[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greg Ellis wants to be released...

irish

Ellis Requests Release

Cowboys' LB Greg Ellis requested a meeting with the owner to discuss restructuring his contract. Jerry Jones, however, told the media horde today that a meeting is not going to happen. "I don't have any plans to meet with anybody that's under contract," Jones said. Ellis' response: Fine, then release me.

"That pretty much sums it up," Ellis said after Jerry's comments were relayed to him. "A player that you're serious about keeping, you don't not meet with him. I guess I can say that and be politically correct." Ellis became expendable after the Cowboys drafted DE/LB Anthony Spencer of Purdue in the first round.

Ellis Requests Release

Cowboys' LB Greg Ellis requested a meeting with the owner to discuss restructuring his contract. Jerry Jones, however, told the media horde today that a meeting is not going to happen. "I don't have any plans to meet with anybody that's under contract," Jones said. Ellis' response: Fine, then release me.

"That pretty much sums it up," Ellis said after Jerry's comments were relayed to him. "A player that you're serious about keeping, you don't not meet with him. I guess I can say that and be politically correct." Ellis became expendable after the Cowboys drafted DE/LB Anthony Spencer of Purdue in the first round.

Not sure I agree with the bolded section....

I like Ellis and respect the fact that he wants paid, but noone's gonna pay him until they see how he comes back from his injury and I don't blame JJ for that.

exactly, if he plays well this yr, he will get an extension. If he cant play, why give him a huge signing bonus now, when he is already under contract. This tells me Ellis has something to hide, and wants to get paid, before Dallas figures out he cant play next yr.

So much was made of Jones the other day saying he had no plans of visiting with linebacker Greg Ellis about his contract. And then here it is, two days later, and Jones, along with team executive vice president Stephen Jones, are having a little discussion with Ellis' representative James "Butch" Williams out here at Saturday.

Jones said he wouldn't have any comment on the little sideline discussion he had with Williams during Saturday's second practice. The two spent about 15 minutes talking while watching the practice.

Williams, though, did go inside for a short period to talk with Stephen Jones, and evidently the talks must have been amicable since the Durham, N.C., lawyer seemed to be in a good mood afterward.

"We had a good meeting," Williams said. "In the end, everything will work out."

Ellis has been squawking about his contract a second consecutive summer, trying to encourage the Cowboys to sign him to an extension with three years remaining on the seven-year deal he signed in 2003 that would pay him a signing bonus. Ellis is looking for a financial commitment from the Cowboys, although Phillips still is calling him his "starting outside linebacker."

Ellis, who said on Thursday he wasn't about to get back on the field until he was 100 percent, continued to run extremely well Saturday during his rehab session, and appears right on track to be ready for the July 24 start to training camp.

cowboys.com