[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First Year RB Starters

Danny Zuko

I have noticed that there are tons of RB, some rookies, some vets, starting for a (new) team for the first time. I think this is definitely worth noting as some like Edge and Lamont Jordan did not meet up tp their potential.

Jacobs, Peterson, Lynch, Benson, Lewis, McGahee, Jones, Henry, Maroney, Addai... Damn that is a long list. And I am sure I am forgetting some people. Am I the only one nervous drafting one of these players?

Never nervous, more extremely excited about all the different options at the positions. I can't wait for my fantasy drafts!!! :D

I have noticed that there are tons of RB, some rookies, some vets, starting for a (new) team for the first time. I think this is definitely worth noting as some like Edge and Lamont Jordan did not meet up tp their potential.

Jacobs, Peterson, Lynch, Benson, Lewis, McGahee, Jones, Henry, Maroney, Addai... Damn that is a long list. And I am sure I am forgetting some people. Am I the only one nervous drafting one of these players?

Depends on which one you're talking about drafting.

Jacobs - I don't believe in this guy AT ALL. I'd be willing to make a small wager that Droughns beats him out.

Peterson - probably not starting, will split time with Chester Taylor

Lynch - guy looks like he could be VERY GOOD, and will get the bulk of the work as well

Benson - shouldn't be much of an issue taking over the lead back role in Chi, though IIRC he's had problems avoiding dings

Lewis - stick a fork in him, he's done, no matter what team he's with

McGahee - I really like his situation this year

Jones, Henry - they've proven themselves and have relatively low mileage; solid picks

Maroney, Addai - both looked VERY good in RBBC situations last year; plenty of upside, and I don't see any reason to think either will struggle in terrific situations

Other guys - Morency in GB, D Rhodes in Oak, L White in Tenn, A Green in Hou

My understanding is that the Bills have a real touch schedule - especially against the run. I would stay away from Lynch more than ever. Rookie RBs tend to be overvalued. Bush was pretty good, but nowhere neat the 2nd pick a lot of chumps spent on him. Same with Peterson. I noticed everyone seems to be down on Ahman Green. Perhaps another year in the tank?

Add in 7 new HC and 15 new OC and rankings and projections are going slower this year. None of the new 7 HC's have changed their RBs. Every year has plenty of transition but this seems even higher than usual. Means more opportunities for players to dramatically rise and fall.

Jacobs - I don't believe in this guy AT ALL. I'd be willing to make a small wager that Droughns beats him out.

I don't think there's anyway Droughns starts over Jacobs. Every time Jacobs came into the game last year he looked hungry and absolutely pounded the ball through the defense, except for when he played Dallas. :D:D Droughns is like a poor man's Jacobs.

Add in 7 new HC and 15 new OC and rankings and projections are going slower this year. None of the new 7 HC's have changed their RBs. Every year has plenty of transition but this seems even higher than usual. Means more opportunities for players to dramatically rise and fall.

Which makes the fantasy season a whole hell of a lot more enjoyable, interesting and competitive!!

It makes it harder to prepare for as well. There are so many ?'s at RB I am even thinking about drafting a QB early *shutter*.

Unless your league really favors QB in the scoring system and I mean REALLY!! the answer is NO, NO, and Hell NO!!! Solidfy your RBs and WRs first always, as there are plenty of great options at QB that can be had in the mid to later rounds (5-7) at a great value. :D Newbs... you gotta teach 'em everything!! :D

Edited by irish

In another thread, you wrote this about Travis Henry: I also see Travis Henry exploding for a big year.

If that's the case, why would you be nervous about drafting him?

Dude, I am not psychic. I THINK he'll have a big year, but guys playing on a team for the first time are always a risk. I'd rather draft a "safe" solid RB like a Rudi Johnson but if the opportunity arrises I'll snag Henry too.

In another thread, you wrote this about Travis Henry: I also see Travis Henry exploding for a big year.

If that's the case, why would you be nervous about drafting him?

Unless your league really favors QB in the scoring system and I mean REALLY!! the answer is NO, NO, and Hell NO!!! Solidfy your RBs and WRs first always, as there are plenty of great options at QB that can be had in the mid to later rounds (5-7) at a great value. :D Newbs... you gotta teach 'em everything!! :D

I'd say one of the first rules of FF is not to adhere to too many rules.

With all of the "gambles" this year at RB, you can very solidly pick an RB, WR then QB in the 3rd, then come back around and find great 2nd and 3rd RB value in the later rounds as they slip.

Last year, McCallister fell far in most drafts - in GvE a 16 teamer I got him in the 5th round. I think there are at least one or two along those lines this year, and if I go RB-WR-QB I can end up with a McNabb or Palmer to go with a solid backfield. Droughns is one of thsoe guys - you can love Jacobs all you want but he's never gotten 20 crries in a game, much less 4 games in a month. Droughns has and I predict him replacing Tiki in carries (certainly not production), with a only a small bump as change of pace for Jacobs. Also, it's been noted that as Jacobs gets tired he gets stood up easily. Ladell Betts is another guy who bears watching, and he hasn't been moentioned yet.

