[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is FF getting more competitive?

Chavez

I was just thinking - obviously, there's always a level of luck involved, but because of the proliferation of sites like this, I've felt like FF is getting a bit more competitive than it was back when; it seems like fewer players truly slip through the cracks. Sure, you may have one or two pigeons masquerading as GMs in your leagues, but overall people seem a bit better informed and more aware.

Or am I just losing my edge and trying to blame outside factors?

I think it ebbs and flows in FF and ya need to keep it simple and not out-think yourself. I still get fumed when ya talk yourself outta that one guy-he sits..and blows up proper that week.

Edited by PantherDave

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, but it was hard for me to determine, since I spend most of my time on IDP dynasty leagues...which of course attract only the most dedicated FFers.

I've found that, as the years have gone by, my range of overall value for players has decreased. It seems I research players so much that I can find that "silver lining" on any of them, OR I can list a dozen reasons why any "stud" is going to have a down year.

I'm not sure how that translates into my ability to assemble good teams, but I've had that feeling for a couple of years now. I've had a remarkably lucky streak of playoff appearances in my non-dynasty leagues, so I guess I'm doing something right. :D

Sooo...yeah. It seems to be getting more competitive, but I'd think a lot of the long-tenured Huddlers still maintain an edge over the "average" FF-obsessed dude. :D

This is my first FULL off season of activity. I have been fairly well informed because of my participation here but with the addition of 3 dynasty leagues I have way more knowledge than I have had in the past!

I remember when drafting RB-RB in the first two rounds was a secret strategy for success. Now even the semi-hardcore football fans who have a season or two of FF under their belt are more formidable than the wily vetereans of 7-8 years ago.

Knowledge and skills can still definitely be honed, but good old fasionhed luck in head to head leagues still plays a major role. After 2 consecutive years of dissapointing results I had 2 great playoff teams in my 3 BOTH leagues last year only to watch my studs fall flat on their face when it mattered. I think our WCOFF league was the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring team but we didn't end up winning squat.

Getting a Ladanian Tomilison puts you well on your way for winning a league, but the unpredictability of RB performance over the last couple years seems like it is changing the landscape of FF a bit.

The #12 team in the WCOFF league I mediated at last year grabbed 2 WR's in round 1 and 2 while getting Gore during their next back to back picks and ended up winning the league. Although I don't promote that as a great recipe for success, the amount of decent RB's that should be avaible in rounds 3 and 4 of this year should make for interesting drafts.

Fantasy football is 99.98% luck.

Doesn't matter one bit how prepared you are, or how experienced you are, or how handsome you are.

Total luck. We all know it. We all know people who have won money because of it.

No denying it. If it's your turn by the grace of the FF Gods, then you win.

Doesn't matter one bit how prepared you are, or how experienced you are, or how handsome you are.

Total luck. We all know it. We all know people who have won money because of it.

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity" - someone smarter than you, me, or Chief Dick

I agree. I'm only here for the food.

And wimmens.

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity" - someone smarter than you, me, or Chief Dick

Wow!! Impressive... and to think I've never played in a league with you. :D

It's gotten easier, IMO.

* You can now watch owners pick directly off cheatsheets during the draft. It's like you are in their "warroom" at the draft.

* Every website seems to have the same "sleepers." And by sleepers, I mean players that will go too high in the draft, leaving good producers for you.

* Owners rely on web services to provide the information rather than doing some of their own homework. Too easy to beat out the guys that don't study.

* Definitely too easy when trading. If it's not ranked on a cheatsheet, they are lost.

* If the media (FF websites) say something is better than something else. It must be true. Has to be... they can't be wrong. Can they? Use this to your advantage in FF.

* Doesn't matter how much information is to the contrary, people are biased. Teams, players, or themselves. Deal with it.

* In Redraft leagues it may improve the owner "knowledge" around you, but definitely not in dynasty leagues. It's much easier to use a cheatsheet based on 1 year than it is to prognosticate 2-4 years into the future.

* If you go out of your way to learn anything, you'll always have an advantage over those that just don't care as much as you about the subject.

* And lastly: Just remember, YOU are the best at FF. No one comes close. Go ahead and overvalue your FF prowess. Nobody else does. :D

If you win: It's skill.

If they win: It's luck.

Edited by Riffraff

I was just thinking - obviously, there's always a level of luck involved, but because of the proliferation of sites like this, I've felt like FF is getting a bit more competitive than it was back when; it seems like fewer players truly slip through the cracks. Sure, you may have one or two pigeons masquerading as GMs in your leagues, but overall people seem a bit better informed and more aware.

Or am I just losing my edge and trying to blame outside factors?

I think you answered your own question Chavez. "The proliferation of sites" has lead to all kinds of opinion, stretegy, ranking, and collection of information. Because there is just so much data out there -- and, save for LT2 at 1.01 -- not all in agreement, the difficulty you think may be due to playing FF is really in trying to sift through all this data and opinion and determine for yourself what you agree with and what you don't.

The game itself has changed in that there are no longer many teams who employ one starting RB...the shift is to the two-headed monster, making strategy change. Some will do anything to get the studs who carry their teams...others leave these players for the others to go after and build solid depth utilizing stud WR's.

Personally, I've not won a championship of any kind in any league since 1998. But these past few years have been about as enjoyable playing FF as ever.

Said by the guy that always loses.

I think it varies by where you are playing. In the Yahoo! public leagues you are lucky to get 1/2 the guys to show for a draft. Now days I play in pay leagues were the owners are taking it more seriously. People are making themselves more informed though. I tell one buddy of mine that I have played with for years that I liked him better when he didn't know anything...lol.

My local leagues have. I attribute this to the internet.

5 or 6 years ago, it seemed that I was able to pick up players like Colston and Jones-Drew toward the end of the draft. With guys like Dorey touting these type of players, they no longer fall through the cracks.

It also seems like defenses and kickers don't get drafted as early as they used to.

My local leagues have. I attribute this to the internet.

5 or 6 years ago, it seemed that I was able to pick up players like Colston and Jones-Drew toward the end of the draft. With guys like Dorey touting these type of players, they no longer fall through the cracks.

It also seems like defenses and kickers don't get drafted as early as they used to.

yup

Tough to say that FF is getting more competitive or not. I am usually in the playoffs in my league, and I have won the league the last couple years. But some of that may be as that the guys in our league get older they have less time to spend on FF because of those pesky family/business commitments. I have noticed a few guys in my league shortchanging their FF time because real-world responsibility encroaches on the time and attention they can give their teams. I myself basically only play in one league because that is pretty much the limit of the free time I can set aside for FF.

I think our WCOFF league was the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring team but we didn't end up winning squat.

Our WCOFF team was top 6 in overall scoring throughout all leagues and we didn't win crap either.

Edited by twiley

Said by the guy that always loses.

:D

Now that's a shot...

It's true. I'm in a league with both of them! CD has had one of the top two scoring teams during the regular season each of the last two years to successfully manage to avoid making a playoff appearance both times.

H2H increases the luck factor since one bad game in the playoffs KILLS you. Total points decreases the luck factor, because one bad game doesn't kill you.

But, I digress. With the plethora of info available, it is easier for casual FF players to do well. But, a serious FF player still has an advantage because they dig deeper than someone else's cheatsheet.

Edited by The Next Generation