[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best wines for about $10 or less

BeeR

It's just a german way of spelling wine, similar to whiskey and whisky.

To each is their own.

My German is a bit rusty (only a semester in college). Wouldn't the spelling be "Wein"?

Beer = "e" sound = Bier

Wine = "i" sound = Wein

:D

Stop all the whining. To each his own really. Heck I'm Port guy myself (Cockburn's Tawny Porto being one of my faves). Also like Meads a lot. If a so called whine eggspert says that is in bad taste, I tell them to spit up a rope because their arguement has no legs.

Stop all the whining. To each his own really. Heck I'm Port guy myself (Cockburn's Tawny Porto being one of my faves). Also like Meads a lot. If a so called whine eggspert says that is in bad taste, I tell them to spit up a rope because their arguement has no legs.

Big fan of Port, I've probably got about 50 bottles in my collection, the oldest being a 1985 Taylor Fladgate which by my records should be ready to drink right now.

I didn't criticize "this group" (whatever that means) - I criticized pompous loser wine snobs. If you align yourself in that category, that's your thing, not mien.

PS what I consider "great wine" is a "wine that tastes great." A wine is IMO not great because Johnny Cheeseball gave it some hot wine rating. I'm not a sheeple (or whatever the current trendy word for that is). And no I don't profess to be a world-class expert, but neither am I a total wine ignoramus either. I'm just a guy who has had his share of wines of all types, prices, etc that loves wine but hates the unbelievable amount of pretentious BS that often accompanies it. And that also is not aimed at you or anyone here; it's a very general observation. To each their own...

Well thanks for the suggestions, but for now I'm off to crack another box of Franzia with a Budweiser chaser. :D

I probably should have phrased that better, I usually think that the best advice would be from those that know the subject best and that is usually a wine snob like Detlef or SLD :tup:

I have to agree with the pretentious connotations that wein (wien, wine) come with. But in every wine class (or tasting) that I have ever taught, people are always asking how to pick up on the "nose" of the wine or how do you pick up the different flavors in the wine? So I think a lot of the pretense is built into it and some people feel intimidated by it.

I am always happy to hear that people really enjoy wine and they could care less about the nuances of the nose or flavors in the wine... the important thing is that they enjoyed it. But for me it would be like telling my friends about a great meal I had and not being able to describe a thing about it!

Big fan of Port, I've probably got about 50 bottles in my collection, the oldest being a 1985 Taylor Fladgate which by my records should be ready to drink right now.

I've got about 10 but I've been very selective. 3/4 of them are 1994's including a Graham and a Taylor Fladgate. I try not to think about them too much...

I've got about 10 but I've been very selective. 3/4 of them are 1994's including a Graham and a Taylor Fladgate. I try not to think about them too much...

Yummy! Drink and enjoy Kid. If something happened to Cid tomorrow, whom would enjoy them more?

I like wine, just as I like many other beverages including beer, scotch and real iced tea. I also respect the opinions of people who study beverages, put the time in and are willing to share their opinions with others, such as det, bier, twiley, SLD, sundaynfl, cid, etc. That being said, I drink what I like. If one of these guys says "hey, try this it is good," I respect that and will try it when I get the opportunity. If I like it, I'll get it again. If I don't, I won't. Doesn't mean that I respect their opinion any less. Just means that my taste may be slightly different.

I don't consider anyone a snob when it comes to beverages. You'll just be another drinker with different tastes.

Now, time for another Sierra Nevada. :D

My German is a bit rusty (only a semester in college). Wouldn't the spelling be "Wein"?

Beer = "e" sound = Bier

Wine = "i" sound = Wein

Yep, only a wiener would not spell it wein.

Although I suppose in Vienna you could have a Wien wein.

yep... my board name is a good example........

i didn't want to bust your balls on it sunday cause you've been having fun with that for a couple of years now :D

Spare me the Boones Farm jokes. Only a pompous loser bent on impressing others with their alleged knowledge thinks you have to spend a lot of money to buy good, even great wines. So....whacha got?

I didn't criticize "this group" (whatever that means) - I criticized pompous loser wine snobs. If you align yourself in that category, that's your thing, not mien.

PS what I consider "great wine" is a "wine that tastes great." A wine is IMO not great because Johnny Cheeseball gave it some hot wine rating. I'm not a sheeple (or whatever the current trendy word for that is). And no I don't profess to be a world-class expert, but neither am I a total wine ignoramus either. I'm just a guy who has had his share of wines of all types, prices, etc that loves wine but hates the unbelievable amount of pretentious BS that often accompanies it. And that also is not aimed at you or anyone here; it's a very general observation. To each their own...

Well thanks for the suggestions, but for now I'm off to crack another box of Franzia with a Budweiser chaser. :D

You have an odd way of not insulting people. Your definition of "loser" reeks of ignorance and does seem to include at least a few here who are pretty good resources for finding out about wine.

Perhaps you are easily impressed. Perhaps, like everything else in this world, there are people who are into certain things more than others so they have higher standards. I drive an 8 year old Volvo wagon. It's a comfy ride, hauls what I need, and gets me where I need to go. Prior to that, I drove a Camry. Cars just aren't my thing. I don't want a pile of crap car, but I could really give a rat's ass about the latest and greatest and simply don't think they're something worth getting fired up over and dropping mad jack on. Certainly there are others who have higher standards. That's cool with me.

Wine's the same deal. If you taste a lot of wines, it takes more to impress you. I would never knock a well made wine that delivers on all accounts but tastes pretty much like all the rest. This is what I would drink most days if I didn't have the luxury of getting even better wine than that for free often enough to keep the fridge and kitchen counter stocked. It just so happens, that wines that retail for $10 or less, almost never fall into the "great" category (I'll back off and say almost but it is rare enough that you need to get crazy lucky as it may happen for one of these wines in one vintage but not the next). Because, once again, in all things, I define "great" as more than "really good".

