[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis defends Vick

slovak

Here is a question for you though... If you have an ant crawling on you, do you calmley pick it up and rest him upon the ground, or do you kill him before he can sting you? If you killed the ant than you're just as bad as anyone who fights dogs. It was an animal and it was still alive right? Who are you to decide which life has more value?

Actually it's just as bad only if you confine the ants to bad living conditions, set up a arena for the ant's to fight, and then wager on the outcomes of said ant figthing. :D:D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it's just as bad only if you confine the ants to bad living conditions, set up a arena for the ant's to fight, and then wager on the outcomes of said ant figthing. :D:D

We poison ants... Thats pretty bad.

My point isnt to get into debating ants in dogs, its that both result in loss of life. While I don't agree with what he said, I do respect his right to an opinion. I don't think it makes him an idiot, and it for sure doesnt make him a criminal or a lesser player.

What about raising cattle, pumping them full of chemicals and hormones, then slaughtering them? Thats pretty bad as well...

You're trying to say one animal or insect is worth more than another.

What about raising cattle, pumping them full of chemicals and hormones, then slaughtering them? Thats pretty bad as well...

Yes

Dog = Man's best friend

Cow = Man's best dinner

Edited by The Next Generation

Cattle are raised to be eaten.

Dog's raised to fight exist for one reason and one reason only ... to provide entertainment/betting for their owners while they kill other dogs or until they themselves are killed. Once killed they are simply discarded. Try as you might that is simply NOT the same as killing a pest or raising a food animal.

Sorry I'm not fired up enough today to get into a moral debate on insect rights. My 8 month old daughter has taken the fight right out of me. I guess you missed the :D in my post.

He grew up in a small town is Miss. He wasn't raised like you or myself.

How is this relevant? I can see how there might be more NASCAR fans in Miss than, say, Mass, but this is more than a tad patronizing, isn't it? Are we to assume that all southerners are brain dead savages?

Cattle are raised to be eaten.

Dog's raised to fight exist for one reason and one reason only ... to provide entertainment/betting for their owners while they kill other dogs or until they themselves are killed. Once killed they are simply discarded. Try as you might that is simply NOT the same as killing a pest or raising a food animal.

Im not saying that I don't agree with you. All im saying is that its a valid point, and Portis is not a criminal, nor does it make him an idiot for thinking that dog fighting should be punishable by a felony.

And is it fair for cattle to be raised just to be slaughtered? Is there not a hypocracy going on here?

I think i've made my point on this.

I just can't see how everyone is so high and mighty and can judge Portis because he has an opinion that differs from you or I.

How is this relevant? I can see how there might be more NASCAR fans in Miss than, say, Mass, but this is more than a tad patronizing, isn't it? Are we to assume that all southerners are brain dead savages?

He himself said he was raised on the backroads in Miss. When you grow up in the middle of nowhere your perspective is alot different than someone who is raised in an urban area. I wouldnt say brain dead savages, but there is a big difference.

Wow what a disclaimer :D I'm sure all the fine people of Mississippi thank you.

I'm further south that Mississippi. I have family members that do live in back woods rural areas. There is a difference in the way they view and see things opposed to those who grew up in urban areas. Don't be so damned sensitive.

I think you guys are missing my point here...

Im not saying insects should have rights...

Im not saying dogs shouldnt have rights...

Im saying that you can't fault a guy who doesnt beleive dog fighting should be a felony.

I think a lot of you are way too sensitive.

Your point is inane ... comparing insects and cattle to dog raised to fight.

Im saying that you can't fault a guy who doesnt beleive dog fighting should be a felony.

No, I think that you're not being sensitive enough. Dog fighting is barbaric and, most importantly, illegal. And given that the dogs fight to the death, it's more aptly described as "animal slaughter."

Portis' assertion that it shouldn't be a felony is based on a retarded argument that "everybody else does bad things" and that his homie Ron Mexico ain't no criminal.

everything's a slippery slope and you have to draw the line somewhere. raising cattle to nourish us or killing an an ant that is going to bite us is not comparable to having dogs fight for entertainment purposes.

Portis can have his opinion but we can also fault him for having that opinion. Just because he had a different upbringing doesn't mean that we can't question his morals.

I agreed with your post when a Huddler was ripping Portis' intelligence but here we're on a different page.

It Portis' right to believe whatever he wants, but to verbalize it like this: "well if it's his property he should do what he wants" is a poor choice of words. Big mistake to put it like that. He condones all kinds of transgressions then, so long as they are on a man's property and committed by the owner himself.

If he wants to support Vick, take the route that Samuels took and say it's too early to condemn the guy and you are innocent until proven guilty. Period.

No, I think that you're not being sensitive enough. Dog fighting is barbaric and, most importantly, illegal. And given that the dogs fight to the death, it's more aptly described as "animal slaughter."

Portis' assertion that it shouldn't be a felony is based on a retarded argument that "everybody else does bad things" and that his homie Ron Mexico ain't no criminal.

Im not disagreeing with you. I actually agree with what you're saying as far as dog fighting being barbaric. My point is that Portis's opinion doesnt make him an idiot. It doesnt mean he's right, but he shouldnt be attacked for having an opinion that differs from you or I. Thats the point that I was trying to make.

I agreed with your post when a Huddler was ripping Portis' intelligence but here we're on a different page.

It Portis' right to believe whatever he wants, but to verbalize it like this: "well if it's his property he should do what he wants" is a poor choice of words. Big mistake to put it like that. He condones all kinds of transgressions then, so long as they are on a man's property and committed by the owner himself.

If he wants to support Vick, take the route that Samuels took and say it's too early to condemn the guy and you are innocent until proven guilty. Period.

I agree with you. It was a poor choice of words. My point, again, was to say that he has an opinion he's entitled to. I disagree with what he was saying, but I'm not going to call him an idiot.

Im not disagreeing with you. I actually agree with what you're saying as far as dog fighting being barbaric. My point is that Portis's opinion doesnt make him an idiot. It doesnt mean he's right, but he shouldnt be attacked for having an opinion that differs from you or I. Thats the point that I was trying to make.

You're right. The way that Portis presented his argument makes him an idiot.

You're right. The way that Portis presented his argument makes him an idiot.

There is zero chance im going to argue with you on this one. Everytime you go fishing, I always end up biting. I guess im in the minority that people are entitled to there own opinion without being attacked.

There is zero chance im going to argue with you on this one. Everytime you go fishing, I always end up biting. I guess im in the minority that people are entitled to there own opinion without being attacked.

He is certainly entitled to his opinion but given his high visability to the media he was an idiot for presenting his opinion in the fashion that he did (maybe even for professing that particular opinion at all).

A candidate running for the President of the United States is entitled to his own opinions as well, he can believe that blacks are inferior simply based on the color of his skin. While I would believe him to be an idiot for that opinion there are many out there that support him in that particular belief ... he would certainly be an idiot to make his opinion on that particular matter public (assuming he really wanted to be elected to office).

I guess im in the minority that people are entitled to there own opinion without being attacked.

I've always believed that the corollary to First Ammendment rights was that one had to deal with the criticism that would inevitably follow an opinion that was inaccurate, dishonest, illogical, or just plain idiotic.

-

I've always believed that the corollary to First Ammendment rights was that one had to deal with the criticism that would inevitably follow an opinion that was inaccurate, dishonest, illogical, or just plain idiotic.

-

This also opens up the whole debate which we've already touched base on...