[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Widmer Hefeweizen

CaP'N GRuNGe

First beer i've had in a long time. Very tasty stuff. :D

About 5 years ago I took a trip to the Saarland in Germany (about an hour south of Frankfurt). In every restaurant you could either spend 2 marks on a shotglass of Coke (with ice), or for 3 marks you could get a pint glass of the wheat beer they've made in the basement for the past 200 years. Best friggin beer I ever had. The most important phrase I learned there was "Dunkel Hefeweizen, Bitte!".

• Like 1

It is one of my favorite summer brews for sure...

sad to known it is pwned by AB

AB also owns Goose Island. :D

EDIT:

Remember, they own it, they don't produce it. Goose Island and Widmer are sold producers IMO.

Edited by twiley

About 5 years ago I took a trip to the Saarland in Germany (about an hour south of Frankfurt). In every restaurant you could either spend 2 marks on a shotglass of Coke (with ice), or for 3 marks you could get a pint glass of the wheat beer they've made in the basement for the past 200 years. Best friggin beer I ever had. The most important phrase I learned there was "Dunkel Hefeweizen, Bitte!".

my board name was inspired by my trip in 99 (germany, austria, switzerland)..... best bier was in the more obscure towns.... best was in a former monestary turned biergarten in kreutzberg (not far from frankfurt).....

..... meaningless referrence: a place that mcnasty had visited as well.

Do any really come close?

none that i've tried, with one exception. some tiny brewery in boulder (i wanna say the guy's name was doyle? it was probably one batch he made in his basement) made a dunkel that was among the best i've had. they gave out 750ml bottles to all the musicians in this little thing my wife did. it probably helped that i drank it just a few days after he put it in bottles -- when it comes to most german styles, the weizens certainly included, fresher = better. this one was awesome.

Ok guys, thanks for the insults. :tup:

Like I said, it was my first beer in quite some time and I thought it was pretty smooth. Yes, i've had better but have had much worse too. I think it's a repeater. :D

I didn't read any insults. :D

All I read was opinions on beer.

You spend too much time in those political threads because I think you're a little paranoid.

AB also owns Goose Island. :D

EDIT:

Remember, they own it, they don't produce it. Goose Island and Widmer are sold producers IMO.

Actually, I believe Widmer / AB have the same type of relationship that RedHook & AB have: AB owns a minority share (up to 49%). It is a win-win for everyone: The smaller breweries get the large parent backing and pocketbook along with AB's huge distribution network. You and I can get the beer in more places. AB can say "Hey look, we actually DO make decent beer". :D

Last time I was at Widmer was after our last snowshoe trip of the year...stopped by because it is very close to a really good wings place. I won't comment on the Hefe...it's just not my thing; not here, not in Germany, not anywhere. The Drop Top Amber and Broken Halo IPA are pretty decent though.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

my board name was inspired by my trip in 99 (germany, austria, switzerland)..... best bier was in the more obscure towns.... best was in a former monestary turned biergarten in kreutzberg (not far from frankfurt).....

Was this brewery near the town of Fulda?? I went to a monestary that was on the top of a hill near the Fulda gap that had the best beer I have ever tasted....

Mmmm, memories :D

widmer is alright for an american hefe, but very rarely do they even come close to the classic germans.

My wife is a German-American. Her mother is a classic German. They both taste good to me! :D

Actually, I believe Widmer / AB have the same type of relationship that RedHook & AB have: AB owns a minority share (up to 49%). It is a win-win for everyone: The smaller breweries get the large parent backing and pocketbook along with AB's hugh distribution network. You and I can get the beer in more places. AB can say "Hey look, we actually DO make decent beer". :D

Last time I was at Widmer was after our last snowshoe trip of the year...stopped by because it is very close to a really good wings place. I won't comment on the Hefe...it's just not my thing; not here, not in Germany, not anywhere. The Drop Top Amber and Broken Halo IPA are pretty decent though.

I was at Widmer at the end of last summer, and their hefe was one of my least favorite beers. They remind me of Pyramid - everything's pretty good, but nothing stands out.

PS - Captn Grunge>get a haircut yet? :p

Even my wife thinks that Widmer Hefe is a Rosie O'Donnell beer.

:D (But seriously, she does)

So does mine. We went out tonight, and she ordered a Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. I love that stuff, but getting through a pint on draft is pretty hard work.

• 2 months later...