[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb Trade Rumor/Theory

From Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Just one person's thoughts, and total speculation from a columnist/talk-show host that loves to stir things up. Interesting, nonetheless.

It would make the Eagle LB corps, and perhaps the entire defense, one of the the top units in the league:

A McNabb trade (in theory)

By Don McKee

Inquirer Columnist

Donovan McNabb for linebacker Lance Briggs? You never know. Briggs does not want to return to the Bears, who could be looking for a QB. One of Incites' most important roles in the media mix called Philadelphia is to pass along stories that are under-reported elsewhere.

So while cautioning you that this scenario is strictly the inner thought of one of the area's most sage football observers, here's one compelling theory:

The recent drafting of quarterback Kevin Kolb could mean that Donovan McNabb will be traded before the 2007 season.

A few observers have opined that McNabb will be moved after the coming season. But here's a scenario that has him moving before September.

The Chicago Bears are ready to win the Super Bowl. They might have won it last year except for a glaring weakness at quarterback. Before the ever-popular "window" closes, the Bears need a quality QB to kick them over the hump.

This scenario obviously depends on two things. One, that McNabb is physically ready to play on Week 1 of the 2007 season. Two, that Chicago is convinced McNabb is their best available QB option.

(The fact that McNabb is from Chicago is, in my mind, irrelevant. The Bears would be just as interested in an available quality veteran if he were from Portland, Tucson or Montreal.)

But the key to this scenario is Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, who has said publicly that he will never play for Chicago again and who refused to report to minicamp on Friday.

Briggs is, arguably, the best weakside linebacker in the game and is only 26.

The question most Eagles fans are asking right now is: Why would the Bears make that deal?

It would give them a chance to save face, by sending Briggs where the team wants to send him and not be seen as having Briggs dictate to them. Plus, they would get a vital component of any Super Bowl team in exchange for a player who says he won't show up.

The Eagles, of course, would then have rebuilt their defense to the point where it could carry an offense managed by A.J. Feeley or Kelly Holcomb, while awaiting the development of Kolb.

If you asked the Eagles about this they would, naturally, laugh it off. The key for the Birds in any trade scenario is to appear totally neutral while listening to offers. It's always best to have the player everybody else wants, then choose the best offer.

Is it going to happen? Right now, it's just a thought. But if McNabb shows up in July and begins tearing up training camp, the offers are sure to soon follow.

I dont think this has a chance of happening. The Eagles "window" is still open right now... Sending off your best player will absolutley shut the window and give you 2-3 years of grooming for the future.

Exactly. Plus I think the Eagles already improved the LB position with Spikes and they have a few young LB (Gaither, McCoy, Bradley) who could turn out to be nice players. Don't get me wrong, Briggs would make this defense even better but I think the loss of McNabb would hurt more then what they would gain with Briggs.

I dont think this has a chance of happening. The Eagles "window" is still open right now... Sending off your best player will absolutley shut the window and give you 2-3 years of grooming for the future.

I agree...I don't see it as a real possibility at this point... :D ...though it certainly could explain the reason there are currently four QBs on the roster (McNabb, Feely, Holcomb, Kolb).

But why I think in COULD happen:

Feely went 4-1 as McNabb's replacement 3 years ago. Garcia went 5-1 as his replacement last year. A combined 9-2, with Eagle defenses that were average at best. Historically, the Eagle's brass has always beleived in the system, and that no one player can't be replaced and inserted by another. Could the QB position, as evidenced by the success of the back-up QBs in recent years, be no different?

If they really beleive this, this deal would have a smaller-than-expected impact on the offense.

However, it would make the defense one of the best in football. Briggs, Spikes, Gaither and Trotter would combine to make one of the Top-3 LB corps in the game. Couple them with a Top-10 DL (Kearse, Cole, Howard, Bunkley, THomas, Patterson), and a more-than-solid secondary (Dawkins, Sheppard, Brown, James), and you have the makings of a significantly improved defense...one that can win games on its own.

While the window may not appear to be as open as it would have with McNabb, it certainly wouldn't be slammed shut with Feely/Holcomb playing the role of Trent Dilfer (managing the offense a la Ravens). Give Kolb a year to learn, and that window would be wide open again for the next several years with this defense controlling games.

Verrry interesting idea......

No way this happens.

Interesting viewpoint to say the least. Personally, I don't think it happens. Is Briggs really that good, or is he just benefitting from who he played next to? Wouldn't be the first time a def player was exposed by playing in a system, and next to a player like Urlacher. Lets say it does happen, what does it do to McNabbs value?

In addition, the DL can't keep the OL off of the Eagles linebackers, that is the D's main problem.

I think that was more of a problem last year, which they have addressed with signings of Reagor & Scott, the drafting of Abiamiri, as well as the return of Kearse from injury. I finally see the DL as a major strength for the Eagles this year...they should be significantly better at keeping opposing OLs from dominating the line of scrimmage.

I too think the trade is a bit of a reach. But if the Eagles truly see Kolb as their QB of the future (2-3 years away), and beleive from past experiences that a QB who can manage the offense can succeed as Feely/Garcia have done in the past, then would making the move now (before his trade value plummets when everyone knows you are trying to move him) for one of the best young LBs in football be such a bad idea?

I too think the trade is a bit of a reach. But if the Eagles truly see Kolb as their QB of the future (2-3 years away), and beleive from past experiences that a QB who can manage the offense can succeed as Feely/Garcia have done in the past, then would making the move now (before his trade value plummets when everyone knows you are trying to move him) for one of the best young LBs in football be such a bad idea?

Yes, bad idea. They THINK they know what they've got w/Kolb. But until they really see him play in the system and progress, then getting rid of McNabb = not good.

This couldn't happen until after this season, and only if Kolb looks promising going into 2008. Even then, McNabb would have to stumble yet again but if that happens the Eagles might just cut him rather than pay him or is his contract up?

He grew up a Bears fan in the 'burbs, so if he ever left Philly ChiTown would make sense, even before you considered their QB issues, of whom Rex is definitely in the last yera of his contract, along with only Griese or Orton meaning at this point they only have 1 QB under contract for 2008.

exactly, and why not keep Garcia for 2 more yrs, while grooming the reach in the draft.

Why do people keep bringing him up like he was a legit option for the Eagles? No matter what, Garcia would have left for a chance to start. There was no way the Eagles could have kept him as a backup. End of story.

Why do people keep bringing him up like he was a legit option for the Eagles? No matter what, Garcia would have left for a chance to start. There was no way the Eagles could have kept him as a backup. End of story.

McFly, If the eagles were planning on trading McNabb, Garcia would have stayed and started. Which is why I disagree with this on so many levels. When the let Garcia leave, that closed the door on a trade, THIS yr. Garcia was an option if Philly wanted him.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Okay Guys, explain to me why all the McNabb trade talk. IMO McNabb should be untouchable. What the he!!?????

Birds dont know a good thing. Id trade Romo, next yrs #1 and Julius Jones all for McNabb right now, if I was the Boys GM.

Not Clevelands #1, but Dallas #1. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I think that was more of a problem last year, which they have addressed with signings of Reagor & Scott, the drafting of Abiamiri, as well as the return of Kearse from injury. I finally see the DL as a major strength for the Eagles this year...they should be significantly better at keeping opposing OLs from dominating the line of scrimmage.

well....this trade is definately a reach....I mean, WIP hosts have been known to make stuff up...

on a slow day mid-summer...Gargano used to make up these Urlacher trade stories to try and spark some callers...

half the time, that's all this is...