[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FORCING a Rookie from Coming to Minicamp?

The Wolf

L.A. event blocks Packers' Jackson from camp

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson felt as if he were on top of the world when the Packers drafted him in the second round in April.

As a second-round pick, Jackson had an immediate opportunity to compete for a starting job in Green Bay's backfield. And, as a first-day drafted offensive player at a skill position, he received an invitation to participate in this weekend's Premiere event in Los Angeles, where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. Even better, players receive $12,000 for attending.

Yet Jackson's good fortune, however, has turned sour in recent days.

The Premiere event was scheduled for the same weekend as the Packers' minicamp -- and Jackson couldn't choose. The NFL Players Association and the Management Council ruled this week that Jackson was required to attend the Premiere event and not the minicamp.

"I'm being held out against my will," Jackson said Thursday. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will."

Once Jackson received the invitation to L.A., he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule. Through his agent, Gary Wichard, Jackson notified the league of the conflict and informed officials he wanted to attend the minicamp. He showed up this week and started to work on training and learning the playbook.

Reports of Brett Favre's now-expected attendance in minicamp made Jackson feel even better about picking camp over the Premiere event. Jackson was going to try to show Favre that the Packers' backfield problems, with him now on the roster, would not be as pronounced.

"I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall," Jackson said. "I've only had four or five practices with the veterans, but my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp."

Jackson's time commitment in Los Angeles will be from Thursday night through Sunday. He's worried his new teammates might not understand his absence.

"I don't want them to think I'm some kind of a prima donna," Jackson said. "I want to show them I want to work and get a feel for the game. I'm real disappointed. I want to be in camp."

where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. Even better, players receive $12,000 for attending

Well, that sure as hell supercedes actually learning to play the game and being paid 7 digit amounts.

On one hand, the nfl is being assinine. On the other hand, my impression is that GB should have known about this conflict & scheduled their camp better. Jackson's caught in the middle.

L.A. event blocks Packers' Jackson from camp

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson felt as if he were on top of the world when the Packers drafted him in the second round in April.

As a second-round pick, Jackson had an immediate opportunity to compete for a starting job in Green Bay's backfield. And, as a first-day drafted offensive player at a skill position, he received an invitation to participate in this weekend's Premiere event in Los Angeles, where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. Even better, players receive $12,000 for attending.

Yet Jackson's good fortune, however, has turned sour in recent days.

The Premiere event was scheduled for the same weekend as the Packers' minicamp -- and Jackson couldn't choose. The NFL Players Association and the Management Council ruled this week that Jackson was required to attend the Premiere event and not the minicamp.

"I'm being held out against my will," Jackson said Thursday. "I was told I either have to go home and do nothing or go to Los Angeles. They are locking me out against my will."

Once Jackson received the invitation to L.A., he sensed a problem. He knew the shoot conflicted with his Packers schedule. Through his agent, Gary Wichard, Jackson notified the league of the conflict and informed officials he wanted to attend the minicamp. He showed up this week and started to work on training and learning the playbook.

Reports of Brett Favre's now-expected attendance in minicamp made Jackson feel even better about picking camp over the Premiere event. Jackson was going to try to show Favre that the Packers' backfield problems, with him now on the roster, would not be as pronounced.

"I feel like I need to learn the plays so I can come back and try to win a starting job in the fall," Jackson said. "I've only had four or five practices with the veterans, but my agent told me the collective bargaining agreement couldn't let me go to the minicamp."

Jackson's time commitment in Los Angeles will be from Thursday night through Sunday. He's worried his new teammates might not understand his absence.

"I don't want them to think I'm some kind of a prima donna," Jackson said. "I want to show them I want to work and get a feel for the game. I'm real disappointed. I want to be in camp."

where top selected skill players attend photo card shoots, contend for endorsements and receive television exposure. Even better, players receive $12,000 for attending

Well, that sure as hell supercedes actually learning to play the game and being paid 7 digit amounts.

On one hand, the nfl is being assinine. On the other hand, my impression is that GB should have known about this conflict & scheduled their camp better. Jackson's caught in the middle.

Well stated. I like this kid more and more by the day.

Are you guys missing this part?

Is the league/players council really that hard-up for cash? I've never heard anything this stupid, ever. The kid WANTS to come to work and he is not permitted???? Please.

They could schedule it so it doesn't conflict. Who the hell's in charge anyway?

the nfl has gotten scarily money hungry over the past few years.. nfl network cable fiasco, banning youtube clips and such, international games, etc.. they better start watching what they are doing.

Why?

Would you quit watching?

I know I won't stop.

Just being honest.

Are you guys missing this part?

No...that is exactly the point of this thread. The kid wants to go to work, wants to learn the offense, wants to win a job on the team...and because of some stupid promotion the league has worked out -- and built into the CBA -- with Premiere, he cannot.

We didn't miss that part...it's what got me all riled up.

Why?

Would you quit watching?

I know I won't stop.

Just being honest.

I don't watch MLB or the NBA and haven't for a few years because of various reasons in each sport that put me off - and I'll never watch them again. And this is from a guy who used to go to 30-40 MLB games a year as a kid/young man & followed pro basketball avidly. I can get my baseball/basketball fix from watching college & high school sports and don't need to support whining doping mega-millionaire MLB players or thug/punk can't-hit-a-12-foot-jumper/no D playing NBA players with the WWE style story lines.

There are some people who will draw a line and then stand by it.

Yup, Packers leadership are to blame for this one.

Correction: seems Miami's Beck and Booker are being affected as well.

Team leadership should really check these things out. Don't schedule workouts during official league / union events.

Edited by Riffraff

Why?

Would you quit watching?

I know I won't stop.

Just being honest.

im talking more along the lines of what the nfl is heading to... that is premium tv channels and/or ppv. i could just see them signing a deal with hbo or another premium network that takes even more games out of households along with nfl network.