I'd say one of the first rules of FF is not to adhere to too many rules.

With all of the "gambles" this year at RB, you can very solidly pick an RB, WR then QB in the 3rd, then come back around and find great 2nd and 3rd RB value in the later rounds as they slip.

Last year, McCallister fell far in most drafts - in GvE a 16 teamer I got him in the 5th round. I think there are at least one or two along those lines this year, and if I go RB-WR-QB I can end up with a McNabb or Palmer to go with a solid backfield. Droughns is one of thsoe guys - you can love Jacobs all you want but he's never gotten 20 crries in a game, much less 4 games in a month. Droughns has and I predict him replacing Tiki in carries (certainly not production), with a only a small bump as change of pace for Jacobs. Also, it's been noted that as Jacobs gets tired he gets stood up easily. Ladell Betts is another guy who bears watching, and he hasn't been moentioned yet.

You can have the QB in the 3rd round. I'll be the guy with 3 RBs, 3 WRs (possibly TE) before taking my QB. The fall off from the Top 5-7 QBs to the #10-15 QBs is not that great at all. But the fall off for RBs and WRs is. Plus RBs and WRs have a hell of a lot more trade value during the season if I happen to need a QB upgrade and doesn't work the other way around.

I can see going RB-RB-WR-WR-RB and then maybe QB or TE if one of the best ones fall. or RB-WR-RB-RB-WR- then QB. This strategy has worked well for me in the past.

But you do make a good point in FF you should never adhere to too many rules, rather leave yourself to draft freely. However, I would never take a QB in the 1st or maybe even 2nd round.

If P Manning is available late in the 2nd round, after the Top RBs go, he is a must pickup.

But you do make a good point in FF you should never adhere to too many rules, rather leave yourself to draft freely. However, I would never take a QB in the 1st or maybe even 2nd round.

You can have the QB in the 3rd round. I'll be the guy with 3 RBs, 3 WRs (possibly TE) before taking my QB.

Right - so you'll take a guy for your bench (assuming 2 RB starters) while I'll take a starter. I get McNabb who was scoring crazy last year, and you don't get Kitna who would have been a good sleeper pick in your scenario but he won't be a surprise this year. By the 7th round Manning, Palmer, Bulger are gone. So the REAL question becomes: does my stud QB points cover the difference between our 2nd RB's scoring?

I'll take my 2nd RB in the 4th round, and more starting WRs in the 5th and 6th. I go to the bench in the 7th round, and barring injury I have one down week: my 3rd RB filling in for my 1st round stud.

Like I wrote in my other thread, because QBs can make or break you, I think it can be a good idea to take one earlier IF they are a "sure thing." But the only QBs I trust are P Manning, Brady, and Palmer. If I can't get one of these three I will wait. The tricky part is determining how long I can wait before someone else nabs them.

I don't subscribe to the running back is key to winning fantasy titles theory. I like to draft Peyton in the first round if I don't have a top-3 or so pick (and I'm in a minority of one on this issue in this forum, I think). But if I did think that it was necessary to have 2 stud running backs drafted high, then using 3 picks on running backs isn't bad strategy. Guaranteed that one of those 3 will get injured or just plain suck. That means drafting 3 running backs will net 2 running backs in the end. Sometimes drafting 3 running backs in the first 3 rounds only nets one quality back.

Last year in my local, I held off and took the 12th QB, and then picked 3 straight: Plummer, Simms and another guy I cannot even remember at this point. It was a DISASTER, and I ended 5-9 with my worst overall point total in 10 years in that league.

2004 I grabbed Portis, [stud WR I cannot remember now] and Favre in the 3rd round. I went 10-4. I'm going back to that stratey this year in what I"m calling the BangBang Bang theory: a stud at every position (we're a nonTE league).

So, I speaks from experience.

Also while QBs seem to be hit and miss I don't think you want to wait too long to pick your QBs even if you are picking 3 in a row. Sims was supposed to be a terd anyways so I wouldn't even count him. I think if you jump on the QB at around 9 or 10 and THEN pick 3 of them, you should hit at least one solid option.

You're basing your theory on 2 experiences and saying you speak from experience?

That was one of my stories. I've been in this local for ten years and seen other teams suffer similar fates in the "We can wait on a QB" theory.

So the answer is YES.

How long have you been playing?

Edited by Pope Flick

Long enough to know that Simms, Plummer, and some dude you don't remember weren't the 12th, 13th, and 14th best quarterbacks last year.

Sure - after the season ended, but Simms looked good to go in Gruden's offense after training camp and Plummer appeared a capable backup for that. Neither was true, but that's why things change from year to year. All I needed was someone capable with a RB corps of Rudi/Portis and WRs Driver/AJ and Terry Glenn.

Nice dodge on the question too, boyo. :D:tup::D