[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

clam broth

montster

there are a couple recipes i've come across (boston clam chowder is one; new orleans-style shrimp is the other) that call for clam broth. all i've ever seen in stores is clam juice, which i'm betting isn't the same thing. i haven't tried to make either recipe, and i've never gone out of my way to find clam broth, but i've checked in grocery stores, seafood stores and specialty stores and have never seen it. so can clam juice be substituted for clam broth, and, if not, any suggestions on where i can find clam broth?

Clam broth is gotten from a steamer only, as the clams open while being steamed thier juice drains down into the boiling water, you then strain the now broth through a strainer and bottle it for chowders/seafood stews etc, so if you want true clam broth get about a 100 clams and buy a steamer with the spicket on the boiling pan. You can substitute with the clam "juice"-Calmato can be used for Manhattan style.

Clam broth is gotten from a steamer only, as the clams open while being steamed thier juice drains down into the boiling water, you then strain the now broth through a strainer and bottle it for chowders/seafood stews etc, so if you want true clam broth get about a 100 clams and buy a steamer with the spicket on the boiling pan. You can substitute with the clam "juice"-Calmato can be used for Manhattan style.

:D

it pleases me when you give correct info :D

and montster, you can use clam juice with water as a sub..... how you want to dillute it (%) is up to you.

:tup:

it pleases me when you give correct info :doh:

and montster, you can use clam juice with water as a sub..... how you want to dillute it (%) is up to you.

That's a snub about the whole charcoal vs propane thing....aint it :D

Hey, I live on the coast...and with all the Oyster Roast I've thrown and other yummies I've steamed up, I'd have to say I'm the self proclaimed "steamer" specilaist :D .

Edited by PantherDave

You dont "boil" them..you steam them. A steamer has three parts;

#1-Boiling Pot with a stainless steel spicket, this is where the water goes.

#2-Steaming Pot gets a little thinner at the bottom and slides down over the top of the boiling pot and has several holes in the bottom around the size of a pencil eraser for the steam to go up and the broth to go down.This about 2/3rd's bigger in height than the boiling pot

#3- The Lid

I boil "no" seafood I have two steamers and use them often. I steam my shrimp(far better to me than boiling them), clam and oysters a given, I also poach fish in them and you can steam corn and potatoes in them as well, crab legs and lobster as well.

You sit the steamer on a stand they sale with a propane burner underneath, set the steamer on it and crank up the flame. Lift the lid after 15-20 minutes and the steam should be rolling by then-place clams etc in and have a beer.

Edited by PantherDave

i have to be honest..... i really haven't looked for it (often use clam juice in certain recipes). but, if you can't find it, not sure it is available like chicken, beef, or veg broth.

The company that makes "Clamato" has several other flavors out now..and I think one is just "clam juice".

You can use clam juice in place of clam broth. When you're away from the coast it about the only option you have.

FWIW, if you don't complain about feeling the blood clot heading to your brain than it's not a "traditional" New England style clam chowder. I'll try and dig up my recipe if anyone is interested.

You dont "boil" them..you steam them. A steamer has three parts;

#1-Boiling Pot with a stainless steel spicket, this is where the water goes.

#2-Steaming Pot gets a little thinner at the bottom and slides down over the top of the boiling pot and has several holes in the bottom around the size of a pencil eraser for the steam to go up and the broth to go down.This about 2/3rd's bigger in height than the boiling pot

#3- The Lid

I boil "no" seafood I have two steamers and use them often. I steam my shrimp(far better to me than boiling them), clam and oysters a given, I also poach fish in them and you can steam corn and potatoes in them as well, crab legs and lobster as well.

You sit the steamer on a stand they sale with a propane burner underneath, set the steamer on it and crank up the flame. Lift the lid after 15-20 minutes and the steam should be rolling by then-place clams etc in and have a beer.

i mis-typed. i understood what you meant but accidentally typed "boil" instead of "steam."

You can use clam juice in place of clam broth. When you're away from the coast it about the only option you have.

FWIW, if you don't complain about feeling the blood clot heading to your brain than it's not a "traditional" New England style clam chowder. I'll try and dig up my recipe if anyone is interested.

i'm guessing you're saying it should be thick and buttery. if so, please post it. i've never made homemade chowder but have been meaning to.

mont.... i've been on vacation for about a week and pretty much posting short responses.

traditional clam chowder:

1 qt canned, minced clams with juice

3/4 qt water

10 oz bacon slices, diced

1 med white or yellow onion (as finely diced as you can)

about 4 oz of flour

1 lb potatoes, peeled and small dice

1 1/4 qt milk, hot

1/2 c heavy cream, hot

s & p to taste

drain clams. save juice. combine juice and water into a sauce pan. bring to bowl then reduce heat to keep warm. in heavy sauce pot render bacon over med heat. remove and set aside with slotted spoon. add onions to pork fat. sweat them (tender with no color). add enough flour to make roux (about 4 min)...don't want it brown. slowly whisk in clam juice/water mixture. bring to boils, whisking constantly (want the liquid smooth). add potatoes. simmer until tender. stir in clams, hot milk&cream, and bacon... heat gently but do not boil..... season.

gotta stir very frequently.... easy to burn the bottom of soups... and that can quickly ruin the whole batch.

can serve in sourdough bread boules... sprinkle with chopped parsley if you like.

• 4 years later...

mont.... i've been on vacation for about a week and pretty much posting short responses.

traditional clam chowder:

1 qt canned, minced clams with juice

3/4 qt water

10 oz bacon slices, diced

1 med white or yellow onion (as finely diced as you can)

about 4 oz of flour

1 lb potatoes, peeled and small dice

1 1/4 qt milk, hot

1/2 c heavy cream, hot

s & p to taste

drain clams. save juice. combine juice and water into a sauce pan. bring to bowl then reduce heat to keep warm. in heavy sauce pot render bacon over med heat. remove and set aside with slotted spoon. add onions to pork fat. sweat them (tender with no color). add enough flour to make roux (about 4 min)...don't want it brown. slowly whisk in clam juice/water mixture. bring to boils, whisking constantly (want the liquid smooth). add potatoes. simmer until tender. stir in clams, hot milk&cream, and bacon... heat gently but do not boil..... season.

gotta stir very frequently.... easy to burn the bottom of soups... and that can quickly ruin the whole batch.

can serve in sourdough bread boules... sprinkle with chopped parsley if you like.

Thanks!