This isn't to say that more expensive wine is always better and I taste a bunch of crap that retails for $30 that isn't nearly as good as much cheaper stuff. I will also say this. Over the years, I've always valued the opinion of people who were basically refined but didn't know much about wine in tastings. Their judgment wasn't clouded by any hype on the wine or the fact that it was made by one-eyed monks who only harvested during full moons, etc. More times than not, when we'd do a tasting with some "good" wines and one or two "great" wines, they'd always pause when they got to the great stuff. "Wow, this is the shight right here isn't it". "Yep, that's the shight".

You don't have to be a snob to "get" great wines. Great wines transcend knowledge. You might decide once you find out how much that costs compared to the others that it isn't worth the extra money, but it's pretty hard to deny the greatness.

Then again, I can't imagine that $30K car would be more than twice as good as my Volvo.

Edited by detlef

I have to agree with the pretentious connotations that wein (wien, wine) come with. But in every wine class (or tasting) that I have ever taught, people are always asking how to pick up on the "nose" of the wine or how do you pick up the different flavors in the wine? So I think a lot of the pretense is built into it and some people feel intimidated by it.

Yep, agree on all counts. Fortunately, there are wine "experts" out there who don't play the pretentious/pompous BS bit. Yes they do exist, although sometimes you have to wade through a lot of the others to find them :D

I am always happy to hear that people really enjoy wine and they could care less about the nuances of the nose or flavors in the wine... the important thing is that they enjoyed it. But for me it would be like telling my friends about a great meal I had and not being able to describe a thing about it!

Sure, the important thing is to enjoy it, know what you like etc - but for me (and I would suspect most) a great deal of the pleasure or even "point" of drinking wine is all the nuances and complexities of flavor. And I think it's something one can always improve on, regardless of one's expertise (real or imagined).

You have an odd way of not insulting people. Your definition of "loser" reeks of ignorance and does seem to include at least a few here who are pretty good resources for finding out about wine.

Perhaps you are easily impressed. Perhaps, like everything else in this world, there are people who are into certain things more than others so they have higher standards. I drive an 8 year old Volvo wagon. It's a comfy ride, hauls what I need, and gets me where I need to go. Prior to that, I drove a Camry. Cars just aren't my thing. I don't want a pile of crap car, but I could really give a rat's ass about the latest and greatest and simply don't think they're something worth getting fired up over and dropping mad jack on. Certainly there are others who have higher standards. That's cool with me.

Wine's the same deal. If you taste a lot of wines, it takes more to impress you. I would never knock a well made wine that delivers on all accounts but tastes pretty much like all the rest. This is what I would drink most days if I didn't have the luxury of getting even better wine than that for free often enough to keep the fridge and kitchen counter stocked. It just so happens, that wines that retail for $10 or less, almost never fall into the "great" category (I'll back off and say almost but it is rare enough that you need to get crazy lucky as it may happen for one of these wines in one vintage but not the next). Because, once again, in all things, I define "great" as more than "really good".

This isn't to say that more expensive wine is always better and I taste a bunch of crap that retails for $30 that isn't nearly as good as much cheaper stuff. I will also say this. Over the years, I've always valued the opinion of people who were basically refined but didn't know much about wine in tastings. Their judgment wasn't clouded by any hype on the wine or the fact that it was made by one-eyed monks who only harvested during full moons, etc. More times than not, when we'd do a tasting with some "good" wines and one or two "great" wines, they'd always pause when they got to the great stuff. "Wow, this is the shight right here isn't it". "Yep, that's the shight".

You don't have to be a snob to "get" great wines. Great wines transcend knowledge. You might decide once you find out how much that costs compared to the others that it isn't worth the extra money, but it's pretty hard to deny the greatness.

Then again, I can't imagine that $30K car would be more than twice as good as my Volvo.

First for at least the 2d and last time, my remarks were not aimed at anyone. I think that was clear from the start, although maybe I should have elaborated/splained more (sort of like you just did in fact).

Second, I think we agree more than it may have sounded like or you may think - again you probably just explained better what I was trying to say all along.

Can't hang w/Volvos though. Whether it's wine or cars, boxy just aint good.

Whether it's wine or cars, boxy just aint good.

There's actually some pretty good wine being sold in a box these days. Don't rule it out :D . Frankly, just like screw caps, the resistance is mostly just snobbery. In terms of everyday wines, why not put them in a box. They last for weeks once opened because they don't oxidize. I'd sell them if I could get away with it because a lot of it is every bit as good as the lower tiered bottled wine. Of course, the customers would have a fit if they saw us serving wine from a box.

There's actually some pretty good wine being sold in a box these days. Don't rule it out :D . Frankly, just like screw caps, the resistance is mostly just snobbery. In terms of everyday wines, why not put them in a box. They last for weeks once opened because they don't oxidize. I'd sell them if I could get away with it because a lot of it is every bit as good as the lower tiered bottled wine. Of course, the customers would have a fit if they saw us serving wine from a box.

I was going to say I had a Shiraz from BoxStar that was drinkable...

Edited by alexgaddis

+1 on the Spain call. Over delivers at all lower and middle price points.

The 2005 Pablo Menguante Garnacha (or grenache) is a prime example of the almost extreme values coming from Spain right now.

At only $7.99 a bottle, this wine is rated 90 Points Jay Miller (Wine Advocate).... Haven't tasted yet but just ordered some. Most of what I have tasted from 04 and 05 vintages I have agreed with the higher ratings that the weins have received! How much of a better deal, would these weins be if our dollar wasn't so weak?