[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers Passing Game

Menudo

O.k. I've got a thought, and I'm going to share it. Yes, I'm a Steelers homer, as we all are well aware. However, I've already been on record as saying that I think the Steelers might just miss the playoffs this year, as it will definitely be a transition season, with the new coaching staff and many questions still unanswered from last year's dismal season. I think the Steelers are one of the biggest question marks this season. I understand those that think they are going to have another rough year this year, and I also can see points from those that say last year was a fluke and they could contend again. However, this post has nothing to do with that.

I think the Steelers passing game components could be had at good value this year. Everyone still sees the Steelers as the stubborn run-first and run-often approach that has been consistently their offense for sometime. However, this is a new coaching staff, and Bruce Arians despite what he says to the media, really likes to throw the ball, as he showed in Cleveland. The Steelers are already talking about coming out in 4 Wide sets on 1st downs, something they haven't done in Cowher's area. The hurry-up is also something they are excited about. I think you are going to see an improvement in the offensive passing game players this year.

Cowher was as persistent and as stubborn as could be, which led to Steelers success, but, limited the Steelers QB's, WR's, & TE's in regards to fantasy numbers. I think this will change. I think you will see a lot more passing. Whether it leads to success in the win-loss column for the Steelers, I have my doubts, but, I see an increase in numbers from Ben, Ward, & Heath. I also see a breakout year from Santonio Holmes. Roethlisberger, actually put up decent fantasy numbers in his career, in relation to his opportunities. I think with an opened up offense, he has potential to be a steal, with where he will go in the drafts. The same can be said for Ward & Holmes, but, Heath Miller is the one I really expect to bust out this year. I think he can finish as a Top 5 TE in a new opened up offense. I know that is somewhat bold, but, that is what I see.

As for Parker, it might be a slight step-back this year in his rushing yards, but, I see him making up for it in the passing game.

Take all of this for what it's worth, but, I read Steeler reports everyday, and based off of those, I see a pretty decent increase in the Steelers QB, WR, TE fantasy-wise for the upcoming season.

As for the Steelers in general, this is as pessimistic as I've been in a while. I still think they are very talented, but, I think the transition to a new style / coach will pay a cost. Their schedule will have them getting off to a good start, but, their brutal end of their schedule might be heart-breaking for Steeler fans. However, I like seeing a somewhat weak opening schedule, as those early wins could be confidence builders, if they happen.

P.S. I went to a wedding, and I'm as drunk as I've been since my son was born 5 months ago, so, if none of that made sense, accept my apologies. :D

Edited by Menudo

Big Ben is probably in the Top 15 for QBs but won't crack the Top 10.

Hines Ward is Top 20 but not Top 15.

Holmes will be in Top 40.

You are right about one thing, Heath Miller does give you your best fantasy potential other than Parker at their respective position. He will probably not be Top 10 but just outside it.

Big Ben is probably in the Top 15 for QBs but won't crack the Top 10.

Hines Ward is Top 20 but not Top 15.

Holmes will be in Top 40.

You are right about one thing, Heath Miller does give you your best fantasy potential other than Parker at their respective position. He will probably not be Top 10 but just outside it.

I understand your thoughts, but, I think all 4 could be better than that this year. However, besides that point, the main thing I'm trying to get across is that they could be steals because their value is being perceived based on the offesne that was run by an entirely different coaching staff.

I understand your thoughts, but, I think all 4 could be better than that this year. However, besides that point, the main thing I'm trying to get across is that they could be steals because their value is being perceived based on the offesne that was run by an entirely different coaching staff.

Agreed, going from a predominantley run-oriented offense to what they will run this year, it is very possible that most if not all of the players involved in the Pitt passing offense will be had cheaply and out-perform their draft position.

O.k. I've got a thought, and I'm going to share it. Yes, I'm a Steelers homer ....

P.S. I went to a wedding, and I'm as drunk as I've been since my son was born 5 months ago, so, if none of that made sense, accept my apologies. :tup:

Actually, it was remarkably lucid :D

Here's hoping they can play some defense :D

Roethlisberger jumped from the #19 fantasy QB in 2005 to the #11 fantasy QB in 2006. Very reasonable to suggest he'll finish in the top 10 this year.

11th fantasy QB in Cowher type offense is pretty good. Now Ariens wants to stretch things out, run the no huddle, let Ben call audibles. I don't understand not letting a QB call audibles. They know what will work and what won't when they get to the line of scrimmage more than the coordinator knows what will work when they call the play in the huddle.

Ben runs a very good no huddle too.

I pretty much agree with what you said. In the recent mock draft 2 I was thinking basically the same thing. Holmes was the one who I thought could really exceed expectations and be good value.

Roethlisberger jumped from the #19 fantasy QB in 2005 to the #11 fantasy QB in 2006. Very reasonable to suggest he'll finish in the top 10 this year.

He was 12th in one of my leagues and 15th if you look at weekly average (which corrects for injuries and you throw out the one spot starter ahead of him).

Either way I expect him to throw the ball more and have a more pass oriented offense.

So, yes I agree with Meundo too :D

You lost me right about there . . . :D

Well you shouldn't have even made it that far......once you saw the title had Steelers in it and saw who started the thread, he should have had you right there :D