[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Best: Defensive Player

URLACHERisGOD

Where in the hell did that come from? Bailey's behavior on & off the field is exemplary and he is an unquestioned leader in the clubhouse.

I'll take your credibility of your comments about Taylor weighted with the comments you made about Bailey.

Hmmm, musta made a turn around since he left Washington. I remember press conferences with him and comming away with the feeling that he is a little full of himself. Just an observation. And I'm not talking about character issues like drugs or crimes just general leadership ability. Neither you nor I are in the locker room so all I have to go on is press conferences but I feel Jason Taylor would have the kind of tact and the willingness to help the DB's and LB's around him better players. This might be swayed by the fact that I have actually met him and he is super personable and likable.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a particular kind of two-step done by your local pufters. Has to do with a bowel impacted by your great BBQ and by the butt sex. It changes the stride of flouncers in your town. There may not be many butt pirates in your town, but the ones that you do have are hilarious. Their mannerisms were first adopted by Deion Sanders and have been adopted by many light weights since.

:D First we're a cow poke town, now we're all a bunch of butt pirates :D

:D First we're a cow poke town, now we're all a bunch of butt pirates :D

Actually I appreciate the KC fans. A fan of a visiting team can walk through the tailgating crowd and is more likely to get a rib than a ribbing. Very gracious and accomodating folk for the most part who prove that passion for their team does not have to turn them into raging El Guapos.

Ridiculous.....Hands down Julius Peppers. There is no defender in the league that is game planned for more than Peppers. Peppers single-handely draws the entire side of the O line at times, and very, very few OT's can handle him one on one---maybe zero, as they say he's even stronger and just as fast this year.

You might be a bigger homer than me. :D

Well, at least I have a valid argument in my case :D

You don't think Troy Polamalu changes an offensive gameplan ? :tup:

Peyton Manning has said that it is as if there are two of him out there, as he tries to look him off, yet he still makes a play on the ball. If you watch the Steelers, the first thing the opposing QB does every snap is locate Polamalu.

All that said, I wouldn't call Polamalu the best defensive player in the game, though he is up there. Peppers is phenomenal as well, and is amongst the best, but, to tell other people they are ridiculous for naming someone other than him is quite silly and homerish. :D:doh:

You don't think Troy Polamalu changes an offensive gameplan ? :D

Peyton Manning has said that it is as if there are two of him out there, as he tries to look him off, yet he still makes a play on the ball. If you watch the Steelers, the first thing the opposing QB does every snap is locate Polamalu.

All that said, I wouldn't call Polamalu the best defensive player in the game, though he is up there. Peppers is phenomenal as well, and is amongst the best, but, to tell other people they are ridiculous for naming someone other than him is quite silly and homerish. :D:doh:

That bait hardly got wet.....gotcha :tup:

Champ is not better than Urlacher. Comprende?

Care to elaborate at all? I do know that Champ can play a WR one on one without any safety help and can shut down Tony Gonzalez. But if you put Urlacher behind a mediocre DL he isn't as great as everyone thinks he is. Just like Ray Ray when he lost Siragusa and that other massive DT (name eludes me) and he was on the cover of Madden he got hurt/played hurt and didn't perform to his level because he was battling G's and C's all the time.

I think the thing that is easily forgotten with LB's in general is the DL that keeps the OL off of them. When Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher both lost their DT's they weren't the best D player in the league. I am in no way saying that any of those DT's were the best D player, just saying that they helped to make those LB's even better.

I agree with this.

IMO LB'ers (especially MLB'ers) are the most overrated players on the defensive side of the ball. not that the position is not important because it is very important. but their inflated stats make them look more important than they are.

On the flip side the DT's don't get the stats but are the main peice to controlling the line of scrimmage.

Care to elaborate at all? I do know that Champ can play a WR one on one without any safety help and can shut down Tony Gonzalez. But if you put Urlacher behind a mediocre DL he isn't as great as everyone thinks he is. Just like Ray Ray when he lost Siragusa and that other massive DT (name eludes me) and he was on the cover of Madden he got hurt/played hurt and didn't perform to his level because he was battling G's and C's all the time.

No...he never elaborates. Most of his near 15K posts are "Wow" "He's huge." "+1." "You're wrong." "That's wrong." "I'm right." "He's better."

He's all skin and bones and thinks he knows it all. I am far from the best detail guy or far from the most knowledgable but I admit it. He thinks he's the Second Coming.

Don't waste your time with him. He just does not get it.

Edited by The Wolf

Why is it that people always seem to forget about London Fletcher?

Because, though good, he isn't among the elite defensive players in the NFL, in my opinion.

London Fletcher: Linebacker ranking 16 games played unless otherwise noted.

2003 regular season ranking from NFL.COM - 13 Urlacher - 21

2004 regular season ranking from NFL.COM - 5 Urlacher - 144, 9 games played, injured

2005 regular season ranking from NFL.COM - 3 Urlacher - 13

2006 regular season ranking from NFL.COM - 3 Urlacher - 7

You can check and sort the numbers anyway you like. In my opinion, London Fletcher-Baker is vastly underated and people just seem to forget about him (my point).

