[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Walter Thomas cut

polksalet

“He had a brief career,” is how Saints head coach Sean Payton referred to the 6-4, 375 pound mammoth Walt Thomas a day after cutting him early into the team’s first practice on Saturday.

Well, that didn't take long. Too bad. I was rooting for him after reading that article from the New York Times.

“From a conditioning standpoint, he had a long way to go. He was 12-13 minutes into practice and struggled,” said Payton. “He went into the training room to get some treatment, and we had just gotten into the second or third period of practice. That’s basically where it was at.”

The NFL is not a hobby.

I posted this yesterday in the rookie free agent thread, but I do have a bit more to add. Apparently coach Payton was pretty hard on them from the start. He wanted to impress upon them the importance of conditioning & being ready for camp which is outdoors in the Mississippi Summer heat. From what I heard on the radio Payton also didn't like the baggage Thomas came with & had to be convinced to even bring him into camp. He said he'd give him a shot & he failed miserably.

BTW, I'm hoping sometime today...possibly tomorrow I can work up a Saints mini-camp report. I can already tell you though it's not very impressive. "No super-sleepers coming out of this group" were the words used by WWL analysts last night. However, they did add that even Colston had a horrible mini-camp last year & was within a thread of being cut.