[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What about auction draft's?

PantherDave

I don't care for them, but a few years ago they were the rave, now it seems they are losing some speed and popularity. This is not a bust on the auction FF'ers, but a legit question-"Are they losing popularity and quickly becoming the way of the dinosaur?"

I think it has to do with the amount of time it takes to complete an auction draft, having played in a number of auction leagues they take at least two to three times as long as a straight draft and an online auction can take days, a week, or more to complete depending on how it's run. I don't think they'll ever go away totally because it's the only way to ensure that every team has a shot at every player.

I think it has to do with the amount of time it takes to complete an auction draft, having played in a number of auction leagues they take at least two to three times as long as a straight draft and an online auction can take days, a week, or more to complete depending on how it's run. I don't think they'll ever go away totally because it's the only way to ensure that every team has a shot at every player.

I guess that's my riff with it, I truly love devising a startegy based on my draft slot and trying to influence a run etc.

I guess that's my riff with it, I truly love devising a strategy based on my draft slot and trying to influence a run etc.

I agree with this 100%. I will never participate in an auction.

No way do they take 2-3 times longer. Ours actually went a lot quicker. And I waaaayy prefer an auction to a draft with slots.

Basically, you take turns bring a guy up - someone is the auctioneer, and you do the going once, going twice, sold thing.

I truly love devising a startegy based on my draft slot and trying to influence a run etc.

I'll agree with you on this point, I like drafting either way, straight or auction, as each style has it's own different strategies, It's just a matter of how long you have to complete a draft. A 12-16 team league creates an all-day affair with an auction, assuming every team is local and can be there in person, I'll never take part in an online auction again.

I'm old school and I realise there is startegy invloved with your money etc., and making sure you have enough coin to build a solid team and not just a stud surronded by scrubs, but you have to do the same in a re-draft. If you go stud QB in round 1 or 2 your RB's or WR's will suffer. However, this is not a smear on auction leagues, but it seems their #'s are dwindling.

I'll agree with you on this point, I like drafting either way, straight or auction, as each style has it's own different strategies, It's just a matter of how long you have to complete a draft. A 12-16 team league creates an all-day affair with an auction, assuming every team is local and can be there in person, I'll never take part in an online auction again.

Seriously - all day affair???

It took our 12 team league about three hours to fill 17 slots each in an auction with everyone there.

Since all the leagues I do are slow drafts or auctions; time is not a problem. Fewer and fewer leagues can all get together at one time for a live draft with people scathered all over the world ( have players from Canada, Germany, Holland and Brazil in my leagues). About a 1/3 of the leagues I'm in use auctions instead of drafts.

I hear a lot of people say they have never tried auctions, but would like to try one. I don't think they are declining all that much. I never have problems filling auction leagues.

The only time an auction takes longer than a draft is in the online world if you are not doing it live. Using a product like Fantasy Auctioneer for a live online auction is every bit as fast as a draft. The perspective that auctions take much longer than a draft is only held by people who only know auctions through the online conducting of it like on a message board and such. Fantasy Auctioneer can be set to only allow whatever you want between successive bids and being in one that has a five or ten second clock is pretty wild and fast. It is probably too fast for people who are not versed in player value.

Auctions are not in decline overall by any means. It is the place that many mature leagues end up. The reality is that the mass majority of all leagues still meet live and it is in that venue that auctions are far superior to drafts to pretty much everyone I have ever known who have tried both. We are sort of non-typical here because most of us are very tied into the online world. Once you have done a live auction, sitting around on your hands for 22 picks before you are involved again is more boring and slow than being involved in every single player brought up. While I will always play both style of leagues and enjoy both, I personally prefer live auctions as the most fair and fun way to create a league.

Conducting a fantasy auction like it was ebay over a long period of time is MUCH less fun - agreed. But for a live way to seed teams with players, I would rather have something like fantasy auctioneer for a live auction online and if you can still be in a leauge that meets face to face, then auction night is every bit as fast as a draft and a lot more fun. You think it is entertaining when someone makes a bad draft pick, it's five times funnier to watch a guy burn a ton of money on a bad player knowing that impacts their entire team - not just one pick in a snake draft.

Auctions are not as easy for casual players because it entails knowing what players are worth and how to construct a team with limited dollars. It is not as easy as picking the top name from a cheatsheet. But for veteran leagues with good team owners that can meet live, it is every bit as fast and much more fun than a draft. They are not in decline at all, their numbers continue to increase but you don't see it as much because we are on the internet here. The reality which I very much try to keep up on is that what you are describing is much more applicable to IDP leagues that started about 5 years ago to gain steam but has leveled off at a pretty low overall percentage of all leagues (maybe 10% online at the highest and really much lower considering all live leagues). But auctions are very much alive and continuing to grow as a means for live leagues to conduct their drafts. While IDP becomes limited because it makes rosters so hugh and takes so long with a way that makes fantasy football impacted from draft through the final week of the playoffs, auctions are merely a way to create the teams in leagues and then is over - it can be adjusted to suit any type of league out there. It's just the veteran way to create teams that is a total blast when done live. It may not grow exponentially, but it continues to grow.