He really is an elite player. I'll say better than Urlacher. No disrespect intendid, Urlacher fans.

His numbers across the board hold their own against any defensive player. He's just one of those players that quitely goes about doing his job.

I agree this is apples and oranges. If you ask 10 defensive coordinators which position is the most important on the defensive side of the field, you probably will get different answers.

If you are starting a defense, which player would you go for? That's the question I am asking myself. I personally think it all starts with a solid pass rush and that comes with monster defensive ends. Going with that, I would pick Julius Peppers. The guy is one of the best athletes in the NFL and he plays defensive end. He is a freak of nature and you can almost pencil him for a sack every game.

I agree this is apples and oranges. If you ask 10 defensive coordinators which position is the most important on the defensive side of the field, you probably will get different answers.

If you are starting a defense, which player would you go for? That's the question I am asking myself. I personally think it all starts with a solid pass rush and that comes with monster defensive ends. Going with that, I would pick Julius Peppers. The guy is one of the best athletes in the NFL and he plays defensive end. He is a freak of nature and you can almost pencil him for a sack every game.

You are now PantherDave's new love interest.

Have to say that Rodney Harrison was the man prior to his recent injury...def made more of an impact than Ed Reed. Nobody in the league could stick the receivers the way he did. Only made the pro bowl once, of course, but that was simply because everybody hated him.

Urlacher is really good, but everyone on that defense is really good so it's kind of hard to guage. I would go with Champ myself. He is a 100% shutdown corner.

This is a good way to look at it and I would agree with Julius Peppers and then throw in Jason Taylor like others have also said.

If you have a good DL that can pressure the QB and control the running game it can make your LB's and DB's look much better.

No...he never elaborates. Most of his near 15K posts are "Wow" "He's huge." "+1." "You're wrong." "That's wrong." "I'm right." "He's better."

He's all skin and bones and thinks he knows it all. I am far from the best detail guy or far from the most knowledgable but I admit it. He thinks he's the Second Coming.

Don't waste your time with him. He just does not get it.

Since you elaborated so much in your previous posts allow me to explain. :D

When you watch the Bears play Urlacher is not just an ordinary star MLB, like Ray Lewis. He often plays more like a safety with his speed and single handedly take away the running game because he just hunts down the ball. Sure the defensive line has something to do with it but that's like saying the Bronco DL, LB corps, and having John Lynch backing you up doesn't help. Now Champ is a great player and I love watching him on Sundays but he's not a "shut down" CB to the extent that it is taken to. I feel there's a very close line between he and CBs Now understanding that he's going to get beat every game, I just don't see how a CB can have 85 tackles in a season and be considered a "shut down" CB. And it's not that every time he gets beat he makes the tackle or that he's a real force when a RB comes around the corner. Now I don't win't to get too far down on Champ, who is the best player on our entire defense, but Bailey and Lynch may take out one side of the passing game, but Urlacher takes out the entire running game and is also fast enough to give the Bears the ability to rely solely on him to mark a RB or any of the POS TEs he played last year, not including Reggie Bush. I'd rather have Urlacher than Bailey on my team.

Edited by broncosn05

When you watch the Bears play Urlacher is not just an ordinary star MLB, like Ray Lewis. He often plays more like a safety with his speed and single handedly take away the running game because he just hunts down the ball. Sure the defensive line has something to do with it but that's like saying the Bronco DL, LB corps, and having John Lynch backing you up doesn't help. Now Champ is a great player and I love watching him on Sundays but he's not a "shut down" CB to the extent that it is taken to. I feel there's a very close line between he and CBs Now understanding that he's going to get beat every game, I just don't see how a CB can have 85 tackles in a season and be considered a "shut down" CB. And it's not that every time he gets beat he makes the tackle or that he's a real force when a RB comes around the corner. Now I don't win't to get too far down on Champ, who is the best player on our entire defense, but Bailey and Lynch may take out one side of the passing game, but Urlacher takes out the entire running game and is also fast enough to give the Bears the ability to rely solely on him to mark a RB or any of the POS TEs he played last year, not including Reggie Bush. I'd rather have Urlacher than Bailey on my team.

My rebuttal............ :D

This is two years ago, with Bettis at the end of his career. He had over 100 yards in just the 2nd half.

Excellent defenses all have 1 thing in common. they force the action to the middle of the field and their MLB'ers excel because of it.

Not that Urlacher is not great because he is. but no player single handedly takes out the run and if you were gonna pick 1 player who is closest to stopping the run all by himself you would have to look at 1 of the DT's.

Excellent defenses all have 1 thing in common. they force the action to the middle of the field and their MLB'ers excel because of it.

Not that Urlacher is not great because he is. but no player single handedly takes out the run and if you were gonna pick 1 player who is closest to stopping the run all by himself you would have to look at 1 of the DT's.

Fix a few things up and I could say the same thing about Bailey.

Menudo I was more impressed with his fumble in the AFC titile game. :D