[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex Brown seeking trade?

Bill Swerski

My apologies if this was posted yesterday.

Sounds like he's not happy with what Angelo's paying him and that he doesn't expect a new deal...

:D

Bears' Brown just exploring trade possibilities

Associated Press

Updated: May 16, 2007, 9:49 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears expect to see starting defensive end Alex Brown at their minicamp this weekend even though Brown says he's seeking a trade.

Brown told Sirius NFL Radio on Wednesday that he asked the Bears for permission to work out a trade. But coach Lovie Smith plans to have Brown at the three-day minicamp beginning Friday.

"I just know we have a minicamp coming up this weekend and Alex has been working awful hard with our program," Smith said. "We'll see him there this weekend working out with us. So that's about all I can tell you right now."

Brown admitted he's comfortable with the Bears, but is eager to explore other opportunities. Still, he has three years remaining on his contract.

"We're just trying to see what's out there," Brown said. "That's what we're trying to do. It's not the Bears. They don't want to get rid of me. It's just that I want to see what else is out there.

"If it was up to me I'd get a new contract here and play the rest of my career here. I totally understand some of the things the Bears are saying. We're handling this in a real low-key fashion and that's the way we want to keep it."

Brown had seven sacks last season in a very effective line rotation that helped Chicago reach the Super Bowl, where it lost to Indianapolis.

A fourth-round pick out of Florida in 2002, Brown signed a contract extension in 2004. He said when he broached the subject of a trade, the Bears told him, "No way. We love you. We don't want to get rid of you."

Added Brown: "It took a while to even get them to talk about it."

I heard they have been interested in trading him for a month. After Mark Anderson's play last season it does make some sense.

They brought in Bazuin as well.

I've been hearing that they'd actually prefer to move OGun, but his contract is too large.

This should resolve itself because the Bears ARE deep in edge rushers and Alex Brown isn't being a tool about it a la Briggs. If they don't trade him, I don't think he'll holdout because he's been very quiet about this and made no noise about that being an option from what I've read.

LB Williams, DE Anderson Both Starting

John Mullin, Chicago Tribune -

Bears LB Jamar Williams was in Lance Briggs' spot as the weak-side linebacker with the No. 1 defense on Friday. And Mark Anderson, whose 12 sacks earned him runner-up honors as defensive rookie of the year, has been installed as the starter at the RE spot that Alex Brown has occupied the last 4 1/2 seasons. Brown, who is demanding a trade, is set to backup Anderson and LE Adewale Ogunleye.

They brought in Bazuin as well.

I've been hearing that they'd actually prefer to move OGun, but his contract is too large.

This should resolve itself because the Bears ARE deep in edge rushers and Alex Brown isn't being a tool about it a la Briggs. If they don't trade him, I don't think he'll holdout because he's been very quiet about this and made no noise about that being an option from what I've read.

That'd be a shame if they moved Brown instead of Ogunleye, as Brown is a much better overall DE.

Brown is just looking for attention. Of course, all the media went to talk to him about it and he just smiled and walked away. Bad move on his part. He's getting worse each year at a rapid pace. He's good for one or two exceptional games, and many bad ones.

As Pope said, Ogun can't be moved...his contract is not friendly to trade.

Anderson is someone they need to get on the field 75% of the time this year...it's as simple as that.

"Friday, however, found him in a rotation as the backup to both Anderson and left end Adewale Ogunleye.

"I was practicing both [positions] so I'm both," Brown said to a question as to whether he is a right end or left end. "Hopefully, I can learn both and play wherever it ends up after training camp."

Brown was his usual affable self, kidding with the media after practice. But he has let the Bears know he would like to be traded.

As far as being all right with the situation as it stands:

"Am I?" Brown said, laughing as he walked away. "I'm going to leave that alone."

Coach Lovie Smith declined to specify a starter beyond "we have a starting rotation. ... [Friday] we had three guys who rotated in with the No. 1 defense and I think that's the way it will be this year."