsace is cool but a bit big for my taste. Champagne is a fixture. Curiously, the region I have the biggest block with is Bordeaux. When I came up, I sort of avoided it because I was looking for the more counter-cultural stuff. Now I've managed to memorize the blends and laws of nearly every appelation but Bordeaux. I mean, I know the 5 main grapes and all but couldn't tell you off the top of my head which region is known predominantly which blends, etc.

Curious that you're scared of French wines and yet almost exclusively cellar the scariest region in France (perhaps the world). Burgundy is likely the highest risk/reward wine in the entire world. The southern rhone, on the other hand is pretty safe stuff by comparison.

I love Loire whites, Rhone reds, of course Burgundy (but that is certainly love/hate since I've been burned by them more than all other wine regions combined). Alsace is cool but a bit big for my taste. Champagne is a fixture. Curiously, the region I have the biggest block with is Bordeaux. When I came up, I sort of avoided it because I was looking for the more counter-cultural stuff. Now I've managed to memorize the blends and laws of nearly every appelation but Bordeaux. I mean, I know the 5 main grapes and all but couldn't tell you off the top of my head which region is known predominantly which blends, etc.

IMO, you just can't learn Pinot without drinking Burgundy. For the most part, Oregon Pinots have some characteristics that are different from the Burgundies. But every now and then, you'll come across an Oregon Pinot maker that is bottling some old world style Pinots. While certainly fickle, the Burgundies were more approachable for me simply because I had something to immediately compare them to.

IMO, you just can't learn Pinot without drinking Burgundy. For the most part, Oregon Pinots have some characteristics that are different from the Burgundies. But every now and then, you'll come across an Oregon Pinot maker that is bottling some old world style Pinots. While certainly fickle, the Burgundies were more approachable for me simply because I had something to immediately compare them to.

I'm not arguing this at all. Frankly, once you can find an importer that you trust, it's really not as hit and miss. Obviously, nobody can truly call themselves a Pinot fan without drinking the juice from the motherland. IMO, the Oregon juice is the closest you're gonna find to most Burgundy. Much closer, for instance, than CA pinot. Not that there's anything wrong with the big juicy style made down there. It's just a different animal.