[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick is all done

Crazysight

This is really sad to read:

(Rotoworld) The remains of nearly three dozen dogs were found on the property formerly owned by Michael Vick in Surry County, Virginia.Impact: Two investigations are now taking place, one by local authorities and one by the feds. The federal part of the investigation is expected to pursue charges against Vick. Local investigators may end up bowing out.

Edited by Crazysight

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've still got to tie the carcasses, fighting, & gambling to Vick. But the Feds taking over the case could very well be the beginning of the end. Poindexter obviously was dragging his feet too much and was starting to look like he was actively circumventing the investigation.

What ever happens ought to proceed quickly from this point forward. Goddell is watching...

They still have to place him there.

I still don't think he'll face any suspension.

Sounds like they actually have a number of eyewitnesses willing to testify to his presence. Would that be enough to stand up in court?

I think suspension is the least of his concerns right now. He's looking at federal prosecution. And they don't have to place him there...it's his property.

BINGO-Possesion is X% of the law....and this is the FEDS Bubba, not hick county sheriff.

That's like saying if they find a bag of Josh Gordon in his car, they have to prove that it's his and not somebody elses when he says it is. He might have gotten off had the carcases not been found, but the severity of this case has just taken a monumental leap that I was hoping I wouldn't see. He will get hit with something at this point, eyewitnesses or not.

I'm sorry, but I hope the Mother enjoys the $$$, because she raised two complete dirt bags for sons. If anyone truly thinks he had no knowledge of this...well remember, there is no air in the sand when you bury your head. I think he bankrolled the whole operation and I think the local good ole boys were in it up to their armpits. Hey, if one can think---he's clean, hell, I can think the other gambit. Guilty as hell :D

Edited by PantherDave

I'm sorry, but I hope the Mother enjoys the $$$, because she raised two complete dirt bags for sons. If anyone truly thinks he had no knowledge of this...well remember, there is no air in the sand when you bury your head. I think he bankrolled the whole operation and I think the local good ole boys were in it up to their armpits. Hey, if one can think---he's clean, hell, I can think the other gambit. Guilty as hell :D

Innocent. :D:tup:

There will be a lot of developments in this from here on out. If there are eyewitnesses who can place Vick there and/or other evidence, he may even end up getting prosecuted by the state. I would much rather face federal prosecution.

Like I said, this is just getting started.

Edited by Crazysight

By Steve Wyche

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/08/07

Federal authorities have opened their own independent investigation of dogfighting at a Virginia property owned by Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, and the state prosecutor said he sees only one target.

"Michael Vick, is he the target? Who else would be?" Commonwealth attorney Gerald Poindexter said in an interview with the Journal-Constitution.

"I never imagined such interest," Poindexter said. "Obviously if the feds come in, the jurisdictional basis is some sort of interstate violation. We don't know what it is —- the training of dogs, gambling, racketeering, whatever they want to call it."

Poindexter said federal charges could result in more severe punishment than the maximum five-year prison term in Virginia for dogfighting and animal cruelty.

James P. Knorr, from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, has been involved in the investigation for weeks. Knorr contacted Poindexter at 3:15 p.m. Thursday and told him federal agents and state police were at Vick's property at 1915 Moonlight Road and were going to search the grounds under the authority of a "sealed" warrant.

Local authorities were invited to observe, but Poindexter said deputy sheriff W.R. Brinkman was the only member of local police to go.

Chuck Rosenberg, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, who would have authorized the warrant, declined to comment through a spokesman.

Vick denied involvement in dogfighting in his one public statement shortly after police searched the grounds April 26 and seized 66 dogs, mainly pit bulls, and evidence of dogfighting. Vick has since repeatedly refused to comment on the advice of his attorney and did so again Thursday at the team's Flowery Branch headquarters. His attorney, Lawrence Woodward, has not returned repeated phone calls.

Television footage of the search showed at least seven vehicles on the premises. State police carried cardboard boxes from the area behind the house where there are dog kennels. A black SUV carrying plastic containers and boxes left the property and returned several times.

A search warrant requested by federal authorities was not executed last week after Poindexter and sheriff Harold Brown objected to some of the language. According to that warrant, which was to expire Thursday, an informant stated that up to 37 dog carcasses could be found buried on the property.

Poindexter and Brown said investigators were in South Carolina last week to talk to an inmate who said he had information about the Surry County case.

South Carolina Attorney General Henry McMaster, who instituted an Anti Dog Fighting Task Force, said he would not be surprised if the person who contacted Virginia officials was one of the people he convicted. In November 2004, David Ray Tant, whom the prosecution called the No. 2 pit-bull breeder in the country, was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in prison.

McMaster said Tant could be an informant who could link interstate information to the Virginia investigation.

"I would not be surprised," McMaster told the AJC on Thursday. "These people have national magazines. They speak in code, use language that's known only to them to explain the duration and the viciousness of the fight. Who overcame what and who won. They publish that in magazines that circulates all over the world.

"This is a group of people who know each other."

During his 2004 case, Tant contended he no longer fought dogs and that he moved exclusively into breeding after he was given immunity from previous dogfighting charges to testify in a federal case in 2001.

Virginia authorities have not ruled out continuing their own investigation. Poindexter said federal and state authorities could share information as the investigation proceeds.

The federal involvement is the latest development in a case that started in April when police went to Vick's property in a drug investigation after the arrest of Vick's cousin, Davon Boddie.

After seizing evidence related to the drug search —- including guns, ammunition, drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to the search warrant —- police issued a second warrant to investigate dogfighting and animal cruelty after finding the dogs and other items used for dogfighting.

The Newport News Daily Press spoke with Boddie Thursday. Boddie said he is solely to blame and denied dogfighting took place at the property. Poindexter, Brown and other authorities have said evidence showed the contrary.

Boddie issued an apology to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has the authority to suspend Vick under the league's player-conduct policy.

"I want [Goodell] to know that everything going on is really my fault," Boddie said. "They're just making Michael look like something he's not. I want to apologize to Atlanta Falcons fans for what's going on. It's a lot of drama."

Goodell, who spoke to Vick at the NFL draft in April, has said he is closely monitoring the dogfighting investigation. NFL security offered its help with the case on more than one occasion and has a local agent tracking developments.