[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles Def. Report

Collected from a few sources

DE- Kearse, Cole/Howard- Probably a rotation like the beginning of last season. Howard will be in over Cole on run-downs. Some rumors about Howard possibly being cut but I have yet to see a link. Thomas and Abiamiri in the mix as well

DT- Patterson, Bunkley- Lots of good words about Bunkly's progress this season. Scott & Reagor, maybe Ramsey in the rotation

LB- WLB- Spikes, MLB Trotter/Gaither, SLB- Gocong. Trotter is slated to start at MLB as of now but with his knees he could be cut or demoted and allow Gaither to start. At SLB if Gocong proves in TC he isn't ready to start look for Spikes to move over to SLB and Gaither to start at WLB. Read some good stuff about Bradley picking up the schemes fairly quickly but have yet to see a rookie make an early impact in Johnson's Def. Tank Daniels may be the top back-up after Gaither.

CB- Sheppard & S. Brown- W. James will be the nickel but is vying for the starting job vs. Brown. James has a little better size but has a history of injuries. Hanson, Fox and Barksdale will compete for the 4th spot

S- Dawkins & Considine- Dawkins still has a couple years left left. Considine has put on weight and should hold up better than last year when he had a bad shoulder. Mikell is the top back-up. Besides drafting Gaddis they have E. Harris in NFL-Europe and brought in M. Pascal from Iowa. For whatever reason, a lot of UDFAs seem to make their team at DB but I don't see any playmakers here outside of Dawkins and Considine.

Collected from a few sources

DE- Kearse, Cole/Howard- Probably a rotation like the beginning of last season. Howard will be in over Cole on run-downs. Some rumors about Howard possibly being cut but I have yet to see a link. Thomas and Abiamiri in the mix as well

So is Kearse fully healed then? I heard he needs to put on some weight.

So is Kearse fully healed then? I heard he needs to put on some weight.

Ready to go but still a little light. I thought I had read it on philly.com but I can't find the link right now. I think he needs to add about 10-15 pounds if I remember correctly but otherwise he is healthy.

The report looks good but I have a couple of things to add:

Trotter is the starting MLB. He has lost 15 LBs and has some of his quickness back. He is slated to play during running downs only and Gaither will spell him on passing downs.

Kearse has looked great so far in camp. He is looking to gain a bit of weight but they don't want him to lose the quickness he has shown. The Birds do look for a complete rotation on DL both at tackle and at DE.

Kearse info.

Consider the source isn't a big Kearse fan and works for WIP (Gary Cobb)

Link

Right now Jevon is living like he's not playing football any more. I like Jevon, he's a nice guy, but right now I'm talking strictly about football. I've heard he's been having a great time down there near South Beach, partying with thousands of beautiful women. I heard he threw a great party for the guys over in Moorestown, when they were here for the mini camp. I don't have a problem with all that, but he had better come back here at the end of July, looking like he's ready to do battle with 300 pound monsters, because that's his job.

The dude had better get on the weights, put on some good muscle and look like a defensive end, rather than a wide receiver. A number of football people I talked to, told me he looked like Detroit Lions number one pick, wide receiver Calvin Johnson. Right now from everything I've seen and heard, he's not ready to play football. Playing football in the trenches in the NFL requires a certain mentality and I don't think that Kearse is in a football mindset. Believe I understand getting a taste of the good life and getting seduced by it. Believe me, I can tell by looking at Kearse that he hasn't been doing a thing down there in Florida but "partying like a rock star". The boys say he's got a collection of divas that will make your eyes pop out.

Mark my words, if Jevon doesn't get in a football mentality quickly, he'll come back here and get hurt. Then he'll sit around for the season and collect a check. It may already be too late at this point. Remember you heard it first here.

Edited by Zooty

• 1 month later...

link

The quarterback situation might be the most interesting situation, but the development of the defense is the most important issue for the Eagles in this training camp.

It has been a while since the Eagles have been considered among the elite defenses in the NFL, and they certainly didn't come close to playing at that level a year ago.

It wasn't just that they ranked 26th among 32 teams in rushing yards allowed, although it is tough to win a championship if you can't stop the run. The Eagles allowed 136.4 rushing yards per game, which was the most they had yielded since coach Ray Rhodes' 3-13 team in 1998 that surrendered an astonishing 151 yards per game.

The Eagles also allowed 20.5 points per game, which was an improvement over the 2005 season but still considerably more points than they gave up in any of their five other trips to the playoffs during Jim Johnson's reign as the defensive coordinator.

All we know right now is that this defense is going to be different.

The revolving door at the outside-linebacker positions has brought in veteran Takeo Spikes at weakside linebacker and Chris Gocong at strongside linebacker. Spikes, 30 and two years removed from Achilles tendon surgery on his right foot, played in just 15 games the last two seasons. Gocong, who missed his entire rookie season, has never played in an NFL game. Add in the fact that middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, 30, had a decline in production last season, and linebacker remains a big question mark for the Eagles.

So does the defensive line. Brodrick Bunkley, coming off a disappointing rookie season, replaces the departed Darwin Walker as a starter at defensive tackle and will be counted on to have a productive season. The Eagles also will need more out of Mike Patterson than he provided in his sophomore NFL season. Insurance at the defensive-tackle positions was obtained when the Eagles signed veterans Montae Reagor and Ian Scott.

At defensive end, the Eagles have depth, but they also have questions. Jevon Kearse, who'll be 31 six days before the start of the regular season, is coming off major surgery on his left knee that ended his 2006 season in Week 2. Darren Howard, the Eagles' big free-agent acquisition before last season, is 30 and coming off a disappointing season. Trent Cole and Juqua Thomas both played well last season and ended the year as the starters. Rookie Victor Abiamiri will try to work his way into Johnson's rotation at defensive end.

In the secondary, Sean Considine is opening the season as the starting strong safety for the first time in his career, and William James has replaced the departed Rod Hood as the No. 3 cornerback behind Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown.

"I like to get as many players involved as possible," Johnson said. "I like rotating people. I like rotating tackles. If you have good depth, then I like playing six or seven defensive backs sometimes. I like matchups, and I like to have as many players involved as possible. They compete harder. They play harder, and they're fresher."

The defense, at least on paper, looks like it has a chance to be good, and it looks like it has depth. That can change in a hurry.

Interview With B. Dawkins

Edited by Zooty

From the Eagles website

NEWS AND NOTES AND THIS AND THAT

* Still hearing great reviews on Brodrick Bunkley, who is making huge strides at defensive tackle. He and Mike Patterson are having outstanding camps.

* I can't really say for sure who is the fourth safety on this team. I know the kids have to grow up in a hurry if they want to make a push, and young veteran Erick Harris is opening some eyes these last couple of days.

* Jevon Kearse looks great. I heard a fan moan at practice on Friday afternoon that Kearse looks "skinny," but that is a bum rap. Now that the story has taken a life of its own, fans who don't educate themselves just follow the headlines. Kearse looks like he looked last year and the year before.

Breakdown of players by position.

Good stuff on the LBs

Here

I've said it before and I have backed it up with aquiring him in every dynasty IDP I could....... Gaither will be the starting MLB for the Eagles by mid-season if not before! The kid is just too talented not to force his way into that spot!