You tell em DMD :D

As stated, (live) auctions are if anything QUICKER than "normal" drafts.

Hey DMD, where's that "how to convince people to do auction drafts" you did some years back? Remember, the one that included a "table" comparing normal vs auction etc - it was great stuff.

I think it has to do with the amount of time it takes to complete an auction draft, having played in a number of auction leagues they take at least two to three times as long as a straight draft

Completley wrong.

No way do they take 2-3 times longer. Ours actually went a lot quicker. And I waaaayy prefer an auction to a draft with slots.

I agree 100 percent on this one.

No way do they take 2-3 times longer. Ours actually went a lot quicker.

Seriously - all day affair???

It took our 12 team league about three hours to fill 17 slots each in an auction with everyone there.

maybe we were drinking and BSing too much in the ones I've done :D

I didn't mean to imply that they were on the decline, but I just hear less and less about them, and for the record my local that went from 1989-2004 was considering switching to auction style drafts. I was just trying to gauge where they are in the FF landscape and as usual DMD is on top of the pulse of the FF world. I've never done a "live-local" which sounds like the way to go if a league is considering an auction draft. However, I will defend the "sitting on hands" in a draft as it's this time period that test a hardcore/mature owner's skill in my opinion.....the longer you wait...you tend to ponder a perhaps tweak the orginal game plan, which more often than not may throw your entire draft outta flux. I'd say that one would not be any more superior than the other and to say that "veteran" leagues mostly switch because they are now "mature"...I'd have to take that with a grain of salt as well.

Edited by PantherDave

I agree with this 100%. I will never participate in an auction.

Waaay more skill and strategy goes into Auction drafting. I played 8 straight years in the regular style draft leagues and once my leagues switched to auction in 2002 I was hooked! I will NEVER go back to the dark side. :D

Edited by theprofessor

Waaay more skill and strategy goes into Auction drafting. I played 8 straight years in the regular style draft leagues and once my leagues switched to auction in 2002 I was hooked! I will NEVER go back to the dark side. :D

I completely disagree, if you know your $ amount and are savvy about your spending it's cut and dry...fill out you your roster. It really boils down to personel/league preference regarding drafting and my buddy at the local BMW dealership is in a $200 buy in league that does an auction draft and I'm being pitched to join the league..and most likely will.

So, there will be a thread on the homepage for player values? I'm pretty sure I'm going to join the auction league here in town and would like to count on The Huddle for my info going into it and any auctioneers who want to pump me some strategy would be appreciated....as this old FF dog is not afraid to learn some new tricks.

We will be providing auction values for all players this year and even will be showing what they are in both 12 team and 10 team leagues since that tends to changes things a bit.

I completely disagree, if you know your $ amount and are savvy about your spending it's cut and dry...

:D Sorry you have it backwards. Auctions are WAY less cut n dry than reg drafts. They move 100 times quicker and things can and often do change very quickly ie any player can go anytime etc.

As for being on the decline, I don't think so but don't think they are or will "take over" traditional drafts any time soon like some expected, probably due to a lot of leagues being online ie not live.

Thank you. Auction Drafts :D > Traditional Drafts :D

I'm not attacking "auction" drafts....damn you auctioneers are sensitive!!!! Now the supierior attitude being displayed by auctioneers is another story all together.

Truth hurts eh :D

I'm not saying they're "better" FYI. I just think some of what you're saying is inaccurate about them. It's not like "non-auction drafts are for newbies blah blah" - I like the traditional drafts too (tho not as much) and with a good group of owners you need to be on top of your game also, as I think DMD has already mentioned.

But auctions add an extra element that requires an additional type of knowledge or ability when drafting. I think his article he linked to explains some of the why's also.

Edited by BeeR

Truth hurts eh :D

I'm not saying they're "better" FYI. I just think some of what you're saying is inaccurate about them. It's not like "non-auction drafts are for newbies blah blah" - I like the traditional drafts too (tho not as much) and with a good group of owners you need to be on top of your game also, as I think DMD has already mentioned.

But auctions add an extra element that requires an additional type of knowledge or ability when drafting. I think his article he linked to explains some of the why's also.

I could be totally inaccurate, as I've never done a "live-local" and this league I mentioned is exactly that type of format. I ask these questions for my own awarness and knowledge, as it seems this particular commish like this format because he's far better at it than his league mates. So, if I decide to join this league I want to be prepared...as like I stated, some feel he does this format to create FF pigeons for himself and I'd like to go in there and kick his cocky azz at his own game.

Edited by PantherDave