[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb Trade Rumor/Theory

While this is obviously one journalist's pipe-dream, and has about a 0% chance of happening, it is very interesting to consider...i mean, what else is there to do in late spring when football is 4 months away then speculate on "what-ifs"?

That being said, some devil's advocate retorts:

1. Would the drop-off from McNabb (who has been seriously injured in two of the last three years) be significant within the system the Eagle's play? I don't know. It wasn't when he was hurt three years ago, and it wasn't last year. Everyone thought the Eagles season was over after he got hurt last year. Garcia steps in, and after one loss on the road in Indy, they reel off 5 in a row to win the division. And please don't tell me that Garcia was the reason...he was the same Garcia that played in Detroit and Cleveland. It was the system that let Garcia succeed. Period. Does anyone remember they were 5-5 with McNabb last year, after playing the "easier" part of their schedule?

2. It definitely wouldn't be Kolb this year. Would it be too crazy to think the Eagles would offer up a 5th rounder for Trent Green, when the current bid from the Dolphins is a 7th? Or crazier to think they'd go with the better of Feely (who knows this offense well) or Holcomb? Either way, it would be a veteran similar to Garcia/Dilfer/etc. that would manage the offense, rather than lead it. I could live with that.

3. McNabb has about 2-3 years left here (based on the drafting of Kolb, history of 33-year old QBs, etc...unless, of course, they win the whole enchilada). At that point, they'd cut him or trade him for little value. Why not grab a top LB for him while his value is a higher, rather than wait until every team in the league knows you are getting rid of him?

Yes, I know the deal won't happen. Reid loves McNabb...he offers them a better chance of winning now....they are heavily invested in him (gave him a huge signing bonus 2-3 years ago)....he is generally well-liked in Philly, regardless of the morons on talk-radio. But still, if this deal had any truth to it, oddly, I wouldn't be that against it. I've seen this offense work with and without Westbrook, with and without McNabb, with and without Owens, with and without Stallworth....and I'd be happy to give up a little now for a better long-term prognosois, especially landing a stud LB to lead the defense for the next 6-8 years.

Yes, bad idea. They THINK they know what they've got w/Kolb. But until they really see him play in the system and progress, then getting rid of McNabb = not good.

By the time we find out if Kolb has the goods, McNabb will be 33-34 years old. Getting rid of McNabb today would have zero affect on Kolb...he won't be playing anytime soon anyway. If they were to trade McNabb, you'd see Feely/Holcomb/TBD under center for the next two years.

Personally, if this deal had a speck of truth to it, I'd trade immediately for Trent Green and give the Chiefs the 4th-5th rounder they want from the Dolphins.

Essentially, we'd be trading McNabb and a 5th-round pick for Green and Briggs. Not bad.

Birds dont know a good thing. Id trade Romo, next yrs #1 and Julius Jones all for McNabb right now, if I was the Boys GM.

Not Clevelands #1, but Dallas #1. :D

Now thats a deal I'd have no interest in...why would we want Romo or Jones? Although the #4 pick in next year's draft would be nice. :D

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

While this is obviously one journalist's pipe-dream, and has about a 0% chance of happening, it is very interesting to consider...i mean, what else is there to do in late spring when football is 4 months away then speculate on "what-ifs"?

That being said, some devil's advocate retorts:

1. Would the drop-off from McNabb (who has been seriously injured in two of the last three years) be significant within the system the Eagle's play? I don't know. It wasn't when he was hurt three years ago, and it wasn't last year. Everyone thought the Eagles season was over after he got hurt last year. Garcia steps in, and after one loss on the road in Indy, they reel off 5 in a row to win the division. And please don't tell me that Garcia was the reason...he was the same Garcia that played in Detroit and Cleveland. It was the system that let Garcia succeed. Period. Does anyone remember they were 5-5 with McNabb last year, after playing the "easier" part of their schedule?

