[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vegas police press case against Pacman

spain

Wednesday, 06/13/07

Vegas police press case against Pacman

They'll renew call today for felony charge; Jones drops NFL appeal

By PAUL KUHARSKY

Staff Writer

A day after Pacman Jones abandoned an appeal of his yearlong NFL suspension, Las Vegas police will take what they believe is a fortified case to the district attorney today, trying to persuade him to move forward with charges against the Titans cornerback.

If Clark County District Attorney David Roger is swayed and moves forward, official charges against Jones probably would kill any chance he has to be reinstated by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after 10 games this fall.

Las Vegas police have been investigating Jones' role in a Feb. 19 strip club melee that ended with a triple shooting. On March 26, police publicly recommended that the district attorney file three charges against Jones: felony coercion, misdemeanor battery and misdemeanor threats to life.

Police labeled Jones an "inciter" but said they had not established any link between him and the unidentified gunman. Roger requested further investigation.

"They are going to the DA's office" today, said Jose Montoya, information officer for the Las Vegas Metro Police Department. "They are probably looking at the same charges. They think they've got a little bit stronger of a case."

Attorneys representing Jones did not return phone calls. His agent, Michael Huyghue, said he's dealing with league matters while the attorneys deal with criminal issues.

Jones wants closure

Huyghue accompanied Jones to New York on Tuesday, where the Titan met with Goodell. Jones and Goodell were alone for 30 minutes, according to the agent.

Huyghue said they knew they faced an uphill battle in asking the person who issued the penalty to reduce it and that Jones ultimately decided he preferred closure. Jones was suspended after being arrested five times and having 10 encounters with police since the Titans drafted him in 2005.

"There was a lot of legal stuff going back and forth, and he just wasn't really comfortable with all of that," Huyghue said. "He just decided that he was going to accept the commissioner's discipline and try to move forward."

Neither the NFL nor the Titans commented. Jones issued a statement:

"Last week I asked for an opportunity to speak privately with Commissioner Goodell. I met with him earlier today to tell him about the steps I have taken to change my life since being suspended from the National Football League.

"I accept the discipline that has been imposed on me, and I told the Commissioner today that I am withdrawing my appeal. I understand my responsibilities to my teammates, the Tennessee Titans, and our fans, and I am committed to turning my life around and being a positive member of the NFL going forward."

Huyghue said Jones is in Nashville full time but will eventually do some training in Jacksonville, Fla.

The agent said Jones has been making his weekly visit to team headquarters as outlined in the suspension and will do some work online toward his degree from West Virginia University.

Times of despair have given Jones a better read of who his real friends are, Huyghue said, providing a "strong awakening in that regard."

"And he'll stay out of trouble so he'll have a chance to get back on the field this year," Huyghue said.

Reinstatement at stake

Jones' suspension includes a provision for his reinstatement after 10 games provided he abides by the conditions and gets in no further trouble.

His chance at reinstatement will disappear if charges are filed in Las Vegas or if a pending case in Georgia results in a conviction.

Al Dixon, assistant district attorney in Griffin Judicial Circuit in Fayetteville, Ga., said nothing has changed in the case there. The April order that pushed back a trial for Jones on a felony obstruction charge was sealed by a judge and isn't expected on the docket until September. "It's still in a holding pattern," Dixon said.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...xhPsz6VXsZKo%3D