[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cellar Management

About 30 days ago, I signed up for Cellar Tracker and imported my inventory into the online DB system. I don't think I've even cracked half of what this system offers but have been very impressed with my limited use to date.

This is a complete online Wine Inventory system that (with some plug-ins) will even pull in ratings from some of the different industry publications and recent bid amounts for the same wine from winebid.com. Saves some work.

The reporting feature is very nice. You have so many options for creating reports or exporting to Excel. I didn't understand half the options so it took me a while to play with them before I got just the right report.

You can set different privacy levels, but this is an online system. For unlocked inventories, you can see what other cellars look like. One of the best things is the inclusion of tasting notes. As add tasting notes, they can be added to the Cellar Tracker public KB. If you want to see what other CellarTracker members are thinking about a certain wine, type it in and read the tasting notes.

For the serious DB programmer types, something better can probably be designed. I had previously just used Excel, however, and wanted some extra functionality but didn't have the DB design knowledge. For me, this system is more robust than I would have come up with anyway....no reason to re-invent the wheel for me.

The most common wines in cellars managed by CellarTracker (at least those cellars that are public):

Château Lynch-Bages (23,334 bottles & 1,393 pending, 0.56%, avg. 1996.6)

Château Léoville Barton (20,305 bottles & 4,417 pending, 0.56%, avg. 1999.9)

Château Lafite Rothschild (20,510 bottles & 1,185 pending, 0.50%, avg. 1995.9)

Joseph Phelps Insignia (21,228 bottles & 245 pending, 0.49%, avg. 1999.3)

Château Cos d'Estournel (18,646 bottles & 2,094 pending, 0.47%, avg. 1997.4)

Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape (19,332 bottles & 963 pending, 0.46%, avg. 1998.5)

Château Mouton Rothschild (18,916 bottles & 686 pending, 0.45%, avg. 1993.4)

Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande (17,857 bottles & 1,160 pending, 0.43%, avg. 1995.5)

Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée (15,708 bottles & 3,203 pending, 0.43%, avg. 2001.2)

Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate (16,872 bottles & 804 pending, 0.40%, avg. 1997.8)

:D

I didn't get that.

I think some people use it for wine that has been purchased but not shipped. For example, my wine storage facility will accept wine club shipments for people with lockers / rooms at the facility. Then, we swing by, go to a common room, pull our's and move it to our individual lockers. I know someone marks a bottle pending when they order it or get notification that it has shipped and then update when it is actually in their locker.

I'm just using it to track futures purchases. Otherwise, there's a good chance that I would forget them all.

Thanks.

I'm assuming the average number given above is the year.month of bottling and NOT the average number of bottles per cellar reporting, cause that would be nuts, right?

In other words, If I wanted the most popular or stocked wine per these numbers I would look to a 1996 Château Lynch-Bagina.

Thanks.

I'm assuming the average number given above is the year.month of bottling and NOT the average number of bottles per cellar reporting, cause that would be nuts, right?

In other words, If I wanted the most popular or stocked wine per these numbers I would look to a 1996 Château Lynch-Bagina.

I believe that's correct....its all about the Bagina.

Actually, it may be year, month, but I think its probably an average of the vintages. (i.e., if there are 2 bottles of 2003 Chat Mont and 2 bottles of 2004 Chat Mont, it would report the Chat Mont at 2003.5). I could be totally wrong on that though.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

• 2 weeks later...