2. It definitely wouldn't be Kolb this year. Would it be too crazy to think the Eagles would offer up a 5th rounder for Trent Green, when the current bid from the Dolphins is a 7th? Or crazier to think they'd go with the better of Feely (who knows this offense well) or Holcomb? Either way, it would be a veteran similar to Garcia/Dilfer/etc. that would manage the offense, rather than lead it. I could live with that.

3. McNabb has about 2-3 years left here (based on the drafting of Kolb, history of 33-year old QBs, etc...unless, of course, they win the whole enchilada). At that point, they'd cut him or trade him for little value. Why not grab a top LB for him while his value is a higher, rather than wait until every team in the league knows you are getting rid of him?

Yes, I know the deal won't happen. Reid loves McNabb...he offers them a better chance of winning now....they are heavily invested in him (gave him a huge signing bonus 2-3 years ago)....he is generally well-liked in Philly, regardless of the morons on talk-radio. But still, if this deal had any truth to it, oddly, I wouldn't be that against it. I've seen this offense work with and without Westbrook, with and without McNabb, with and without Owens, with and without Stallworth....and I'd be happy to give up a little now for a better long-term prognosois, especially landing a stud LB to lead the defense for the next 6-8 years.

The Qb of the future, after McNabb isnt on the Birds roster. Kolb is sh*t. NO question about it. Birds SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!ed up royally spending a 2nd on this guy. He is worse than Quincy Carter. And this pick will be as ridiculed as that one was years ago by Dallas. Bank on that.....

The Qb of the future, after McNabb isnt on the Birds roster. Kolb is sh*t. NO question about it. Birds SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS !!!ed up royally spending a 2nd on this guy. He is worse than Quincy Carter. And this pick will be as ridiculed as that one was years ago by Dallas. Bank on that.....

So you are saying I should be scouting him for my 2013 AFL2 Dynasty league. I had Jared Zabransky #1 and Ryan Moore #2 but this might change everything.

I feel like I am one of the few people around here who thinks McNabb has a bunch of good years left in him. While his body may be getting older, he is the kind of QB who will let his head help him maintain as a much better than average NFL QB for years to come.

Unless it was an offer I couldn't refuse, I wouldn't trade him right now.

Edited by TDFFFreak

By the time we find out if Kolb has the goods, McNabb will be 33-34 years old. Getting rid of McNabb today would have zero affect on Kolb...he won't be playing anytime soon anyway. If they were to trade McNabb, you'd see Feely/Holcomb/TBD under center for the next two years.

If Kolb isn't the goods, then you NEED McNabb to continue to be the QB (say until 2010-11). In the 2009 NFL draft (2 years) you draft the next QB of the future. If McNabb continues to get hurt every year AND Kolb stinks, then you are SOL for the near future because Feely, while OK for a few game stretch, could NOT carry a season. And, Holcomb is gone this summer.

:D Looking forward to 2009 and Kolb lighting-up the Romo-led cowboys. Romo...good luck w/that! :D

I feel like I am one of the few people around here who thinks McNabb has a bunch of good years left in him. While his body may be getting older, he is the kind of QB who will let his head help him maintain as a much better than average NFL QB for years to come.

Unless it was an offer I couldn't refuse, I wouldn't trade him right now.

exactly....I feel like he has 5 more good years left in him...

he's not a partier....he stays dedicated to football...he trains hard and rehabs hard....

If Kolb isn't the goods, then you NEED McNabb to continue to be the QB (say until 2010-11). In the 2009 NFL draft (2 years) you draft the next QB of the future. If McNabb continues to get hurt every year AND Kolb stinks, then you are SOL for the near future because Feely, while OK for a few game stretch, could NOT carry a season. And, Holcomb is gone this summer.

:D Looking forward to 2009 and Kolb lighting-up the Romo-led cowboys. Romo...good luck w/that! :D

I think they'll give up on Romo by that point...