[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie RB MUST go to LA instead of minicamp

Chavez

Brandon Jackson forced to attend trading-card company shindig as opposed to minicamp

:D

According to Jackson's agent, Gary Wichard, a mandate handed down from the National Football League Management Council this week has barred Jackson from attending the Packers' mandatory minicamp today through Sunday because Jackson is expected to attend the "2007 Reebok NFL Rookie Premier, presented by EA Sports" to start working on his endorsement deals and player cards.

His only real choice is either to go to Los Angeles or stay at home. But he can't come to minicamp.

"They literally locked him out of camp," Wichard said. "The team is not allowed to have him. I think it's ridiculous."

Wichard first notified his client last Friday that he had been invited to the prestigious Premier event. It is a huge honor. It's the first time players are photographed by trading card companies like Topps, Press Pass and Upper Deck in their official pro gear.

Jackson was thrilled, of course. It lumps him in the "Who's Who" of future NFL stars. But he passed because of the schedule conflict.

"Brandon said, 'I want to go to the mandatory minicamp. This is with the veterans. I am going to get my shot at working with them,' " Wichard said.

Wichard respectfully declined on Jackson's behalf.

"They said, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, this is big, this is important,' " Wichard said. "I said, 'This is Brandon's decision. He wants to be in minicamp with his new teammates.' "

But on Wednesday, Wichard said, the Management Council (essentially the governing body of the NFL) told the Packers and Jackson that he isn't even allowed at the Packers' practice facility this weekend even if he doesn't go to the Rookie Premier.

....so they want to pimp these kids as the next big starts, etc but they stand in the way of them doing what is necessary to maximize their first year impact.

Genious. :D